Limit Gurley/Utilize Cunningham

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should we utilize Benny more in the backfield?

• Total voters

ThePhunami

Me so Horny
We saw Gurley sparking a bit during last Sunday’s Carolina game when he had his longest rush of 18 yards. Limited to 12 carries he’s been improving ever so slightly during the last three games averaging 4 YPC.

Why? He’s getting help from Benny Cunnningham who has picked up some of Gurley’s workload by giving him more breaks and getting more snaps. Through 8 games this season, when given 17 carries or more Gurley only achieves 2.8 YPC vs 4.0 YPC when limited to 12 or less carries.

Another thought is Cunningham is more explosive and a playmaker. VS Carolina with the Rams on 4th and 9 on a do or die game ending play. Keenum threw short to Bam Bam missing two tackles and breaking 1 to get the first down.

Everyone seems to be saying our offenseive line sucks but in order for us to truly know, we need to put in Cunningham and start splitting carries with Gurley. Maybe something will spark in Gurley.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm not sure that using a two Back Set wouldn't improve our run game! Get opposing "D's" guessing, Todd or Benny, Cunningham or Gurrrley!?!
Why Not, can't hurt, and at the very least it would give our QB, whoever it is, more protection!

RamzFanz

Damnit
I doubt BamBam will be any more successful as a full time back, but why not try it? Throw TA in there too for god's sake.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am a huge Cunningham fan, however I think his role in the offense is one of the things we have right.

Gurley might be struggling, but I'm not seeing a player swap as the solution (or changes to carry counts).

I can't hardly describe what I see with the run offense, but I'd sum it up as being out of sync; the one on one blocking battles, the line calls (power, zone, pulls), the alignment of run plays to the situation. It all almost looks unpracticed at times, which I know is not the case. But... We are overmatched there.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I am a huge Cunningham fan, however I think his role in the offense is one of the things we have right.

Gurley might be struggling, but I'm not seeing a player swap as the solution (or changes to carry counts).

I can't hardly describe what I see with the run offense, but I'd sum it up as being out of sync; the one on one blocking battles, the line calls (power, zone, pulls), the alignment of run plays to the situation. It all almost looks unpracticed at times, which I know is not the case. But... We are overmatched there.
This^^^

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Our last 3 games, Gurley's ypc average has risen...give him the damn ball in the 4th quarter and watch the magic happen. The way we're using him, I'd think we're trying to tank.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I'm not sure that using a two Back Set wouldn't improve our run game! Get opposing "D's" guessing, Todd or Benny, Cunningham or Gurrrley!?!
Why Not, can't hurt, and at the very least it would give our QB, whoever it is, more protection!
Yeah, I've been thinking that for weeks now. A little confusion for the defense would give our guys a jump on exploiting a seam. Both Gurley and Cunningham are threats once they're into the second level and beyond. Austin as well obviously.

It certainly can't hurt to try!!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I like Benny ok but I want Gurley to see more touches not fewer. The play calling has been abysmal in these close games there is no reason to be throwing the ball 40 times per game. This was supposed to be a running team, they are not getting enough reps to break down the defense. I don't know if it is a problem calling plays they don't execute well ot the sequence of plays but they have been terrible.

Run more plays off the same looks, get the freaking jet sweep package back in the game plan, and run Gurley off tackle instead of inside.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I voted for the simple reason that Todd clearly has confidence issues. He's finally starting to pick things up and you wanna decrease his workload? Might as well just trade him cuz that's gonna do nothing but drag him down again.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
This may be a moot discussion. Benny didn't play last week and he was a DNP in practice yesterday, the equivalent of a Friday practice on a regular week. Makes Benny very questionable to play this week and potentially the rest of the season. Necks are tricky things to get healed and no sense pressing it at this point of the season.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Cunningham and Alexander out tomorrow night. Gaines and Quinn are doubtful which means likely out.