Linebacker the Last Missing Link

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
The Rams D line is a strength. Jenkins and Johnson excelled at CB this season. I think everyone agrees our safeties with McCleod and TJ are top notch. So, what is keeping the Rams defense from being dominant? Barron at linebacker/safety was a monster making bone crushing tackle after tackle. When healthy Ogletree provided more of the same. In my opinion, that leaves one spot that held the Rams back.

The Rams must find a replacement for Laurinaitis. Many will say he is a coach on the field, provides leadership etc. yet when the ball is snapped, he is slow diagnosing plays and constantly caught up in blocks. You would think the coach on the field would be the fastest reacting. Anyhow, he has been a serviceable, loyal, likeable player for years, but his play last year really slipped. His salary is high, he will only get slower, and I feel strongly that if the Rams can find a butt kicking middle linebacker that makes tackles in the backfield or line of scrimmage, the Rams defense will go to the next level. Tackles 5 or more yds downfield is a clear win by the offense. I would dare guess the majority of his tackles are more than 5 yds downfield and they are never big hits like Barron, TJ, and Ogletree make, they are tackles where he is usually dragged a couple yds further downfield. Again, all the credit to the guy for being a professional, show up to work every day kind of player that provided many positives, but if the Rams want to go to the next level defensively, they must make the change and find an upgrade to the middle linebacker position.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree 1000% with your sentiment.

Unfortunately, we also need to forecast who will be staying/going (DE/DT), react to any potential losses to FA (CB/S), so it's not that cut and dry.

And then there's the worst offense in the NFL that needs fixed too. I hope we can find an upgrade at MLB, because I think it's the most important position on defense, but our passing game must take priority.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I know this is not ideal, however if the team cannot find a new MLB maybe they could resign Barron and move him and Ogletree around between middle and outside for next season, and try to find the right guy he following year? Buchanan is a faster, lighter, mlb in Arizona and was successful there.

It may not be first choice but wouldn't it be better than Laurinitis?

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I think a lot of us would agree the Mike backer is one that could be upgraded. But it's not in my mind the single most important offseason fix. I think you've got to get QB and WR locked up first. Of course first round you go BPA so if they happen to be a stud linebacker then I'd pull the trigger and fix that position. I hate having to draft positionally rather than picking the best player.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Just remember that he had the big cast that on his arm this year and (probably last year). He played hurt because they needed him. And in GW defense the Mike LB has heavy intermediate deep middle defense. Ogletree can handle the pass defense, not sure he is better at point of attack.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I know this is not ideal, however if the team cannot find a new MLB maybe they could resign Barron and move him and Ogletree around between middle and outside for next season, and try to find the right guy he following year? Buchanan is a faster, lighter, mlb in Arizona and was successful there.

It may not be first choice but wouldn't it be better than Laurinitis?

I think Barron would get eaten up in the middle. I don't know about Ogletree. Not sure how well he diagnosis offenses either as he seems to rely on his athleticism a lot.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Barron would get eaten up in the middle. I don't know about Ogletree. Not sure how well he diagnosis offenses either as he seems to rely on his athleticism a lot.

Probably but is he any less tough than Buchanon? I would wager he is every bit the player Deone is and more. The Cardinals made it work.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
One of the Elephants in the room for the Rams. Love the guy, hate the player for me. He is so slow and I can't think of one game changing play he's made in his career. He's made some good plays here and there, but never when you need it. His availability and knowledge of the scheme are all he has going for him IMO. I think Hager would outplay him if you put him in there. He's not very aggressive compared to Barron, McDonald and Tree. Find me someone with that Mad Dog mentality that's ready to go bang in there.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
JL and CL as much as I like them both are the weak links on this defence.This D is so close to being elite that its frustrating. But its not all on them the offence definitely doesn't help with all the 3 and out and 3rd down struggles.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JL and CL as much as I like them both are the weak links on this defence.This D is so close to being elite that its frustrating. But its not all on them the offence definitely doesn't help with all the 3 and out and 3rd down struggles.
Agreed. Just because they are team favorites doesn't make them good players . I've said for a couple years that they are both below average players.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Biggest need is going to be DT for the rotation I think. But yeah it would be nice to see them add a legit MLB and there's a good chance Ragland is sitting there at 15. Prob is I'd rather see them take a QB and get this offense fixed. IMO let Williams mix in crazy DB packages next year if needed while that offense gets some real upgrades.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Personally, I think a core of Barron/JL/Ogletree can be very successful. Especially with a FS that can cover JL's butt when he misses coverage.. HOWEVER, I feel a core of Barron/High Pick, FA/Ogletree could be GREAT.

I love JL, great dude, nice player, but man, his inability to get off the blocker sometimes, or stay in coverage is sickening. Looks like he's running in mud.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If the Rams loose both CB's JJ & Tru your looking at Gaines & Roberson as starters. Rams Loose FS Rodney McLeod all we have signed is CB Bryant. Rams loose DT Fairley and all that's left is Tricant-Pasat. Rams loose DE's Hayes & Sims say hello to Longacre & Westbrooks. Rams loose our best 2015 LB'er Mark Barron & keeps the worn down & worn out JL things will be in major decline.

The Rams defense will change big if we do not play this up coming free agency to the max. JL will be the least of our problems. But YES JL needs to be replaced ASAP! Hopefully we can replace him with a Lb already signed here. All this MLB'er will need to do is stop the run and run off the field as the Rams go into the Nickel.....simple!

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Sadly I feel the same way about JL and CL. It would be great if the Rams could resign them at much lower salaries and they became great BU players. That would be a major boost and their sheer heart, desire, and leadership would continue to propel this offense. Plus the Rams could really use the money saved on their contracts to keep all the defense players the Rams MUST sign to stay competitive.
I will once again get on my soapbox and say teams should be able to sign their own draft picks and have only 1/2 the cost count towards the cap. It is total BS that you draft a great player and develop him then can't resign him when the time comes.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I remember him countering every adjustment Peyton Manning made, he out "QB'd" the QB and we stomped Denvers offense when they were "unstoppable".

In this D, Laurinaitis' mind is invaluable.
His streak of games has probably resulted in a beaten up and broken body at times, limiting his already limited athletecism.

An upgrade, sure I'm all for it.... but the guy has to be a Defensive QB 1st and foremost. They don't grow on trees, so I'm good with him on the field in 2016.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
We have other needs right now with QB and WR but Reggie Ragland would be a monster in the middle of this defense.