Linebacker the Last Missing Link

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I disagree with this point. My main issue with the defense is Linebacker play. It's below average, and JL 55 is the main problem. It starts with Run defense. The LB's have to be disciplined to maintain their Gap control. Way more often this past season you would see JL out of position or getting taken out of play by a blocker. He was horrible at filling holes and getting off of blocks. And, even with all of the tackles that Ogletree made early in the season, he was just as bad at being out of position and not being able to get off of blocks. If you take a look at the Rams LB ratings at PFF, you will find Ayers, along with Ogletree & JL as "Below average".

If we want to see the Rams get to deep in the Playoffs, then yes, "Taking the next step" is very important. And, it will not take much to do it. There are a few good MLB's in the draft that can be had in the middle rounds that would be an upgrade over JL. It would not hamper the Rams ability to acquire offensive players using their premium picks in the earlier rounds. And, Ogletree is going to have to improve. Making a tackle on one play and then getting walled off while the next play goes for 8 yards is not going to cut it.
There were a couple of games that the defense played poorly but for the most part they were good enough in 2015 to be a playoff team. Having a better offense to match their play would do a lot to take some pressure off them too.

MLB is probably 5th or 6th down the list for positions that need to be upgraded to make a difference but if they could get someone to start grooming it would not be a bad thing. I'm not so sure you're going to find that dominant guy in the middle rounds but anything is possible.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But when you replace him you have to replace his ability to adjust the defense. You have to believe whatever stud you draft can do that or someone like Tj can make those calls.
OGLETREE...then whoever is the SLB(Rookie!!! Burgess Louisville, Cassanova Auburn, Vigil Utah St., Brothers Mizzu, or top choices like Smith ND & Jack UCLA & Lee Ohio ST.) can switch to the MLB in 2017 & call the plays...All this call the defense hype:gtfo:...please...Our QB of the D led us to 20th overall....
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/seasontype/2

Looks like we slipped to 23rd :wtf:since I last checked....:mad::confused:o_O:oops:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There were a couple of games that the defense played poorly but for the most part they were good enough in 2015 to be a playoff team. Having a better offense to match their play would do a lot to take some pressure off them too.

MLB is probably 5th or 6th down the list for positions that need to be upgraded to make a difference but if they could get someone to start grooming it would not be a bad thing. I'm not so sure you're going to find that dominant guy in the middle rounds but anything is possible.
No telling what positions will be needing an upgrade with the NEW 2016 LA Ram team. This season stands a big chance to undergo the biggest mass change since the original 2012 Fisher Rams team. The big thing is the 8 of the 2015 Rams team starters will be UFA's.

Several other 4 starters like TE Jared Cook, OG Rodger Saffold, DE Chris Long & JL stand a very good chance of being released due to ultra high $$ salary cap demands vs under performing seasons. That's 12 starters there.

Moving onto the under contract Ram players that need upgrading is somewhat easier. Top would be the starting QB Case Keenum (who is a RFA) & the back up former starter QB Nick Foles. The next top need unit would be the wide outs. where 2 to 3 new WR's are in need of upgrade or to fill vacancies (Former starter Quick/Welker/Bailey). I would stop there & hope we could fill the already mentioned upgrades in the offense.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
No telling what positions will be needing an upgrade with the NEW 2016 LA Ram team. This season stands a big chance to undergo the biggest mass change since the original 2012 Fisher Rams team. The big thing is the 8 of the 2015 Rams team starters will be UFA's.

Several other 4 starters like TE Jared Cook, OG Rodger Saffold, DE Chris Long & JL stand a very good chance of being released due to ultra high $$ salary cap demands vs under performing seasons. That's 12 starters there.

Moving onto the under contract Ram players that need upgrading is somewhat easier. Top would be the starting QB Case Keenum (who is a RFA) & the back up former starter QB Nick Foles. The next top need unit would be the wide outs. where 2 to 3 new WR's are in need of upgrade or to fill vacancies (Former starter Quick/Welker/Bailey). I would stop there & hope we could fill the already mentioned upgrades in the offense.
Definitely a lot to get done. I was somewhat settled by the comments from Demoff's interview and the idea that they need to have a great start to draw in the fans. That and the news I saw indicating a good cushion in cap money that should allow the Rams room to move.

Long and JL have got to have salary adjustments, Long seems amiable but I haven't seen anyone talking to JL about it. He's been a warrior playing through problems with the elbow the last two years. Can they expect him to take a cut? Can the reasonable replace him?

Getting something done with the CBs to me has to be a higher priority but there are more CBs coming out and already on the team who can play and have done reasonably well in comparison.

Do they really think Keenum can be a stop gap? He's a manager and they don't need THAT much from the QB position i the defense ST and Gurley continue to perform. What the heck do we have in Mannion? I want to think he really can be the guy but he has to prove it on the field and I don't know if this will be the year because unless Fisher gets a new contract he has to win in 2016, right??? Foles they can cut right now and I'd be fine. Do they draft another kid to sit on the bench? At what pick?? I think it depends on other things happening in FA first.

Stay at #15 and take BPA unless there is a player they value above everyone else that drops out of say the top 8 I don't see a move up and they can still get a great player. Round 2 where is the need vs players available? WR CB what did we get at 15??

OL- Lots of moving parts I don't see Saffold as a value with all the young guys. Barnes got some important time leading the OL and that might make him more likely to get better offers. Without blowing a hug chunk on a FA center (I don't even know who is available) he has to be considered more valuable than Saffold.

I hate that they have not "done anything" yet. But the move is going to complicate things. Maybe they have already talked to some guys and they have agreements that will all fall in place once they get in Cali.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I do feel like MLB and linebacker in general can be improved upon. Wouldn't take one in the first round but a mid rounder on a guy would be nice.

RamBill

Legend
James Laurinaitis: No Name from Minnesota to OSU Ledgend

James Laurinaitis’s journey to Ohio State was as unusual as they come. The son of a professional wrestler, “The Animal” was a legendary member of the Legion of Doom. Joe, his father, raised him in the Land of 10,000 Lakes, where hockey, not football dominated the sports landscape. James’s hockey skills were so legendary, that had he chose hockey, many of his coaches thought he would be a 2nd or 3rd round NHL draft pick.

James instead elected to focus on football and became the hidden gem of the 2005 recruiting class. Doc Tressel, brother of Jim, was credited with his discovery and Luke Fickell was the position coach who sealed his commitment. He was forced into duty his freshman year against Michigan and the rest was history. 3 All American nods and a Butkus Award later, the kid from the Twin Cities had etched his own line at Linebacker U. Find out his thoughts on his time with Coach Tressel? How he developed into the player he became? Did Cam Newton handle the Super Bowl Press conference the right way? All that and more on this episode of According to Carp.

Listen to Laurinaitis Interview

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Everyone should see Ogletree try and get off a block if they think JL is bad at it.

The guy catches plenty of undeserved flack. In fact he is a huge reason they are able to contain wilson as well as they are.

Focus on offense, there are no glaring holes on defense right now. FA may make some, but there are none right now
thumbsandammo-10.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

JerseyRam1

Rookie
We have other needs right now with QB and WR but Reggie Ragland would be a monster in the middle of this defense.

I have a feeling Ragland is somehow going to be a Ram. The Rams have been interested in LB they werent able to get...Wagner, Shazier and Mosley. I can see them staying pat and if he falls to them and they dont like a WR or QB, they grab him.

WvuIN02

Starter
Not that impressed with Ragland, I think hes more of a product of the rest of that defense and definitely not a high first round talent but its a thin position this year so he will likely get overdrafted in rd 1. He is no CJ Mosley, not even close...and thats the kind of LB I would want with a 1st round pick.

For a thumper in the middle, I think Kentrell Brothers is just as good for where you could draft him.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
The Rams D line is a strength. Jenkins and Johnson excelled at CB this season. I think everyone agrees our safeties with McCleod and TJ are top notch. So, what is keeping the Rams defense from being dominant? Barron at linebacker/safety was a monster making bone crushing tackle after tackle. When healthy Ogletree provided more of the same. In my opinion, that leaves one spot that held the Rams back.

The Rams must find a replacement for Laurinaitis. Many will say he is a coach on the field, provides leadership etc. yet when the ball is snapped, he is slow diagnosing plays and constantly caught up in blocks. You would think the coach on the field would be the fastest reacting. Anyhow, he has been a serviceable, loyal, likeable player for years, but his play last year really slipped. His salary is high, he will only get slower, and I feel strongly that if the Rams can find a butt kicking middle linebacker that makes tackles in the backfield or line of scrimmage, the Rams defense will go to the next level. Tackles 5 or more yds downfield is a clear win by the offense. I would dare guess the majority of his tackles are more than 5 yds downfield and they are never big hits like Barron, TJ, and Ogletree make, they are tackles where he is usually dragged a couple yds further downfield. Again, all the credit to the guy for being a professional, show up to work every day kind of player that provided many positives, but if the Rams want to go to the next level defensively, they must make the change and find an upgrade to the middle linebacker position.

Question: So, what is keeping the Rams defense from being dominant?

Being on the field to f****** much. Getting no rest. Our offense going 3 and out. That's all. JL is a great player and keeps our young guys in position.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Question: So, what is keeping the Rams defense from being dominant?

Being on the field to f****** much. Getting no rest. Our offense going 3 and out. That's all. JL is a great player and keeps our young guys in position.
Fisher and Wiiliams felt different.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Famous quote, "it's not what you believe, but what you can prove.." or something like that...Think Denzel in Training Day....
That didn't work out to good for Denzel though did it? :)
You and i both know that with all things being equal the Rams' defense wasn't the 22nd best unit in the NFL last year.

WvuIN02

Starter
Any of the best discussions about the greatest ever defenses also look at the offenses of those teams. It's just common sense. If you can keep the other team without the ball and limit the number of plays they run and time they are on the field, its going to have a profound impact on points allowed and yards allowed. You could make a similar case for the Rams this year.

I decided to look a little more into the numbers just to see if we can find where the Rams differed from the top defense, and I think you can just look at the volume.

The Rams finished 13th in points allowed on defense with 20.6 ppg, which is very respectable. The Seahawks were 1st at 17.3 ppg.

Seattle allowed 947 plays on defense this year, for an average of 59 plays per game. While the Rams had 1,091 plays on defense, for a total of 68 plays a game. The Rams played the equivalent of *two* more games on defense this year than the Seahawks did when you look at these numbers.

But here's the thing. The Rams allowed only 1 point for every 3.31 plays. The Seahawks allowed 1 point for every 3.4 plays. Not a huge discrepancy there, especially when you consider the Rams offense was dead last in the league killing their own drives with 26% on third down while the Seahawks finished 4th best at 46% (keep in mind the top was New Orleans at 48% and 2nd and 3rd were both 47%...so it was very close).

The Rams offense played a huge part in the defense finishing with those numbers. You cant realistically expect your defense to play two entire games more in volume than the top defense and expect similar numbers. Yes the Rams third down defense can improve from its 35%, but it was also on the field third most in the NFL at over 33 minutes a game vs the top defenses at under 28 minutes a game. Once the offense can sustain drives and score points, you get a double whammy there as playing from in front forces teams to be more one dimensional and it gives your defense time to rest.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Famous quote, "it's not what you believe, but what you can prove.." or something like that...Think Denzel in Training Day....

"It's not what you know. It's what you can prove in court" from Law Abiding Citizen? thats what i thought of at least

Last edited:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The darkhorse to keep an eye on is Morrison from Florida. His prob is he's got an arrest/suspension from '13, and then that bad knee injury he suffered in their bowl game last year, but he came back in six months and led a great defense in tackles. He is a poster boy for a Jeff Fisher/Greg Williams defense. Mean and nasty type LB just the way they like them. I read an article recently listing him as a possible round 2 pick "if healthy" and that's the key with him. Guarantee the Rams are all over that dude with the medical side stuff.

^ I'm so glad you posted this