Lightning striking twice: is it possible?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Remember 1999? Rams came off a terrible season and hit it hard, adding:

1. OC Mike Martz.
2. OG Timmerman
3. RB Faulk for a round 2 pick
4. WR Torry Holt (impact wideout in draft)

Then they had a QB on their roster that nobody expected to play well come out and light the league on fire in Warner.

This year they added:

1. HC Sean McVay and other quality offensive staff
2. OT Whitworth
3. WR Watkins for a round 2 pick
4. WR Kupp (impact wideout in draft)

Game one we had a QB on our roster, and ok he was a high draft pick but still, who came out and lit the first opponent on fire.

Both in 99 and now we have people struggling to process it, going immediately to the schedule as the obvious rationale for what they're seeing. We see a team that has swagger building fast, where the confidence was evident even before game 1 just like there was in 99.

Just an interesting parallel in things I think. I then find myself with that thought in my head "is it possible for that to happen again, for our Rams to go from nobodies to the best team in this league?" Followed by "Yes. Yes it can happen and IT WILL DAMMIT..!!! BARTENDER ANOTHER KOOL-AID AND KEEP 'EM COMIN..!!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I not only think it's possible, but highly probable! If we get past week#4, without a Loss, I see nothing stopping us!! The 'Hags O-Line Sucks, as usual! The Cards have Lost there running Game, with the injury to David Johnson! And the 49ers, well, they Look like the " Same-Old-Sorry-A$$-40-winer's! We will Sweep the Division and with the 3 wins outside the division after week #4, that's 9 Wins right there! 13 Wins sounds easy!!

drooling-smiley.png
gurleykoolaid.png
two fisted drinking.gif

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You go boys! Gotta love the optimism... I don't share it (yet)... but gotta love it!
(y)

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm head first into the pool full of the cherry flavor!

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Pretty sure it has more to do with the karmic influence of the football gods favoring us after going through years of futility under Frontierre/Rosenbloom and Fisher.

nighttrain

Legend
Pretty sure it has more to do with the karmic influence of the football gods favoring us after going through years of futility under Frontierre and Fisher.
fixed it for ya ;)
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It is exciting.

I am definitely trying to balance my optimism with the fact every week is a game of matchups and there will be ups and downs.

It's a long season. Celebrate the good times but don't crash too hard when we struggle, which we will, just like that 99 team did from time to time.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Regular Season

Date Opponent Location. Result. Attend

09/12/1999 Baltimore Trans World Dome (St. Louis, MO) W 27-10 62,100
09/26/1999 Atlanta Trans World Dome (St. Louis, MO) W 35-7 63,253
10/03/1999 @ Cincinnati Cinergy Field (Cincinnati, OH) W 38-10 45,481
10/10/1999 San Francisco Trans World Dome (St. Louis, MO) W 42-20 65,872
10/17/1999 @ Atlanta Georgia Dome (Atlanta, GA) W 41-13 51,973
10/24/1999 Cleveland Trans World Dome (St. Louis, MO) W 34-3 65,866
10/31/1999 @ Tennessee Adelphia Coliseum (Nashville, TN) L 24-21 66,415
11/07/1999 @ Detroit Pontiac Silverdome (Pontiac, MI) L 31-27 73,224
11/14/1999 Carolina Trans World Dome (St. Louis, MO) W 35-10 65,965
11/21/1999 @ San Francisco 3com Park (San Francisco, CA) W 23-7 68,193
11/28/1999 New Orleans Trans World Dome (St. Louis, MO) W 43-12 65,864
12/05/1999 @ Carolina Ericsson Stadium (Charlotte, NC) W 34-21 62,285
12/12/1999 @ New Orleans Louisiana Superdome (New Orleans, LA) W 30-14 46,838
12/19/1999 NY Giants Trans World Dome (St. Louis, MO) W 31-10 66,065
12/26/1999 Chicago Trans World Dome (St. Louis, MO) W 34-12 65,941
01/02/2000 @ Philadelphia Veterans Stadium (Philadelphia, PA) L 38-31 60,700

Postseason
Date Opponent Location Result Attend
01/16/2000 Minnesota Trans World Dome (St. Louis, MO) W 49-37 66,194
01/23/2000 Tampa Bay Trans World Dome (St. Louis, MO) W 11-6 66,396
01/30/2000 @ Tennessee Georgia Dome (Atlanta, GA) W 23-16 72,625

Preseason
Date Opponent Location Result Attend
08/07/1999 (Sat) Oakland -- L 18-17 --
08/21/1999 (Sat) @ Chicago -- L 38-24 --
08/28/1999 (Sat) San Diego -- W 24-21 --
09/02/1999 (Thu) @ Detroit -- W 17-6 43,578

Well, let's reflect a little.

Question; Why did the Rams not play 9/19/99? Did we have a bye in Week 2??????

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want it to be so bad, but I gotta see how we do against the Redskins. The Colts stink. The Redskins are a team that could end up in the playoffs or in the top 10 picks. But they're good enough to gauge how good we are.

If we start 4-0 and look good doing it, I'll believe that something special is cooking here.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
So . . . .

Stan climbs up on the podium, lifts the Lombardi, stares into the camera and says

It proves we did the right thing in going to Los Angeles!

Yeah, all works for me.

jap

Legend
You guys are jumping into the kool-aid pool and snorkeling & drinking all at the same time, aren't you? I need a few more weeks to get a true feel for this team, then---who knows?---I may join you all! :LOL:

We gotta deal with Sean's former squad, then we got a Thursday night date with the team who swept us last year. Time to let the 'Frisco guys know exactly how we feel about them, right?

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
All off-season because of all the positive changes the organization has made, I've been..... "Hey...in'98 we were 4-12, so why not?" Yeah, bring on the Kool aid baby!

Old Rock

Rookie
Name
Rock
I not only think it's possible, but highly probable! If we get past week#4, without a Loss, I see nothing stopping us!! The 'Hags O-Line Sucks, as usual! The Cards have Lost there running Game, with the injury to David Johnson! And the 49ers, well, they Look like the " Same-Old-Sorry-A$$-40-winer's! We will Sweep the Division and with the 3 wins outside the division after week #4, that's 9 Wins right there! 13 Wins sounds easy!!

View attachment 21584 View attachment 21585 View attachment 21586
Sorry Dave, love the message but the picture of Gurley on the kool aid throws me off. Makes him look like a dickhe uh nevermind, carry on.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is exciting.

I am definitely trying to balance my optimism with the fact every week is a game of matchups and there will be ups and downs.

It's a long season. Celebrate the good times but don't crash too hard when we struggle, which we will, just like that 99 team did from time to time.
Didn't that '99 team win 6 straight? I'll take that!:rockon:

btw...I really think we should beat Skins and the Niners this week....After Thurs night, the talking heads will be falling all over themselves to pick the Rams as a dark-horse to make the playoffs

TexasRam

Legend
I want it to be so bad, but I gotta see how we do against the Redskins. The Colts stink. The Redskins are a team that could end up in the playoffs or in the top 10 picks. But they're good enough to gauge how good we are.

If we start 4-0 and look good doing it, I'll believe that something special is cooking here.

Yea that's how I feel. I'm cautiously optimistic. I will know what this team has after the cowboys game. If we are 3-0 and hugely improved then I'll know for
Sure. It could be that we are improved but still so young that we have not arrived as a +10 win team yet.

A huge question is how does Goff hold up vs a fierce pass rush.

Regarding lighting in a bottle comparisons, I see some similarities and some differences with that '99 team.

First, this defense is better than the '99 unit. That unit caused turnovers but didnt have the same talent level up front.

Whitworth and Pace holding down the blindside with perfection are similar. Though pace was a little better run blocker in his prime than an older Whitworth.

Timmerman and Nutten were great offseason signings. Brown and Saffold have potential to be as good but need to stand the test vs the great pass rushers.

Holt, Bruce Hakim Proehl vs Watkins, Kupp Woods and Austin. Some similarities and some differences. Kupp and Woods appear to run strong routes much like Holt and Bruce though Bruce and Holt in their prime could take it to the house on every play. Kupp and Woods at the NFL level are still unproven. Some might compare Kupp to Proehl but I think that is a bad comparison. Kupp appears to be a master route runner with great balance and hands. To me he is closest
To Holt but without Holts 4.3 speed. I see a lot of Holt in Kupps route running however.

Watkins has big play ability like Hakim but is much stronger. Austin compares similarly to Hakim but Austin does have a little more explosion.

In Summary: We have two great route runners and two explosive guys. The 99 team had two great route runners and 3 explosive guys. Thats rather simplified but I think the best way to see simalarities.

RB - I think Gurley is similar to Faulk in terms of being a smart all around back that can pass block and catch the ball out of the backfield. Faulk did have that open field first gear and elusiveness that Gurley doesn't posses. The 99 Oline could run block much better due to Pace Nutten and Timmerman. Gurley is a North South runner in the vein of Dickerson behind an Oline that cant run block that good at least at this stage. They may get better with time knowing assignment and the TE blocking improving.

If we could get the run blocking squared away we would see Gurley's second gear which is really excellent. Otherwise we it's a huge difference at RB compared to the 99 team.

QB - I think Goff can be every bit as accurate as Warner but Warner was awesome vs the Blitz and pressure. Goff is still unproven there.

Summary: the 99 team went from Zero to the GSOT with some additions. This team also made some key additions at Oline and WR and are opening some eyes. If Goff can show he can handle the blitz and the Oline can run block better this 2017 team shows the ability to be a balanced team on both sides of the ball, poised to see the playoffs and more. I don't see GSOT pt2. The explosiveness isn't quite the same at the skill positions but the efficiency at its best could be just as good at moving the chains. Who knows?? We have some good tests the next few weeks to see if we are something or just a little better version of Fisher ball.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams can start 3-0 but won't get any respect. Only way they get respect is if they beat the Cowboys in Dallas.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Didn't that '99 team win 6 straight? I'll take that!:rockon:

btw...I really think we should beat Skins and the Niners this week....After Thurs night, the talking heads will be falling all over themselves to pick the Rams as a dark-horse to make the playoffs
I like this^^ idea, BUT!! you know they will probably say " The Rams haven't Beat anyone yet! Wait until they go up against Dallas!! We have to go into Dallas and Destroy them before we get some Cred's! And we will!!(y);):D But remember, it's one game at a time! Next up Redskins!!!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams can start 3-0 but won't get any respect. Only way they get respect is if they beat the Cowboys in Dallas.
I totally agree.

They'd get some love for beating WA... not much love for beating SF... but if they beat DAL? Yeah, the media will be falling all over themselves with accolades about how the Rams are the break out team of 2017.

I'm planning on going to the DAL game... just waiting to see what happens Sunday and Thursday.

Spent considerable amounts of money the past two times they were in DAL to see them... only be be embarrassed. It's not cheap going to games at The DeathStar.

Hoping these next two games are enough to make me dip back into my wallet.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If they hang 30 plus on Washington i will start to believe a little, but the QB is probably still too young. He's just a baby at 22.

What they could do is what i expected in 99'. I really thought they would be a wildcard team heading into that season.... of course they exceeded those expectations.