London Calling

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/27/nfl-oakland-raiders-las-vegas-raiders-next-relocation-city-london

Beyond Vegas: London Is Calling the NFL
The ease with which the Raiders left Oakland for Las Vegas shows that NFL teams will chase the next dollar no matter where it can be made. That also means the next team to relocate will likely need passports
by Albert Breer

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfK-WX2pa8c

PHOENIX — To some in the room, the speed at which everything moved on Monday morning at the NFL’s annual meeting was jarring.

Maybe it was that 18 of the 32 teams were represented on either the stadium or finance committee, so there was little need to belabor the particulars about the Raiders’ proposed move to Las Vegas. Maybe it was this particular relocation had been thoroughly vetted in the fall. Or maybe the owners were just sick of talking about it.

No matter the reason, this is how it went in the room: the Raiders made their presentation, the floor opened for discussion, that discussion was minimal, and owner Mark Davis was given the green light to move his team by a 31-1 vote. It was a relatively painless phase of what’s supposed to be a painful process, and to some it begged an obvious question: Is it becoming too easy for teams to chase the next dollar?

The next obvious question: Where does the next dollar come from?

The answer I got Monday afternoon after asking around at the Arizona Biltmore was just as simple as the morning’s business proceedings. The next frontier isn’t likely to be the vacated markets of Oakland, San Diego or St. Louis. It’s overseas.

“I’m not aware of anyone else who’s interested in leaving their home market at this time, so I’d be surprised if anything popped up in that regard,” Chiefs CEO Clark Hunt said. “However, as chairman of the international committee, we are discussing what the best way is to continue to grow the business internationally and it’s no secret that a subject that’s been floated is one day having a team that’s playing at least their regular season schedule overseas.

“So that’d be the only thing I’d see in the near future. It’s certainly not imminent.”

Maybe not. But at the very least, London seems to have moved into the on-deck circle.

First, some history. Near the end of the old CBA, as the game’s popularity was exploding and reaching a saturation point, the NFL recognized that it was going to become harder to grow up, so it needed to grow out. That meant adding inventory, which was the talk about 18 regular-season games, expanded playoffs, Thursday night games, a return to Los Angeles, and, perhaps most notably, globalization.

The NFL had launched the International Series in 2007 with a singular focus on building in London, while quietly setting a 15-year goal of becoming the first North American sports league to base a franchise there. One London game for the first six years became two in 2013, and two in 2013 became three in 2014. This year, the NFL will play four games in London (half of a home schedule) for the first time.

Next year, a dual-purpose stadium the NFL invested in at Tottenham will open; it’s the first one being built overseas for both American football and the British kind. After that, the hope is to eventually get to an eight-game series in London, which could either be the precursor to a club landing there or simply the long-term solution.

“First time we went there, I said that in the next decade, I think there should be a team here,” Patriots owner Robert Kraft said. “I still think we should have a team there, and then probably on the continent.

I don’t know how it’ll work, we’ll have to work the logistics … How would it work? Who would it be? … But I wouldn’t be surprised if in the next five to seven years we have a team there. Maybe sooner.”

The logistics won’t be easy.

The league has looked at adding a second bye week to the schedule to help manage such a massive undertaking, and concepts such as having the London team play in blocks—three games in the U.K., then three stateside—have been discussed.

Air travel remains an issue, as does making tricky one-off situations (say, a Seattle vs. London wild-card game) doable. In addition to being based in the U.K., the team would likely have a U.S. training facility as well, maybe in Florida, for extended stays.

There’s also the question of who would go. As Hunt said, there aren’t very many immediate candidates.

“No fan or community is going to suddenly wake up and find out that their team is thinking about moving,” NFL EVP Eric Grubman said. “The precursor is an aging stadium that is not being maintained, a lack of competitiveness in that stadium as an economic engine, and nobody doing anything about it. If those things are present, the clouds are gathering, and usually people aren’t silent about it.

“So if you look around the league, I don’t think all those things are in place in any other market. Could they be in five or 10 years? Yes. But not now, and I see no reason to suggest that’s going to happen.”

Grubman also affirmed Hunt and Kraft in saying that working on the International Series now becomes “the most important thing that people are working on that involves the playing of games.” And again, in five years or so, maybe that means playing eight games with different teams in London. Or maybe it’ll mean a franchise like Buffalo or Jacksonville starting to explore the idea of going there permanently.

Which brings us back to the expedience of Monday morning’s process. Two or three years ago, Las Vegas wasn’t on anyone’s radar as a potential landing spot for whoever would lose out in the race to Los Angeles. But an incredible deal for the Raiders emerged from the ashes of their failed Carson project, one that was so good that only one owner could manage to tell Davis no on Monday.

The bottom line: the next dollar was in the desert, so now the Raiders are there too. And the cold business of that process tells us that whoever comes next may well be looking for a good exchange rate.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I can't see the NFL ever having a Franchise in London! Can you imagin having to travel from London to the States 8 times a season!!!?! JMHO!

Psycho_X

Legend
The NFL really needs to pull back on its reigns and quit going for the quick buck while alienating more markets they already have. Every time I see an Eric Grubman quote it reads like he's already building up the excuses to shit on the next market. He probably would have thrown his own mother under a bus if someone promised him a more expensive house to move into.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
No thanks the games would be stupid early and for an entire season. No effin way. I am ok with once a year, but yeah NFL needs to stop getting territory hungry.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I can't see the NFL ever having a Franchise in London! Can you imagin having to travel from London to the States 8 times a season!!!?! JMHO!

I am not in favor of it, but if they add another bye week then it would likely be 4 home then a bye then 8 away then a bye and 4 home (or the inverse) to limit travel. The team would likely have a US practice facility or 2 for the long periods over here.

Once again I am not really in favor of such a team, but I think if they do it the team a would not travel like current teams but do games in large blocks to limit their trips.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
And the NFL wants to shorten up overtime , because that extra 5 minutes is to tiring

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Up next we have the London Jaguars facing off against the Hong Kong Bengals for a change to play the Sydney Titans in the Super World Bowl.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
WOW! I hadn't even thought of the international Tax Head-Aches this would cause!:dizzy:

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Absolute filth from the NFL being in cahoots with Sp*rs. Leaves a very bitter taste.

Psycho_X

Legend
being in cahoots with Sp*rs.

I don't know what this statement means. Is that Spurs? Not sure why censored.

Edit: never mind I see, Tottenham Hotspurs I guess is the reference? Had to google that one lol.

Zero

Pro Bowler
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/27/nfl-oakland-raiders-las-vegas-raiders-next-relocation-city-london

Beyond Vegas: London Is Calling the NFL
The ease with which the Raiders left Oakland for Las Vegas shows that NFL teams will chase the next dollar no matter where it can be made. That also means the next team to relocate will likely need passports
by Albert Breer

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfK-WX2pa8c

PHOENIX — To some in the room, the speed at which everything moved on Monday morning at the NFL’s annual meeting was jarring.

Maybe it was that 18 of the 32 teams were represented on either the stadium or finance committee, so there was little need to belabor the particulars about the Raiders’ proposed move to Las Vegas. Maybe it was this particular relocation had been thoroughly vetted in the fall. Or maybe the owners were just sick of talking about it.

No matter the reason, this is how it went in the room: the Raiders made their presentation, the floor opened for discussion, that discussion was minimal, and owner Mark Davis was given the green light to move his team by a 31-1 vote. It was a relatively painless phase of what’s supposed to be a painful process, and to some it begged an obvious question: Is it becoming too easy for teams to chase the next dollar?

The next obvious question: Where does the next dollar come from?

The answer I got Monday afternoon after asking around at the Arizona Biltmore was just as simple as the morning’s business proceedings. The next frontier isn’t likely to be the vacated markets of Oakland, San Diego or St. Louis. It’s overseas.

“I’m not aware of anyone else who’s interested in leaving their home market at this time, so I’d be surprised if anything popped up in that regard,” Chiefs CEO Clark Hunt said. “However, as chairman of the international committee, we are discussing what the best way is to continue to grow the business internationally and it’s no secret that a subject that’s been floated is one day having a team that’s playing at least their regular season schedule overseas.

“So that’d be the only thing I’d see in the near future. It’s certainly not imminent.”

Maybe not. But at the very least, London seems to have moved into the on-deck circle.

First, some history. Near the end of the old CBA, as the game’s popularity was exploding and reaching a saturation point, the NFL recognized that it was going to become harder to grow up, so it needed to grow out. That meant adding inventory, which was the talk about 18 regular-season games, expanded playoffs, Thursday night games, a return to Los Angeles, and, perhaps most notably, globalization.

The NFL had launched the International Series in 2007 with a singular focus on building in London, while quietly setting a 15-year goal of becoming the first North American sports league to base a franchise there. One London game for the first six years became two in 2013, and two in 2013 became three in 2014. This year, the NFL will play four games in London (half of a home schedule) for the first time.

Next year, a dual-purpose stadium the NFL invested in at Tottenham will open; it’s the first one being built overseas for both American football and the British kind. After that, the hope is to eventually get to an eight-game series in London, which could either be the precursor to a club landing there or simply the long-term solution.

“First time we went there, I said that in the next decade, I think there should be a team here,” Patriots owner Robert Kraft said. “I still think we should have a team there, and then probably on the continent.

I don’t know how it’ll work, we’ll have to work the logistics … How would it work? Who would it be? … But I wouldn’t be surprised if in the next five to seven years we have a team there. Maybe sooner.”

The league has looked at adding a second bye week to the schedule to help manage such a massive undertaking, and concepts such as having the London team play in blocks—three games in the U.K., then three stateside—have been discussed.

Air travel remains an issue, as does making tricky one-off situations (say, a Seattle vs. London wild-card game) doable. In addition to being based in the U.K., the team would likely have a U.S. training facility as well, maybe in Florida, for extended stays.

There’s also the question of who would go. As Hunt said, there aren’t very many immediate candidates.

“No fan or community is going to suddenly wake up and find out that their team is thinking about moving,” NFL EVP Eric Grubman said. “The precursor is an aging stadium that is not being maintained, a lack of competitiveness in that stadium as an economic engine, and nobody doing anything about it. If those things are present, the clouds are gathering, and usually people aren’t silent about it.

“So if you look around the league, I don’t think all those things are in place in any other market. Could they be in five or 10 years? Yes. But not now, and I see no reason to suggest that’s going to happen.”

Grubman also affirmed Hunt and Kraft in saying that working on the International Series now becomes “the most important thing that people are working on that involves the playing of games.” And again, in five years or so, maybe that means playing eight games with different teams in London. Or maybe it’ll mean a franchise like Buffalo or Jacksonville starting to explore the idea of going there permanently.

Which brings us back to the expedience of Monday morning’s process. Two or three years ago, Las Vegas wasn’t on anyone’s radar as a potential landing spot for whoever would lose out in the race to Los Angeles. But an incredible deal for the Raiders emerged from the ashes of their failed Carson project, one that was so good that only one owner could manage to tell Davis no on Monday.

The bottom line: the next dollar was in the desert, so now the Raiders are there too. And the cold business of that process tells us that whoever comes next may well be looking for a good exchange rate.

As a teenager, I played that album until the needle fell off.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
We don't want a team. We want continued exposure to the product as is.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
F that. Put 12 or more teams in Europe/Asia and let them play for a chance to compete against the NFLs best team in the World Bowl.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I've mentioned this before, and I'm certain that it's gonna happen just a matter of time. NFL doesn't care what fans think, it's about money.

I'll make the prediction again: it will be the Jaguars. They are a perfect fit with London, Jax is never going to satisfy the league, and whatever costs are incurred will be exceeded by the prestige and new TV deal it brings in England. The league has been phasing in more and more games for a reason. The logistics will simply change to center around one team's schedule instead of multiple teams, and they'll probably package the away and home games to help the London team minimize travel as much as possible.

Once they get London up and running they won't stop there. I expect they will probably do an expansion in Europe with multiple teams, standing up an entire division of 5 or so teams. What the players think doesn't matter. What the fans think doesn't matter. What the refs think doesn't matter. The potential for income growth will drive it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

The logistics don't work. Period.
But the want and greed will overcome that fact eventually.

The answer is clearly Mexico, but the NFL doesn't see enough dollar signs there...and then there's the political bullshit which opens a whole new can of worms.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would think Mexico City at least is in the running with London. Not the logistics problem London has. NFL has been playing games in Mexico City longer than they have in London.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I would think Mexico City at least is in the running with London. Not the logistics problem London has. NFL has been playing games in Mexico City longer than they have in London.
I agree wholeheartedly. The NFL hosted a game in Mexico City last season...the first one since 2005. The NFL equivalent to throwing them a bone, while London has seen 17 games since 2007.

Why? You just have to ask yourself. The political thing that's grown in the last say...10 years.

Dollars in sponsorship, advertising, marketing South of the border just don't compete with the NFL ties in Europe. Nevermind that the logistics are so ridiculous that scheduling in Europe affects every single team currently in the NFL.

The NFL putting teams in Europe only works for the owners and the fans in Europe. You can spin a taco any way you want...but you can't eat it upside down.