Line Stunts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

xander47

Rookie
Can someone explain to me line stunts? As in how they affect the quarterback (Gruden kept talking and talking about how the line stunts bothered Austin) and how it gives offensive lineman problems?

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
The Rams don't seem to be very effective at it, but SF was. Rather than always taking on the OL in front of them they circle around and follow another DL or another gap. Austin was getting hit all night and Kaperdick always had a place to roll out to...or so it seemed.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
stunt.jpg
A visual to go with Oldgeeks explanation.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
there are all sorts of line stunts. some as basic as slanting right or left, or pinching to the inside. The stunt Gruden referred to was the T-E stunt, where the DE allows the DT to crash out to the OT, and then the DE loops inside and attacks the "B" gap which is normally the gap the DT is responsible for. SF has always been very good at it, with Justin Smith being a master at "holding' up the OT while the OLB loops inside. This is very effective in passing downs, but a high risk tactic against the run.

Which is why, IMO, the Rams just don't use them as often as other teams. If you get caught in a DL stunt, you are sacrificing gap integrity, and can get gashed for big runs. With the issues they have had in stopping the run, I am fine with them NOT over doing the line stunts. If you can force teams into throwing situations, then by all means. But against the likes of SF, and Seattle, you just aren't gonna make them a big part of the game plan.

Speeps

Starter
As to the reason it confuses the offensive lineman, it's because they don't know who to block on these stunts, unless your prepared for it, or you have experience dealing with it. If you're the offensive lineman, you expect to block the guy in front of you and protect your gap. However, if he vacates and goes to another location, what do you do? who do you pick up? What's your assignment? So really effective stunts can give offensive line problems, unless the o-line is well prepared for it, or qb/c checks to right protection.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
As to the reason it confuses the offensive lineman, it's because they don't know who to block on these stunts, unless your prepared for it, or you have experience dealing with it. If you're the offensive lineman, you expect to block the guy in front of you and protect your gap. However, if he vacates and goes to another location, what do you do? who do you pick up? What's your assignment? So really effective stunts can give offensive line problems, unless the o-line is well prepared for it, or qb/c checks to right protection.
Jake Long how many Pro Bowls? Scott Wells how many years starting center calling protections? Weak links, get rid of them, draft high next year or a BETTER pick up than Long. Oh and Joseph... jesus total redo

Speeps

Starter
Jake Long how many Pro Bowls? Scott Wells how many years starting center calling protections? Weak links, get rid of them, draft high next year or a BETTER pick up than Long. Oh and Joseph... jesus total redo
LOL! I know it's sad when you think about it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"Line-Stunts" have been working since the Days of the "Fearsome-Foursome"! The only way to counter it is with more men like 'Jackie Slater & Dennis Harrah"!

fearsomefour

Legend
It terrorizes the Rams line. Maybe it is the 3/4 factor....although they play teams in their division that run 3/4 every year. It baffles me why they have such a hard time with it. If I see another O lineman turning to try and chase a rush I will scream. Frankly they have all struggled with it this year. Wells stands out, but Saffold, Joseph had both had their moments as well.