Lions waive Greg Robinson/Signed by Browns

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Goes to show that O-line evaluations have to be done between based on the scheme played and mental acuity. Not a fan of drafting athletic linemen who are mentally susceptible to blowing up assignments

Ditto, big time.

They were seduced by his athleticism (which seemed to be a Fisher theme) and prioritized that over mental acuity and readiness. On the offensive side of the ball, you simply cannot just prioritize athleticism to the near exclusion of other factors and then hope you can coach these guys up. They are not simply pieces of clay to be molded.

This leads me to one thing I love about McVay, his emphasis on a player's ability from "the neck up".

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Blessing in disguise. Now Grob can focus all of his attention on his aspiring Hip Hop career.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
hmmmm

he'll be signed (by someone) by the end of the week

and on the field my next month....

RedRam

Pro Bowler
HNoNB78.gif

Ram65

Legend
I still thought the Rams could salvage him as a backup. They at least knew when to say when and trade him. The Rams got a 6th rounder for him.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
hmmmm

Wow, problem is people look at his physical abilities and think he should be a fine player, but that's not how it works.... If you could look at him and visually see his mental/ psychological ability or lack thereof, it would be easy to see. In that case, looking at him he would look like a 90lb weakling because he obviously does not care or does not want to put the work in to excel.

There have been a lot of guys over the years that look like Tarzan and play like Jane, and he is the poster child for that old saying. Having said that, sure someone will pick him up, just like we picked up the guy from Detroit. Teams are always looking to find a body with ability in the hope that something finally clicks... Right now, he is in that category of JAGs that teams hope can somehow help them at some point if needed.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Wow, problem is people look at his physical abilities and think he should be a fine player, but that's not how it works.... If you could look at him and visually see his mental/ psychological ability or lack thereof, it would be easy to see. In that case, looking at him he would look like a 90lb weakling because he obviously does not care or does not want to put the work in to excel.

There have been a lot of guys over the years that look like Tarzan and play like Jane, and he is the poster child for that old saying. Having said that, sure someone will pick him up, just like we picked up the guy from Detroit. Teams are always looking to find a body with ability in the hope that something finally clicks... Right now, he is in that category of JAGs that teams hope can somehow help them at some point if needed.

There will always be coaches that are so arrogant in their beliefs about their abilities to "coach a player up" that guys like GR get multiple opportunities.

It never fails.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I still thought the Rams could salvage him as a backup. They at least knew when to say when and trade him. The Rams got a 6th rounder for him.

Will be funny if we draft an O-linemen with that pick who happens to be more productive than GRob

tempests

Hall of Fame
I feel bad for the guy. I would like to see him succeed somewhere. It'd be a nice story.

Just don't think he ever gained any confidence at this level. Some of his public comments and seeing his demeanour on the field, the flag throwing officials have him rattled.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
hmmmm

What’s your take on this? Is he not good enough? No brains? Obviously the staff saw something they didn’t like.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I feel bad for the guy. I would like to see him succeed somewhere. It'd be a nice story.

Just don't think he ever gained any confidence at this level. Some of his public comments and seeing his demeanour on the field, the flag throwing officials have him rattled.

I really don't think he cares or that he understands that you have to work to be good at this level. With his size and ability he probably never had to put the time in to be a top player at lower levels. So he just does not get it.

I have seen that on a more local level with kids that my son grew up with. You have kids that are studs in middle school. Just bigger and more athletic at a younger age than most others. Some get big heads and they just don't ever see the need to keep working to get better because they already are the stars of their Little League or Pop Warner teams and then same in middle school... but then things start to change. Other kids catch up to them physically and these kids show more drive and put the extra time in the batting cage, weight room, or the field and they start to bypass the naturally gifted kid. Eventually the Little League star is regulated to the bench and then eventually quits in most cases.

My son was a good baseball and football player from Little League/Pop Warner thru middle school, but on the skinny side and not real tall, but he busted his hump and after really focusing on baseball, but not getting a lot of time in middle school because of his slight build I think, he blossomed in HS. He sprouted up, stayed kind of skinny though, but became all league and is now playing college baseball...only D3, but still very cool. Especially when he is like one of only 2 or 3 kids from his class that moved on to play in college and those big talented middle schoolers never even made it in HS.

So this is just a situation where this caught up to Robinson when he had to leave a college gimmick offense behind and start playing in an NFL scheme against other talented players and he doesn't even know how to work and get better or care about it because he got paid already.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

Again...there is a league wide issue with O-Line development. I remember reading about Erick Flowers the LT we just played on the Giants. Same issues as Greg...Yet he played pretty good. Why do I say that? Never heard the name of the guy playing across from him....Not once. Looked like Fluker had all the trouble. Aaron Donald can do that. My point...Is Flowers really that bad??? Ask Longacre...ask Quinn....ask Samson....ask Barwin.

Is Greg really that bad....or has he been badly trained? Hell, Jamon Brown went from being a future All-Pro to terrible...and now he's decent again.

Guys on the line that look like Tarzan, with good coaching, usually play like Tarzan.

Of course...you always have to look at....what's the motivation? Are they motivated to playing good football?

What’s your take on this? Is he not good enough? No brains? Obviously the staff saw something they didn’t like.
I like that HC....and I love that OC....I think Caldwell is a no nonsense type of guy...If Greg doesn't look like he's giving 100%.....not motivated....I could see him running him outta town once his LT Decker returns from injury.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Again...there is a league wide issue with O-Line development. I remember reading about Erick Flowers the LT we just played on the Giants. Same issues as Greg...Yet he played pretty good. Why do I say that? Never heard the name of the guy playing across from him....Not once. Looked like Fluker had all the trouble. Aaron Donald can do that. My point...Is Flowers really that bad??? Ask Longacre...ask Quinn....ask Samson....ask Barwin.

Is Greg really that bad....or has he been badly trained? Hell, Jamon Brown went from being a future All-Pro to terrible...and now he's decent again.

Guys on the line that look like Tarzan, with good coaching, usually play like Tarzan.

Of course...you always have to look at....what's the motivation? Are they motivated to playing good football?

Still comes down to how important it is and whether a player really understands what it takes to be great as opposed to just functioning to get by. Robinson just does not have that fire. Even with Kromer, he must have seen that the kid just does not have it or want it... Detroit saw the same thing and cut their losses.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

To sum all that up...he is a JAG at this point in his career and not worth to even have on your roster when he is dinged up.