Lions bench Greg Robinson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well...we did get a sixth round pick for Robinson, right? Imagine getting another Tanzel Smart or Legatron with that pick.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Just another whiff by Fisher among many whiffs. Quick has one catch through 5 games so far. Another high pick whiffed there too.

??? You just wanna focus on the ones that didn't work out?

Brockers_420_081713.jpg

Jenkins640.jpg

hi-res-793b9e81a203466656ce9c79fc4ad660_crop_north.jpg

tavon-austin-of-the-st-louis-rams-rushes-against-the-seattle-seahawks-picture-id488047366

600x360-160918_205_Seahawks_at_Rams.jpg

6_5015389.jpg

650x366

rob-havenstein-nfl-preseason-st.-louis-rams-oakland-raiders.jpg

jamon-brown-of-the-los-angeles-rams-reacts-after-a-touchdown-by-todd-picture-id630502860

P194fiMQ_400x400.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fisher isn't here anymore. But, Snead is. How come you don't blame Snead?

Snead was on probation for a while (future unknown) for his role in the failure of the Fish regime to get off the ground. But in the end Fish had final say on everything, so I think the blame fell where it should have tbh.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well...we did get a sixth round pick for Robinson, right? Imagine getting another Tanzel Smart or Legatron with that pick.
I rarely give out thread winners but this one gets it. This is a bright side to a tired story. Yeah we know @LACHAMP46 defended his ass for some reason. Not sure what that was - but whatever. Good news is that he is or SHOULD be in our rear view mirror and we may just get a player out of it - cuz the guy I saw manning the LT position in that game was AWFUL. And I mean AWFUL!!! Sad because I really liked the pick when it happened.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher isn't here anymore. But, Snead is. How come you don't blame Snead?

I struggle to blame Snead because I think coaching is integral to player development. Look at all the offensive player development here with this new coaching staff. Snead likely was following Fisher's desire in taking Robinson. Even if he graded Robinson highly (I expect he did), we simply didn't have the coaching to develop a raw player like him.

We can blame Snead for not "seeing" that, but that's kind of unfair. I'm going to judge Snead on what he does with the new staff. Plus, it kind of speaks volumes that our defensive picks consistently developed while our offensive picks didn't. That should indicate that the issue was more coaching than talent identification.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, yeah, but he was also benched in the first half.
Had to come back due to injuries before he - himself - got injured too.
Truth at last....:whistle::icare::homer:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I struggle to blame Snead because I think coaching is integral to player development. Look at all the offensive player development here with this new coaching staff. Snead likely was following Fisher's desire in taking Robinson. Even if he graded Robinson highly (I expect he did), we simply didn't have the coaching to develop a raw player like him.

We can blame Snead for not "seeing" that, but that's kind of unfair. I'm going to judge Snead on what he does with the new staff. Plus, it kind of speaks volumes that our defensive picks consistently developed while our offensive picks didn't. That should indicate that the issue was more coaching than talent identification.
I was a big defender of Fish for many years but I can't help but also think this is obvious. I've said this so many times in the past when a coach comes in and suddenly the winning starts. I had hoped that would happen with Fish. I got that he inherited a pretty bad team but I thought with that acquisitions and good coaching that we would see some big improvements. We got some very good players and we had some good play, but the next step just wasn't there because the next step just wasn't there. We all see that next step and can say it is because the offense sucked. But none of us and 99% of the people collecting salaries off the NFL can see just what that next step really is. I'm thinking McVay is not just one of the 2%ers out there - but one of the .02%ers out there that can figure out what that step is.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just another whiff by Fisher among many whiffs. Quick has one catch through 5 games so far. Another high pick whiffed there too.
Yeah... but Kenny Britt is tearing things up in CLE.

I have to give this staff a lot of credit... they figured out the trash from the treasure pretty darned quickly.

There's still a couple tweeners... but that'll get ironed out at the end of the season.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Cool brah. Is there any more hindsight analysis we can dig up and discuss about an irrelevant player and dead discussion minutes before gameday 2017?

Lol...but by all means knock yourselves out. :cheers:
Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Fill-in left tackle Greg Robinson, after nearly getting his quarterback killed (again)

Per the Detroit Free Press's Dave Birkett, Robinson has been benched, and street free agent Brian Mihalik has replaced him:

The first time I saw Greg playing for the Lions, and noticed he hadn't changed for the better, I said " Get him out of there before be gets Stafford Killed!" Well it almost came down to that before they got smart!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Plus, it kind of speaks volumes that our defensive picks consistently developed while our offensive picks didn't. That should indicate that the issue was more coaching than talent identification.

I've been saying the same thing for the last several years. If you look at the drafted players that have been consistent hits during Fisher's reign, they were almost always defensive players. Moreover, when you look at raw players drafted by the Rams that panned out (Brockers, 'Tree), they were virtually all on defense - the side of the ball where Fisher put a premium on getting good coaching talent.

On offense, I can identify four player that have panned out or are panning out now that came during the Fisher regime - Goff, Gurley, Havenstein, and J. Brown. Goff didn't seem to do any developing under the previous regime, and it would be very difficult to argue that he would be playing as well as he is this year under last year's coaching staff. Meanwhile, the other 3 I mentioned all took a huge step backwards in their second season, while rebounding nicely in their third. Why? I think again it's pretty obvious - the change in coaching.

Snead has done a good job of getting the coaches the players they want. But it's up to the coaches to actually develop them.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Moreover, when you look at raw players drafted by the Rams that panned out (Brockers, 'Tree), they were virtually all on defense
Curious, why do you consider Brockers & Tree "raw" prospects? They were highly thought of coming out of college.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Curious, why do you consider Brockers & Tree "raw" prospects? They were highly thought of coming out of college.

Brockers was considered a raw prospect because he was 6'6", 310 with vines for arms, and yet he only had two sacks in his redshirt-sophomore year at LSU. Tree was a converted safety who switched to inside linebacker in Georgia's scheme.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Tree was a converted safety who switched to inside linebacker in Georgia's scheme.
hmmm....but Tree played a season or two at LB....Tree was a physical defender on that great Georgia defense....raw to me...screams...very little playing time.

Brockers played a bunch at LSU too....and they also had a great defense while he was there...Although, LSU usually has a great defense...

If you watched either, they were major players on both teams.

Memento

Name
Jemma
hmmm....but Tree played a season or two at LB....Tree was a physical defender on that great Georgia defense....raw to me...screams...very little playing time.

Brockers played a bunch at LSU too....and they also had a great defense while he was there...Although, LSU usually has a great defense...

If you watched either, they were major players on both teams.

True, but raw doesn't necessarily mean lack of playing time. It means that they've got a higher ceiling than most players, but need help reaching their potential.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

@Memento seems to have answered the question ... but just to reiterate, both were considered to be somewhat raw prospects. Yet both have turned out pretty good, in no small part because there were good coaches on that side of the ball to help them develop.