Local STL peeps, I need your opinion.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GcBean

Rookie
Name
Gil
I will be retiring from the service late next year and I'm looking to ditch SoCal for the midwest. STL is an interesting option for many reasons. The only thing that's holding me back is the levels of violent crime. We were looking at the Brentwood area. Any recommendations? I'm half hispanic, my wife is asian. I noticed the percentage of both asian and hispanic are quite low. Would we "fit in" okay? Just looking for some ideas from the local STL crowd. Thanks and GO RAMS!

GcBean

Rookie
Name
Gil
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Believe me, I love many things about this place, but I can get so much more house for the $$$ elsewhere. Suburbs of Chicago are an option as well.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The crime in St. Louis as a whole is misleading. Yes, there are areas in the city that are awful (the north and east sides are some of the worst in the country, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone), but the FBI determines the levels of violent crime by using the city alone, not the surrounding county areas. That's because the city decided to separate itself from the county in the 1800s for very short-sighted reasons. The county areas themselves are very, very peaceful and have very little crime. Brentwood falls under the county part; there's not much crime there.

As for fitting in...I've never seen problems in the county areas; I think most people in the county are very tolerant. I could be wrong, though, so someone else might be better able to answer that question.

Whichever way you decide to go, I want to thank you for your service and wish you and your wife good luck in finding a home.

superfan24

Starter
GcBean said:
Believe me, I love many things about this place, but I can get so much more house for the $$$ elsewhere. Suburbs of Chicago are an option as well.

The suburbs of Chicago is a very good option :bign:
We need more rams fans around here anyway.

GcBean

Rookie
Name
Gil
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
superfan24 said:
GcBean said:

Oh yeah... Chicago is right up there with our options! Arlington Heights? Other recommendations would be great. I might be in for a big shock with those winters though.

Memento,
Thanks a lot for the kind words. It's been a fast 19 years, and it's been fun. Definitely ready to move forward though.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
I love the city but have come to the conclusion that its only hope is to be absorbed into the county. Its a doughnut area without a middle.

Brentwood is wonderful and the cost of living here is very good for a large metro area.

The only reason to go to the city is to see the Rams or the Cardinals anymore.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
jimitroutboy said:
I love the city but have come to the conclusion that its only hope is to be absorbed into the county. Its a doughnut area without a middle.

Brentwood is wonderful and the cost of living here is very good for a large metro area.

The only reason to go to the city is to see the Rams or the Cardinals anymore.

And the Blues. Don't forget the Blues.

:cheese:

Guard

UDFA
Can't add much to the discussion about where to relocate, just wanted to chime in and say thanks for your service. I spent 25 years in, and retired 3 years ago. Still miss putting the uniform on every day, but retirement is sweet. Good luck to you and the Mrs.

superfan24

Starter
GcBean said:
superfan24 said:
GcBean said:

Oh yeah... Chicago is right up there with our options! Arlington Heights? Other recommendations would be great. I might be in for a big shock with those winters though.

Memento,
Thanks a lot for the kind words. It's been a fast 19 years, and it's been fun. Definitely ready to move forward though.

Really can't go wrong with Arlington Heights and most of the other suburbs. Yes the winter does suck most years.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
superfan24 said:
GcBean said:
superfan24 said:
GcBean said:

Memento,

Really can't go wrong with Arlington Heights and most of the other suburbs. Yes the winter does suck most years.
Sounds like the summers suck too. Why's it so freaking hot up there?

superfan24

Starter
X said:
superfan24 said:
GcBean said:
superfan24 said:
GcBean said:

Memento,

Sounds like the summers suck too. Why's it so freaking hot up there?

There was a crazy two week stretch of constant 100 degree weather, but it has "cooled off" a bit here. We don't get as hot as STL though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
superfan24 said:
There was a crazy two week stretch of constant 100 degree weather, but it has "cooled off" a bit here. We don't get as hot as STL though.
That's true. STL sounds like hell about this time.

Florida sucks too though, so I dunno. That's why I'm moving to the Pacific NW in a couple years.

Lesson

Oh, really?
X said:
superfan24 said:

Florida sucks too though, so I dunno. That's why I'm moving to the Pacific NW in a couple years.

You have an ocean to go to. We have a fucking river that we can't go swimming in.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Lesson said:
X said:
superfan24 said:

You have an ocean to go to. We have a fucking river that we can't go swimming in.
Yeah, oceans are so refreshing. It's like a giant salty pool of seaweedy piss and sharp coral.

WoOoOt!