Lol @ Jacksonville

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
12 seconds left, 3rd and 2. Field goal wins it but you have no timeouts. Obviously you try for an out route to the sideline right? Lol nope. Let's try a 55 yarder with Josh Scobee. I feel bad for Jaguar fans.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
They had time for 1 more play! You just tell Bortles to not take a sack and throw an out. If they don't get out of bounds its all over - but Scobee has made a 59 yarder before and actually has an NFL record for number of +50 yd kicks in a game - so the guy has a leg at least. It was a bit unfortunate it was blocked.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
12 seconds left, 3rd and 2. Field goal wins it but you have no timeouts. Obviously you try for an out route to the sideline right? Lol nope. Let's try a 55 yarder with Josh Scobee. I feel bad for Jaguar fans.

They made the right decision. No reason to risk a game losing sack or tackle in bounds. They just laughably failed on special teams.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Scobee can kick a 55 yarder fairly easily. It's not like it was a bad decision if everybody executed. Too bad the rest of their special teams is crap.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They had time for 1 more play! You just tell Bortles to not take a sack and throw an out. If they don't get out of bounds its all over - but Scobee has made a 59 yarder before and actually has an NFL record for number of +50 yd kicks in a game - so the guy has a leg at least. It was a bit unfortunate it was blocked.

Yeah but at that point why not try for one more play? They're like, the only team that would do that. It's frustrating to see. I wish football was hard to understand for me, because then I wouldn't question if I could do the same job as some of these guys.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Scobee can kick a 55 yarder fairly easily. It's not like it was a bad decision if everybody executed. Too bad the rest of their special teams is crap.
IMO, your an NFL team and you need to be confident in your ability to get 5 yards with plenty of time left. I say you should never leave any "what ifs" on the field.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
IMO, your an NFL team and you need to be confident in your ability to get 5 yards with plenty of time left. I say you should never leave any "what ifs" on the field.

I understand what you're saying, but the risk was high and they didn't have the greatest day offensively as it was. They definitely could have gone for a quick out, but they took the safer play knowing that Scobee has the leg to hit 55 yards no problem.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I understand what you're saying, but the risk was high and they didn't have the greatest day offensively as it was. They definitely could have gone for a quick out, but they took the safer play knowing that Scobee has the leg to hit 55 yards no problem.

Good point. Maybe I'm underestimating Scobees leg. Because he never impressed me as a place kicker.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
And what would you have done if GZ was your kicker?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
And what would you have done if GZ was your kicker?

It didn't matter if Jesus was the kicker. 12 seconds left on 3rd and 2 you should at least try to get a couple more yards. Especially with longer field goals you always are going to have a low projectory and it easier to block. I'm not saying they would have gotten it, but if that was the Rams I would have been pissed if we didn't at least try.

Alan

Legend
Legatron4 with a lack of faith:
It didn't matter if Jesus was the kicker. 12 seconds left on 3rd and 2 you should at least try to get a couple more yards. Especially with longer field goals you always are going to have a low projectory and it easier to block. I'm not saying they would have gotten it, but if that was the Rams I would have been pissed if we didn't at least try.
I'm pretty sure Jesus would have made that kick. :LOL:

Athos

Legend

Typical Jags. I feel for Bortles. Will be stuck on a putrid team for the majority if not entirety of this rookie deal. I don't get the appeal of ANYONE wanting to stay in that dump. Not only is MS a hellhole, Jacksonville is too.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm pretty sure Jesus would have made that kick. :LOL:
anigif_enhanced-buzz-7340-1344445263-13.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah but at that point why not try for one more play? They're like, the only team that would do that. It's frustrating to see. I wish football was hard to understand for me, because then I wouldn't question if I could do the same job as some of these guys.

That's a whole lot of arrogance. Football is hard to understand. Quite hard to understand at the NFL level. You're looking at a certain situation in hindsight. But the risks in that situation are pretty great. The Jaguars have a rookie QB behind a bad OL with young WRs.(3 of their top 4 WRs are rookies) If Bortles is sacked, intercepted or his WR goes down in boudns, the Jaguars lose.

They are within Scobee's range.

Good point. Maybe I'm underestimating Scobees leg. Because he never impressed me as a place kicker.

I think you are. He hit 92% of his FGs last year including 4 of 5 from 50+ yards. He has a long of 59 yards. He has more than enough leg to hit from 55 and is one of the best in the league. From 2011 to 2013(last 3 years), Scobee went 10/13 from 50+ yards(77%).

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Find it difficult to find amusement in other teams struggles when mine sits at 1-3...Now the Yankees not making post season, that's truly enjoyable.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
That's a whole lot of arrogance. Football is hard to understand. Quite hard to understand at the NFL level. You're looking at a certain situation in hindsight. But the risks in that situation are pretty great. The Jaguars have a rookie QB behind a bad OL with young WRs.(3 of their top 4 WRs are rookies) If Bortles is sacked, intercepted or his WR goes down in boudns, the Jaguars lose.

They are within Scobee's range.

I think you are. He hit 92% of his FGs last year including 4 of 5 from 50+ yards. He has a long of 59 yards. He has more than enough leg to hit from 55 and is one of the best in the league. From 2011 to 2013(last 3 years), Scobee went 10/13 from 50+ yards(77%).

I don't think it's arrogance. What I'm saying is, on a professional level, there should never be a question of "what if". With what you said, I would rather take the chance to get a few more yards to get an easier attempt at a game winning field goal. If you don't get it, you have the same chance as you did before on 3rd down. Also, there's been countless coaches that came in and clearly didn't know what the fuck they were doing. Spags and Linehan come to mind. You really don't think you could coach a team to a 2-14 record? And yes, I didn't realize Scobee was as good as his statistics say at longer field goals. Back to the original point, regardless of your talent, you need to be able to to take chances in the NFL. That's how you win games. Not by attempting a long field goal on 3rd and short with 12 seconds left in the game. 31 other teams would go for that first down in that situation.

Ramathon

I think you mean 'trajectory'.

The trouble is there just isn't a high percentage option available in that situation. If you try another play, everybody in the world knows you have to get out of bounds. Not overly high probabilities of success there. Of course, the odds for making a FG probably aren't significantly better. I couldn't find fault with a team for making either choice in that situation.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I think you mean 'trajectory'.

The trouble is there just isn't a high percentage option available in that situation. If you try another play, everybody in the world knows you have to get out of bounds. Not overly high probabilities of success there. Of course, the odds for making a FG probably aren't significantly better. I couldn't find fault with a team for making either choice in that situation.

My bad I thought it looked weird lol and yeah that's a good point. But teams have found ways to do it before. Hell, in 2012 in the playoffs, Falcons vs Seahawks, Matt Ryan had to drive about 60 yards to get in field goal range in about 30 sec. Everybody knew what he had to do and who he was going to throw too, but I guess good teams overcome those situations and bad teams, like Jacksonville, fail miserably.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Idk, you said it yourself that it should have been an out. Wouldn't that be what the defense covers? Interception or sack and you are out, and who do the Jags have to lean on? If you have a Calvin Johnson, or Roddy White and Julio Jones, perhaps you try. I personally try the kick in their situation.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Idk, you said it yourself that it should have been an out. Wouldn't that be what the defense covers? Interception or sack and you are out, and who do the Jags have to lean on? If you have a Calvin Johnson, or Roddy White and Julio Jones, perhaps you try. I personally try the kick in their situation.

There's tons of different combinations of an out route. You could go bunch formation, spread, H-back. Try to get it out to your full back or something. This is obviously just nit picking but I think decisions like that are the reason teams like us and the Jaguars are at the bottom every year.