Lions released Louis Delmas

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Rams made him an offer last offseason.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in for a visit.

jjab360

Legend
We should be all over that. Obviously, we were already interested seeing as we made him an offer before and he is a great fit for our defense. He finally had a relatively healthy season in '13, I can definitely see him in horns next year.

Alan

Legend
Why do we need an expensive SS?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325714/article/detroit-lions-release-safety-louis-delmas

" Louis Delmas was one of the signature players of the Jim Schwartz era: Talented, inconsistent, and a little reckless.

It only makes sense that Delmas is an ex-Lion now that Schwartz is gone too. DetroitLions.com reported Thursday that Delmas was released, saving them $6 million against the cap.

The move comes on the same day that the Lions cut Nate Burleson, as the team moves forward into the Jim Caldwell era. New defensive coordinator Teryl Austin namechecked Delmas at his introductory press conference, but the Lions apparently decided that Delmas didn't fit the team's new scheme.

The news comes as a mild surprise to some in Detroit. (But not to ATL's Kevin Patra, who predicted this move was coming. Boom.)

Delmas becomes one of the more interesting defensive free agents available. He's struggled to stay healthy as a pro, but was able to start all 16 games last year. His tendency to go for a big hit instead of playing the ball often betrayed him, and he wasn't quite worth his salary. Still, he's a slightly above average starter that remains in his prime.

There aren't many strong safeties like him left in the NFL and he will be a starter somewhere in 2014."

(Jeff)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lol...yeah, we'd love to have a lot of players cheap.

The Fisher/Williams defense has always used safeties interchangeably (FS/SS)...so I think Delmas would fit.

Anyway, I just thought that since the Rams had interest last year they probably are at least very aware of this move.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
We can do better. I thought he slipped a little last year. He would be good depth.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I would rather have Byrd. But whoever it is, I am not a big fan of McCleud

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I would rather have Byrd. But whoever it is, I am not a big fan of McCleud
I was actually just going through scenarios in my head...Delmas being released might let the Bills let Byrd walk since Schwartz is now in Buffalo.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Cheap $$ as a starter/depth player (y)

Expensive $$ as a starter/depth player NO MAS Delmas (n)

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Put me in the category of if a player helps your team win games paying him market value is acceptable.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
He is relatively young and plays fairly decent. His aggressive tendencies could fit a Williams defensive scheme well. We need depth at safety pretty badly and he should be a quality player for what we can pay to get him. Go for it!

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I think modern rules make big hitting safeties obsolete. You know they are looking to throw the flag on those all day long.