Lions release Titus Young (shocker)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mike O'Hara agrees with the release of Titus Young, but not the timing

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.detroitlions.com/news/ohara/article-1/Mike-OHara-agrees-with-the-release-of-Titus-Young-but-not-the-timing/8bf86ba5-d771-4e72-9113-b1915ac9c82a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.detroitlions.com/news/ohara/ ... 915ac9c82a</a>

The Detroit Lions' decision to cut Titus Young is no surprise. There was no way GM Martin Mayhew was bringing the talented but troubled - and trouble-making - wide receiver back for a third season with the Lions.

The timing of Young's release is another matter.

He was let go on Monday, the day after Super Bowl XLVII and the first day under NFL rules that teams are allowed to release players under contract.

There is no disagreement here with dumping Young. His behavior all of last year, from punching teammate Louis Delmas in the offseason to deliberately lining up in the wrong position in a loss to the Packers in Game 10, made it imperative that he never play another down for the Lions.

By his actions, Young broke the code that binds teammates. He violated their trust.

My only disagreement with the decision is the timing. I would have waited and tried to deal Young for anything in return, either a player, draft pick or an exchange of draft picks. I've made that opinion known, again in this week's Monday Countdown column, and that feeling hasn't changed.

Mayhew no doubt felt that Young would have no value on the trade market, so he acted as soon as he could.

A barrage of recent tweets by Young only made the situation more toxic. It ended any remote possibility of Young returning.

In the end, I can sum up my feelings about Young's departure in fewer than the maximum 140 characters allowed in one of his tweets:

Too bad. Surprised by timing. Someone else's problem, including his own.

So would it shock you if the Rams picked him up? Would it bother you? Not saying it would happen, but it's certainly a possibility. However, according to the waiver wire positioning, these teams would have to pass on him in order for the Rams to claim him. Anyone there you think would take a flyer on him? I see a few...

Kansas City Chiefs
Jacksonville Jaguars
Oakland Raiders
Philadelphia Eagles
Detroit Lions
Cleveland Browns
Arizona Cardinals
Buffalo Bills
New York Jets
Tennessee Titans
San Diego Chargers
Miami Dolphins
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints

iced

I do not want us taking a flier on this kids - do not bring this cancer anywhere near our locker room.

I can't say for sure that no one will sign him, but I have my doubts. When you're intentionally sabotaging your team with penalties, that says a lot. Did he even play special teams? That's wasting a spot on the active roster imo.

I think he sealed his fate by provoking the organization on twitter. I can't see an NFL coach signing him this off season, especially after looking at the trouble he's brought to the locker room.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
iced said:
I do not want us taking a flier on this kids - do not bring this cancer anywhere near our locker room.

I can't say for sure that no one will sign him, but I have my doubts. When you're intentionally sabotaging your team with penalties, that says a lot. Did he even play special teams? That's wasting a spot on the active roster imo.

I think he sealed his fate by provoking the organization on twitter. I can't see an NFL coach signing him this off season, especially after looking at the trouble he's brought to the locker room.
I agree he's a numbnut. No question about it. But do you think Fisher could work with him? Get him on track? I mean, take a look at the head-cases he's taken chances with before while he was with the Titans. Titus isn't really any worse. He's just a big crybaby primadonna douchebag. But so what? We need receivers, and Fisher tends to get guys in line. Pick him up, sign him for a year, if he doesn't work out, cut him during camp and you're no worse off than before. You probably just end up owing him his signing bonus. Or whatever.

Beggars (teams with serious wide receiver needs) can't be choosers.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think the timing speaks to exactly how badly they wanted him gone.

Try to get a draft pick for him? Nah. Even the draft pick would carry the stench of his existence.

Speeps

Starter
I wouldn't touch Titus Young. He's proven that he isn't a team player and can be very difficult to coach. He handled the Detroit Lions situation terribly and it will cost him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
There's no fucking way any team's going to take a chance on him for two reasons.

First off, what exactly has he proven in the NFL? Austin Pettis and Brandon Gibson had better seasons this year than both of Young's seasons in the NFL combined, and this was with Megatron drawing away coverages from Young. Hell, Ryan Broyles was going to replace him until he went down with an injury. This guy has absolutely no talent whatsoever.

Secondly, he's a total thug who has all sorts of unfixable character issues. He sucker-punched a respected team captain for no reason, deliberately undermined his coaches and teammates by committing penalties on purpose, whined about not getting the ball when Calvin fucking Johnson is on his team, and made a total douche out of himself by demanding that they release him.

Seriously, there's not a single team in the NFL who's going to want to take a chance on this childish, tantrum-throwing, punk-ass fucker. I hope that the Rams stay the hell away from him. Give me Kenny Britt any day over him; Britt may be a total jackass off the field, but at least he's a talented jackass who won't undermine a team's authority.

…..

Legend
X said:
Beggars (teams with serious wide receiver needs) can't be choosers.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

Under a 1 year contract, I would take the chance to see if Fisher can tone down the act. There is no mistaking the talent level here and remember that we may already have a calming influence on the roster....Austin Pettis was his team mate at Boise and they had an extremely successful time together.

…..

Legend
Memento said:

First off, what exactly has he proven in the NFL? Austin Pettis and Brandon Gibson had better seasons this year than both of Young's seasons in the NFL combined, and this was with Megatron drawing away coverages from Young. Hell, Ryan Broyles was going to replace him until he went down with an injury. This guy has absolutely no talent whatsoever.

I'd like to point out the wisdom in your sig...It says it much easier to be critical than correct.

Most of your post is spot on. The above paragraph however, left me scratching my head. I'm not gonna pull up stats or anything, because you're probably right stat wise. But I'm gonna use the ol gut check on this one. Also keep in mind Titus was benched for 35% of the season. He didnt lose his job on merit, he lost his job cause he's an idiot.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Honestly, I'm not sure he gets past those first four teams you listed.

…..

Legend
doh!

I didnt even consider waiver priority.

yeah you're right 503, we wont see him in St Louis.

oh well...the search continues....

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The Dog said:
Memento said:

I'd like to point out the wisdom in your sig...It says it much easier to be critical than correct.

Most of your post is spot on. The above paragraph however, left me scratching my head. I'm not gonna pull up stats or anything, because you're probably right stat wise. But I'm gonna use the ol gut check on this one. Also keep in mind Titus was benched for 35% of the season. He didnt lose his job on merit, he lost his job cause he's an idiot.

He was benched because Broyles became a better option in every aspect of the game. Broyles got open. Young did not. Broyles caught the passes that were thrown to him. Young did not. Broyles made plays when he was given the ball. Young did not. Broyles listened to his coaches and respected the players in the locker room. Young did not. The only time where Broyles was behind Young was when the former was out for the year with an ACL. Even when Broyles and Burleson went down with injuries, he still didn't make the most of the huge opportunity that was given to him. Instead, he whined about getting the ball while not showing that he could actually make plays when he got it.

It may just be my opinion, but I believe that I'm not out of line by criticizing Young because thus far, he hasn't shown me a reason to doubt those criticisms. How is he going to show GMs and coaches those reasons when they have far more to lose by bringing him in than I do by criticizing him?