Lions may want Rams to make the first move/PFT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Lions may want Rams to make the first move
Posted by Mike Florio on April 17, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/17/lions-may-want-rams-to-make-the-first-move/

It’s no secret that the Lions have interest in receiver Sammy Watkins. Either they’ve been sloppy in concealing their desire to draft Watkins or they’re setting up a smokescreen.

Or maybe they want their interest to be known so that a team with a top-five pick will make the first move in possible trade talks.

The latter possibility gained some momentum on Wednesday, when the Lions brought defensive end Jadeveon Clowney to town for a visit. The chances of Clowney still being on the board at No. 10 are even slimmer than the possibility of Watkins still lingering after nine picks are made.

Maybe the Lions aren’t being discreet about their desire to move up because they want the Rams to pick up the phone and make the first move. Two years after the Rams finagled the No. 6 overall pick, two more first-round selections, and a second-round pick for the No. 2 spot in the draft, the Lions likely are leery about giving up as much, or maybe more.

The Rams seem to realize that the RGIII haul was based more on the player and less on the slot. The Lions, if they would be happy with either Clowney or Watkins, may simply want to move to the No. 2 slot, regardless of which player is after the No. 1 selection has been made.

Speaking of the No. 1 selection, there’s a chance the Texans could try to trade down and draft a quarterback lower than No. 1. Unless another team emerges as a clear contender to move up, the Lions could play the Texans against the Rams to get a better deal for the No. 1 or No. 2 pick.

Regardless, it’s clear the Lions want to move up. The question becomes how much it will cost. The cost could be less if the Lions aren’t the ones to make the first move. It’ll cost even less if the Lions can get two teams to bid against each other.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

man these guys talk alot of shit.

why would the texans or rams drop to #10 without getting a huge bounty? play them against each other? there's elite talent on the cheap sitting there for them at #1 and #2, they're not desperate to move out of there.

I'm all for making the first move.

Snead: Give us your next 5 first round picks.

Lions: No

Snead: Well piss off and stop wasting my time.

*Puts phone down*

Lions ring back

Lions: How about our next 4 first round picks.

Snead: Throw in a second this year and you have a deal.

Lions: *Crying heard* OK.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Far far more likely the Texans or Rams play other teams against each other. Why would the Texans or rams care at all? They aren't desperate to move.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I don't want to move all the way down to 10, I want one of the top-5 players. Starting to think a trade-down is not in the cards, bu8t damn this is going to be a VERY exciting draft day.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Jadeveon Clowney - DL - Gamecocks
Mlive.com's Kyle Meinke reports that the Detroit Lions brought South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney in for an official visit on Wednesday.
With the Lions picking at the No. 10 spot in the draft, it's interesting that they've brought in Clowney, who seems to be a lock to be drafted with one of the first three picks. The Lions have been rumored to have a soft spot for Clemson WR Sammy Watkins, who is also a top 4 talent in this years draft. Detroit could be very serious about making a move to trade up in the draft, but how far up are they willing to go? Just the thought of Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley, Ezekial Anzah, and Jadeveon Clowney on the same defensive front, should cause nightmares for offensive coordinators across the league.
Source: Mlive.com
Apr 17 - 11:31 AM

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Mlive.com's Kyle Meinke reports that the Detroit Lions brought South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney in for an official visit on Wednesday.
With the Lions picking at the No. 10 spot in the draft, it's interesting that they've brought in Clowney, who seems to be a lock to be drafted with one of the first three picks. The Lions have been rumored to have a soft spot for Clemson WR Sammy Watkins, who is also a top 4 talent in this years draft. Detroit could be very serious about making a move to trade up in the draft, but how far up are they willing to go? Just the thought of Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley, Ezekial Anzah, and Jadeveon Clowney on the same defensive front, should cause nightmares for offensive coordinators across the league.
[av]http://www.mediacollege.com/downloads/sound-effects/star-trek/tos/spock/Spock_Fascinating.mp3[/av]

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Sorry but nothing like Quinn, Brockers, Long, and Clowney un-fucking-stoppable!

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Yes it would be and throw in Donald at 13 and you have possibly one of the deepest most dominating Dlines in the history of the NFL.

tbux

Rookie
Yes it would be and throw in Donald at 13 and you have possibly one of the deepest most dominating Dlines in the history of the NFL.

and a bad oline and bottom tier offense. Not sure why everyone wants D- our D line is very good- we have very solid depth as well- we were top 15 last year with a bad O supporting and a passive DC- we bring in Williams- and should be much better already (adding a CB and S for sure at some point)

Our O needs help- especially the Oline- not sure why everyon wants to try and improve a very good D when our O was putrid????

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
and a bad oline and bottom tier offense. Not sure why everyone wants D- our D line is very good- we have very solid depth as well- we were top 15 last year with a bad O supporting and a passive DC- we bring in Williams- and should be much better already (adding a CB and S for sure at some point)

Our O needs help- especially the Oline- not sure why everyon wants to try and improve a very good D when our O was putrid????
Well, consider this.

Bradford threw for 240 yards per game last year (Clemens 167)
Russell Wilson threw for 210 yards per game last year.

The Rams ALLOWED 262 yards per game last year (passing)
The Seahawks allowed 190 yards per game last year (passing)

Also, see: Manning against that defense.

tbux

Rookie
Well, consider this.

Bradford threw for 240 yards per game last year (Clemens 167)
Russell Wilson threw for 210 yards per game last year.

The Rams ALLOWED 262 yards per game last year (passing)
The Seahawks allowed 190 yards per game last year (passing)

Also, see: Manning against that defense.

I think that had more to do with the soft zones we were playing, compared to the aggressive play we will surely have this year, which will also make the DEs even more effective. Secondary surely needs to be addressed- but surely the Oline and offense have more issues.

This. Our front was excellent last year, we had one of the worst passing Ds in history (at least in terms of completion percentage and yards per completion) and yet were borderline top 5 over the last 12 games, sort the DBs (partly through scheme) and the rest of our top picks should be all O.

Obviously if a clear BPA is there then take him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure why everyone wants D- our D line is very good- we have very solid depth as well- we were top 15 last year

because i want the rams d to dominate the league and be the #1 d by a wide margin. there's enough on offense to win easily with a dominating defense.

tbux

Rookie
because i want the rams d to dominate the league and be the #1 d by a wide margin. there's enough on offense to win easily with a dominating defense.

yeah couldn't disagree more. issues on D WERENT Dline - so upgrading a great Dline isn't going to accomplish a whole lot. Unless they think Clowney is a once in a generation type ( I do not) then he shouldn't be the pick. Ive seen him a lot- his talent is undeniable- but his drive isn't elite- and neither is his work ethic- I wouldn't do it if I were Fisher.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think that had more to do with the soft zones we were playing, compared to the aggressive play we will surely have this year, which will also make the DEs even more effective. Secondary surely needs to be addressed- but surely the Oline and offense have more issues.
Without being too pessimistic, I have to ask how you know we'll be better off being aggressive (assuming you mean more press coverage). The common misconception last year was that we were playing soft zone coverage because the defensive coaches (led by the defensive minded Fisher) enjoyed seeing the defense get punished and decided they liked it a lot so they kept doing it. The glaring weakness at safety (over the top help) and injuries/weaknesses at corner is what *forced* them to play off-coverage. That, and not being able to get substantial push with a 4-man rush most of the time didn't help.

tbux

Rookie
I think press man better suits the skill set of our corners. I also think it gives our DE's even more of a chance to get to the QB.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think press man better suits the skill set of our corners. I also think it gives our DE's even more of a chance to get to the QB.
Arbitrarily speaking, that's all true. But it doesn't relate to "our" corners of last year, and I don't see much change that will allow it to work now. And without very good over the top help, it would be very easy to score on this defense using mainly press coverage. I don't think Williams is going to be the type of guy to use the type of defense you're envisioning. His defenses tend to give opposing offenses the illusion of aggressiveness by using multiple fronts, coverages, pressures, personnel packages and pre-snap disguises. At some point, someone is going to come free or become unaccounted for, and that's where the pressure comes from. IMO, it's not as simple as press coverage + good edge rushers = pressure/sacks.

tbux

Rookie
Arbitrarily speaking, that's all true. But it doesn't relate to "our" corners of last year, and I don't see much change that will allow it to work now. And without very good over the top help, it would be very easy to score on this defense using mainly press coverage. I don't think Williams is going to be the type of guy to use the type of defense you're envisioning. His defenses tend to give opposing offenses the illusion of aggressiveness by using multiple fronts, coverages, pressures, personnel packages and pre-snap disguises. At some point, someone is going to come free or become unaccounted for, and that's where the pressure comes from. IMO, it's not as simple as press coverage + good edge rushers = pressure/sacks.

well no of course not- but I think you know what I meant.