London Fletcher hanging 'em up.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Redskins MLB London Fletcher announced on Wednesday that he's "99 percent certain" that he will retire at the end of the season.

What a career it has been for the former undrafted rookie out of John Carroll. He was signed by the Rams in 1998 and won the team's Rookie of the Year award before taking over as the starting middle linebacker in 1999 and leading the Super Bowl champion Rams in tackles. Fletcher, 38, has yet to miss a game in his 16-year career. He's a four-time Pro Bowler -- all with the Redskins. Fletcher led the NFL in tackles from 2000-09, racking up 1,244 stops. He also spent five seasons with the Bills. Fletcher's likely headed for the Hall of Fame.

-rotoworld

...the one that got away.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Letting him go was so stupid... criminal charges should have been brought against the idiot who made the decision.

Yet to miss a game in 16 years. WOW

Alan

Legend
Great Ram. I hope he didn't have many concussions in his long distinguished career. I'd hate to hear any bad news on that front as the years go by.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yep - have always been pissed about our brilliant front office letting him go. One of the greatest LBs to play the game IMO.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It was Lovies call to let him walk and get Jamie Duncan

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
True but someone had to let Lovie make that dumb call. They were all dummies on this one.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I knew it was a mistake, he was the best player on that defense.

HOF? Geez I don't know if he'll make it but I'd vote for him if I had one.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember an interview last year with Mike Martz and he said the one thing he regrets during his time in St.Louis was letting London Fletcher leave...he also pretty much said he didn't know anything about the decision until he heard it on the radio or read it in the paper...something along those lines.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I remember an interview last year with Mike Martz and he said the one thing he regrets during his time in St.Louis was letting London Fletcher leave...he also pretty much said he didn't know anything about the decision until he heard it on the radio or read it in the paper...something along those lines.

Wow what a great setup the Rams had.:rolleyes: The HC didn't even know what players were coming or going.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I don't believe Martz if he actually did say that because he had final word on the roster, period. Nobody got on it or off it without his say so.

He let Lovie get his guy and it meant losing Fletcher.

Congrats to London on a brilliant career, I believe he is in the top 5 for tackles in a career. He belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I don't believe Martz if he actually did say that because he had final word on the roster, period. Nobody got on it or off it without his say so.

Congrats to London on a brilliant career, I believe he is in the top 5 for tackles in a career. He belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Absolutely correct.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
It's a sad day for football. He's been an incredible asset to the game.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I dunno Les. That was one of the dividing lines between Martz and our illustrious FO of Ziggy and Shaw. I can easily see those ass hats pulling this kind of crap.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
HOFer in my opinion. I wish that 1% of indecisiveness was to come back to the Lou. I guess dot com is finally ready to go offline.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I seem to recall Zygmunt didn't think he was worth the FA dollars.

I suspect in that dysfunctional mess of a front office, Martz and Lovie were pressured into going another direction.

JZ was a certified dumb-ass.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You guys should know that the history on this is well documented.

Martz let Smith get Duncan because he was supposed to be a better fit for his defense.

And Fletcher went on to be huge all over the NFL.

fearsomefour

Legend
Redskins MLB London Fletcher announced on Wednesday that he's "99 percent certain" that he will retire at the end of the season.

What a career it has been for the former undrafted rookie out of John Carroll. He was signed by the Rams in 1998 and won the team's Rookie of the Year award before taking over as the starting middle linebacker in 1999 and leading the Super Bowl champion Rams in tackles. Fletcher, 38, has yet to miss a game in his 16-year career. He's a four-time Pro Bowler -- all with the Redskins. Fletcher led the NFL in tackles from 2000-09, racking up 1,244 stops. He also spent five seasons with the Bills. Fletcher's likely headed for the Hall of Fame.

-rotoworld

...the one that got away.

The one that got away indeed. Several amazing facts in that short little blip….lead the NFL in tackles from 2000-2009, never missed a game in a 16 year career….most punters or kickers couldnt say that, forget about a LB….AMAZING PLAYER….HOF SHOULD BE A NO BRAINER.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Shame, we should have never let that guy go. NFL's going to be worse off with him gone, both in good play and good sportsmanship.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
You guys should know that the history on this is well documented.

Martz let Smith get Duncan because he was supposed to be a better fit for his defense.

And Fletcher went on to be huge all over the NFL.
The part I remember about it was the FO line that they couldn't afford both Little and Fletcher. Remembering that Zygmunt was an accountant GM, there's the distinct possibility that Zyggy did lay down terms. That Lovie was given a choice which of the 2 he could keep and he chose Little.