LG David Edwards relishes his anonymity

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LG David Edwards relishes his anonymity​

The only time that an offensive lineman enjoys seeing his name in the news is when he has signed a new contract, he has been named to an NFL award or honor, or when he is the keynote speaker for a Super Bowl victory dinner. Other than that? Seeing his name in the news is more often tied to what they’ve done wrong than right. But on this occasion, we’re here to celebrate what LA Rams offensive line David Edwards has accomplished and what he means to the LA Rams future.

We talk frequently about how successful the LA Rams have been at drafting NFL-caliber players on day three but failed to include David Edwards in that role call. That’s on us. After all, since being drafted with the 169th pick (Round 5) of the 2019 NFL Draft, Edwards has played in 32 NFL games and started in 24. How has he done? Well, the ability to track how effective an offensive lineman is a bit like trying to measure Air Quality. If it’s good, it’s invisible. But when it’s bad, you can see signs of it everywhere.

The Wisconsin Badger was surprisingly raw coming out of college, and many expected a year on the bench to develop. Well, injuries in 2019 mandated an early debut, and he seemed to do well enough, but the standard stats completely ignore offensive linemen.

Of course, you can always rely upon NFL grading services like Pro Football Focus. If you do, you’ll discover that Edwards played rather effectively in 2020, committing one flagged penalty and giving up three quarterback sacks over 1006 offensive snaps. His overall grade came in at 70.6 for the season.

As you mull over whether or not you like that grade, keep this in mind. Due to the fact that he was drafted so late, Edwards’s salary was just over $740,000 in 2020 and will come in under $1 million for 2021. He will cross the million-dollar mark in 2022, but only just. In the end, he is an incredible bargain for this LA Rams offense.

More fun facts about David Edwards

The LA Rams offensive line may have played well in 2020, but the team certainly had its share of injuries. in just the second game of the season, starting left guard Joseph Noteboom suffered a calf injury. That necessitated the LA Rams to promote David Edwards into that spot on the offensive line, where he would remain for the duration of the entire season.

View: https://twitter.com/stujrams/status/1321888419060985856?s=21

That decision to keep Edwards at left guard proved prophetically wise, as left tackle Andrew Whitworth suffered a knee injury in the ninth game of the season.

His replacement? The now healthy Joseph Noteboom. Unfortunately, Edwards suffered from tendonitis late in the season and became a day-to-day decision. He finally was unable to go against the Green Bay Packers, and the struggles of his replacement Bobby Evans in that game have become the benchmark for those who are dissatisfied with the Rams offensive line play.

Still, Edwards dug in at the left guard position and handled business there rather well. The 6-foot-6 308-pound offensive lineman is one of the high-school quarterbacks who understands the game of football at a level far above his line of scrimmage role might dictate. But where he excels in football IQ, his transition from QB to TE to OT to now OG has been a cascading effect of On-the-Job-Training (OJT). That has given Edwards a wide breadth of football experience, although it was slowed his proficiency at offensive guard.

Of course, if you watched the 2020 HBO Hard Knocks series, you know another reason why NFL offensive linemen like to remain anonymous. This video clip of David Edwards poking himself with his straw had gone viral

View: https://youtu.be/k4g5J4tdIOE

I’m sorry about this Dave. But it’s an unspoken rule that any articles featuring Edwards must include the HBO Hard Knocks video clip. Of course, when covering the two-year career of an offensive lineman, this is the type of event that becomes newsworthy. Edwards of course was rushed through the 2020 crash-course-training camp projected to be a backup. For the second consecutive year, he was forced back into the starters due to an injury to a teammate.

Day three drafted rookie to starting offensive lineman

Now, keep in mind that David Edwards was graded as a backup/special team player in his 2019 NFL Draft profile. His NFL success (finding an impact offensive lineman on day three is a success) is all thanks to offensive line coach Aaron Kromer. While Kromer is no longer with the team, his legacy of crosstraining offensive linemen at all positions is still paying huge dividends for the Rams today. Edwards was drafted as an offensive tackle, but he slid inside to play offensive right guard in 2019, and offensive left guard in 2020.

While Edwards has not turned in a Pro Bowl season yet, 2021 is the first year in his career where he is entering the season as a starting offensive lineman. On that same line of thinking, it’s his first season where he is returning to play the same offensive line position that he played at one year ago.

It’s easy for fans to list offensive linemen as a priority for each NFL Draft because it’s easy to overlook the fact that they have a solid starter from the 2019 NFL Draft. Was he a headliner? No, just a young man with a dream of playing the sport he loves, and so far he’s doing a pretty good job of it.

Edwards improves each season, and with 2021 featuring an almost normal offseason that includes Organized Teams Activities (OTAs) and preseason games, his progress should be noticeable this year. Of course, if you fail to notice, that’s okay too. Like many NFL offensive linemen, David Edwards relishes his anonymity. But I hope he’ll be okay if we give him a solid on how well he’s played so far.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I for one have been on the Edwards train since he made his first appearance at LG. I understood the move to RG, but thought what a great opportunity it would be to play a season next to Whitworth. So they didn’t get in quite a whole season, but Edwards has impressed me nonetheless.

Edwards can be the breakout player nobody thought twice about last year (outside of us hardcore Ram fans). I see nothing but upside with him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I was wrong on Edwards, I'll admit it. I did not think he'd be as good as he was, and I'll gladly eat a serving of honey-glazed crow over it. Can't wait to see what he'll do as a full-time starter.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams caught a break with Edwards not being 100% in his senior season and that is why he lasted until the 5th round. Solid OL, playing well at LG, better in pass pro then run blocking, but Evans & Havenstein are opposite of that, so it works out well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One of those outstanding examples of a Snead decision utilization of a 3rd-day draft selection.

I am sure the methods & elements that brought David Edwards to the point where Snead made the call are sure to have been packaged up & placed in the Rams drafts vault until the 2022 draft.

Edwards is certainly perfect for the LG post (like @den-the-coach pointed out) with his near 6-6 large 320 plus lbs frame & having been a former starting OT involved heavy in pass protection for many seasons gave him the opportunity to grasp the very early job assignments @ LG then RG then back to LG when Kromer was here. Kromer never seemed too planned to enter any regular season with Edwards as his starter period.

In spite of Edwards not being a favorite of Kromer, he finished 11 gms as a rookie starter after the Noteboom injury. Then in 2020, he started the season as a backup but when Noteboom when down he finished the rest of the 14 regular season gms as the starter while battling since midseason an injured Achilles. Team doctors took Edwards out for the playoffs.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love David Edwards, but I still think he has the body and length of a right tackle.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm hoping he makes a big jump this year. No reason he shouldn't. The guy was good last year but simply cleaning up his technique and being a little more consistent should lead to some stuff like maybe Pro Bowl consideration. He's a heck of a lineman IMO.

Oh and that video of him with the straw he looks like the fat kid in class. Hilarious. :alol:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I for one have been on the Edwards train since he made his first appearance at LG. I understood the move to RG, but thought what a great opportunity it would be to play a season next to Whitworth. So they didn’t get in quite a whole season, but Edwards has impressed me nonetheless.

Edwards can be the breakout player nobody thought twice about last year (outside of us hardcore Ram fans). I see nothing but upside with him.

Not true - you go back & watch The last 3 Rams games & they were impressed.Chris Collinsworth one of them. The Rams should have beat the 9ers & went to the Playoffs.

What was your thought about Bobby Evans ? I know mine. It’s different from this article.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I was wrong on Edwards, I'll admit it. I did not think he'd be as good as he was, and I'll gladly eat a serving of honey-glazed crow over it. Can't wait to see what he'll do as a full-time starter.

Bobby Evans as well. Both were late round Draft Picks at 22 years old. At 23 last season The question I asked was were would you draft both in 2020. I’d say both are 1st. Or 2nd rd picks.

The contract talks is what they will get paid a season early.Evans & Edwards will get paid.2021 & 2022 both help The Rams salary cap.

nighttrain

Legend
I remember reading about Edwards after his junior season, he was going to enter the draft, and was getting 2nd round grades. He decided to stay for his senior year, got injured and played through it and slipped to us in the 5th round. Bad luck for him, good luck for the Rams
train

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Bobby Evans as well. Both were late round Draft Picks at 22 years old. At 23 last season The question I asked was were would you draft both in 2020. I’d say both are 1st. Or 2nd rd picks.

The contract talks is what they will get paid a season early.Evans & Edwards will get paid.2021 & 2022 both help The Rams salary cap.

Evans was a third round pick, though. He, David Long, and Darrell Henderson were all third round picks in the 2019 draft. Along with Rapp, Gaines, and Edwards, and Scott, that's a hell of a draft, even if some don't pan out, but I believe in Rapp and the third round picks a lot.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Evans was a third round pick, though. He, David Long, and Darrell Henderson were all third round picks in the 2019 draft. Along with Rapp, Gaines, and Edwards, and Scott, that's a hell of a draft, even if some don't pan out, but I believe in Rapp and the third round picks a lot.

Agree - an incredible draft.Plus add the Fact the lack of picks. The Rams had no depth at OL or the DB’s. Now look at how those players fit the puzzle.
2020 draft will be a Big reason The Rams make a SuperBowl run again.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I remember reading about Edwards after his junior season, he was going to enter the draft, and was getting 2nd round grades. He decided to stay for his senior year, got injured and played through it and slipped to us in the 5th round. Bad luck for him, good luck for the Rams
train

The thing is it was his sophomore year & he still came out a year early.
It was good luck & good scouting by The Rams.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
One of those outstanding examples of a Snead decision utilization of a 3rd-day draft selection.

I am sure the methods & elements that brought David Edwards to the point where Snead made the call are sure to have been packaged up & placed in the Rams drafts vault until the 2022 draft.

Edwards is certainly perfect for the LG post (like @den-the-coach pointed out) with his near 6-6 large 320 plus lbs frame & having been a former starting OT involved heavy in pass protection for many seasons gave him the opportunity to grasp the very early job assignments @ LG then RG then back to LG when Kromer was here. Kromer never seemed too planned to enter any regular season with Edwards as his starter period.

In spite of Edwards not being a favorite of Kromer, he finished 11 gms as a rookie starter after the Noteboom injury. Then in 2020, he started the season as a backup but when Noteboom when down he finished the rest of the 14 regular season gms as the starter while battling since midseason an injured Achilles. Team doctors took Edwards out for the playoffs.

Bonifay’d- saw Brian Allen playing 2nd string RG today. Interesting seeing it.#65 was 2nd string Center. The 2 3rd string QB’s were switching up.Can’t recall the Center though ? Max Pircher ?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bonifay’d- saw Brian Allen playing 2nd string RG today. Interesting seeing it.#65 was 2nd string Center. The 2 3rd string QB’s were switching up.Can’t recall the Center though ? Max Pircher ?
All I have been saying over the last two seasons is....as a college OL'er most of his starts came @ OG NOT center. The fact is he even had few events playing LG in his last season @ Michigan too.

One would presume that it was his super condensed size is that sealed the deal that he was a center & NOTHING else. Carberry is at least exploring possibilities outside the OC thus putting in play all the experiences that Allen does have & has worked on before just tossing him aside. He was one of the main cog's for his team in College in that OL, plus he has been a Ram these past 3 seasons with all that OL training.

would not surprise me at all if he gives Bobby Evans a seriously good deal of competition playing RG.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
If Brian Allen wants to make this '21 team, he's going to have to be a game-day active possibility.

That means he needs to be a center/guard.

Noteboom has the other game-day active locked down as a tackle/guard barring injury.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
So nobody is going to point out the irony of publishing a feature article about a player who relishes his anonymity?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
All I have been saying over the last two seasons is....as a college OL'er most of his starts came @ OG NOT center. The fact is he even had few events playing LG in his last season @ Michigan too.

One would presume that it was his super condensed size is that sealed the deal that he was a center & NOTHING else. Carberry is at least exploring possibilities outside the OC thus putting in play all the experiences that Allen does have & has worked on before just tossing him aside. He was one of the main cog's for his team in College in that OL, plus he has been a Ram these past 3 seasons with all that OL training.

would not surprise me at all if he gives Bobby Evans a seriously good deal of competition playing RG.

Good luck giving Bobby Evans a run for his money.Still to early to tell.I know a lot of Ram Fans are down on Brian Allen.

IMO - the fact Coleman Shelton is the backup center right now makes me think Brian Allen is in trouble.Preseason will be fun.To think Sean Mcvay just gave Brian Allen the starting Center spot with basically ZERO NFL experience shows me how much better The Rams OL is going into 2021.He is going to have to fight for his spot.

If you think Bobby Evans will get playing time in the Preseason,then you should also think Matthew Stafford will be getting some Reps as well or at least Austin Corbett.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bobby Evans's overall effectiveness @ RG will let your high expectations down ....big....