Listening to Martz...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
as always I enjoy hearing what he has to say and this most recent stream was no different. One thing he mentioned that I felt was noteworthy was that he was not a fan of having the QB making protection calls and checking to other plays because he wants to make things as simple as possible for him to focus on getting the ball to the open receiver quickly with accuracy. Of course that really got me thinking of how the Rams are currently doing things and whether that type of approach might be something that could help them.

Some other stuff I enjoyed was him mentioning how they blindfolded Kitna and had him throw a route with 8/10 completions in practice simply to press home the point of timing and the WR being where they need to be. The attention to detail he discussed on route running, the receiver being exactly where he had to be at exactly the right moment is something that I think this offense is lacking.

Anyway, I would hope there is an alternate universe somewhere, where Fish had hired Mad Mike this past offseason. If so, I am certain the Rams problems do not include the passing game production. Perhaps Foles is in traction in a hospital, but I'll bet his numbers look good. I really do think Martz has that level of ability as a teacher and gameplanner. Lastly, he admitted how much he misses coaching... You up for it Fish???

nighttrain

Legend
as always I enjoy hearing what he has to say and this most recent stream was no different. One thing he mentioned that I felt was noteworthy was that he was not a fan of having the QB making protection calls and checking to other plays because he wants to make things as simple as possible for him to focus on getting the ball to the open receiver quickly with accuracy. Of course that really got me thinking of how the Rams are currently doing things and whether that type of approach might be something that could help them.

Some other stuff I enjoyed was him mentioning how they blindfolded Kitna and had him throw a route with 8/10 completions in practice simply to press home the point of timing and the WR being where they need to be. The attention to detail he discussed on route running, the receiver being exactly where he had to be at exactly the right moment is something that I think this offense is lacking.

Anyway, I would hope there is an alternate universe somewhere, where Fish had hired Mad Mike this past offseason. If so, I am certain the Rams problems do not include the passing game production. Perhaps Foles is in traction in a hospital, but I'll bet his numbers look good. I really do think Martz has that level of ability as a teacher and gameplanner. Lastly, he admitted how much he misses coaching... You up for it Fish???
Want me some Mad Mike
train

FRO

Legend
Speaking of Martz. Why don't teams run that 15-20 yard in route anymore. That was a staple in the Martz offense and seemed to work regularly. I know you need a good line, but nobody seems to use that.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
If Martz could accept his role as a consultant or an assistant coach, instead of an OC or HC, he could really help this offense out. I'd be happy to bring him in, just not with so much power. Similar to when the Titans brought in Gregg Williams a couple years ago and their D got a lot better.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd bet the house that the Rams offense would be at least in the middle of the pack with Martz as OC. Third downs wouldn't be a problem either.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Speaking of Martz. Why don't teams run that 15-20 yard in route anymore. That was a staple in the Martz offense and seemed to work regularly. I know you need a good line, but nobody seems to use that.

We ran the dig this week. Foles overthrew Quick. It was on the first drive. We ran it quite a bit last year with Quick before he got injured.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would love to see Mike Martz on the sidelines, but there is one thing I do remember. His offenses never did well with bad offensive lines. I am not saying that other coordinators have successes with them. I am only remembering what I saw. Timing is everything in a Martz run offense and weak offensive line leave room for disruption.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
We ran the dig this week. Foles overthrew Quick. It was on the first drive. We ran it quite a bit last year with Quick before he got injured.

Foles overthrew Quick? Surely not!

While watching Sunday's game, I was all for giving a roster spot to the imaginary point about 5 feet above Quick's head seeing as it was Foles' favourite target. With Foles no longer starting, we'd have to demote the 'imaginary point' to the practice squad.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great OC, bad HC and damaged goods now.

No one will touch him.

Kinda sad... he (his ego, in particular) turned out to be his worst enemy.

Great offensive mind, tho.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd bet the house that the Rams offense would be at least in the middle of the pack with Martz as OC. Third downs wouldn't be a problem either.
Not sure about that at all.

Not with this Oline... those long developing plays he likes?

Remember what happened to Cutler in Chicago?

Remember what McDaniels did to us?

The Oline has to be strong for those systems to work effectively.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
With the passing game as bad as it is, Martz really couldn't hurt us that much to experiment with. Imagine Tavon on timed routes downfield! That's big play potential.