Lewan's Stock Continues to Rise

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Lewan's Stock Continues to Rise

By Jonathan Webb

http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and...-to-Rise/2fa0bdfd-2fc6-49ca-a086-06a9d1c542f2

University of Michigan offensive tackle Taylor Lewan's stock continues to rise heading into next month's Draft.

Known as a superior athlete at the tackle position, Michigan’s Taylor Lewan enters the final weeks leading up to the NFL Draft as one of three leading candidates to be the first lineman to come off the board.

Lewan established himself as a premier tackle prospect over his four seasons at Michigan, where he helped the Wolverines to three bowl appearances while making 41 consecutive starts. The 6’8,” 315-pound Lewan was a three-time first-team All-Big 10 selection during his collegiate career.

He drew strong reviews for his athleticism leading up to both the Combine and Michigan’s pro day, and those assessments were confirmed at both events. His 4.87-second 40-yard dash was the fastest at the position during the Combine. Lewan, who decided to forgo last year’s draft for his senior year at Michigan, believes his extra year of playing at the college level has only added to his NFL stock. Coming from the run-oriented Big 10 conference, Lewan stated his focus over the past year as improving his work in the passing game to better prepare for the NFL.

As a player who has gained a reputation for bringing an additional ‘edge’ on the field, Lewan has emphasized the physical style of play that defined his college career in recent months.

“I think I’m very consistent I’m a player who always plays through the whistle,” Lewan said while at the NFL Combine.

As a graduate of Michigan, Lewan has often drawn close comparisons to his mentor and current Rams left tackle Jake Long. The comparison is one that has been welcome to Lewan, who has communicated regularly with the former first overall pick.

“If I had to compare myself to someone, it would be Jake Long,” Lewan said. “He’s an unbelievable player, and it’s awesome to even be mentioned in comparison to him. He’s a great guy and a phenomenal person. I’ve gotten to know him a little bit.”

Though it would require a move to right tackle after playing on the left side at Michigan, Lewan said he would embrace the notion of joining Long in St. Louis, should the Rams select him with one of their two first-round choices.

Prior to the Combine, some draft experts had Lewan pegged as a possibility to land in St. Louis at 13th overall, though his recent ascent up the draft boards would make that scenario appear unlikely. In a recent mock draft of four NFL.com panelists, Lewan was chosen prior to 13th overall on three boards, with the one outlier having Lewan landing in Baltimore with the 17th overall pick.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's going to be one of the biggest mistakes someone in this draft makes.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Anyone but him. Anyone. I'd rather pick a pile of shit than Lewan. At least the pile of shit doesn't lie about what it really is.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really hope he falls to the rams at 13.

And continues to fall. Ignoring the character problems, the guy is a vastly overrated player. IMO, he's not going to stick in the NFL at LT...and can't play OG.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And continues to fall. Ignoring the character problems, the guy is a vastly overrated player. IMO, he's not going to stick in the NFL at LT...and can't play OG.

I disagree. I think he will be a solid NFL player, ive come to like his game quite a bit. And as far as the character concerns, it may sound bad but, I really just dont care as long as it doesnt impact his future playing time.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I disagree. I think he will be a solid NFL player, ive come to like his game quite a bit. And as far as the character concerns, it may sound bad but, I really just dont care as long as it doesnt impact his future playing time.

It doesn't just sound bad. Lewan threatened to rape a rape victim. As far as I'm concerned, psychopaths like that don't deserve to make millions of dollars. And at the Combine, when asked about it, he showed no remorse and pretty much said, "Well, that's her opinion." He flat out fucking lied about it at the Combine, to the media. Do you want to add Lewan's name alongside Claude Terrell, Darryl Henley, and Lawrence Phillips?

jjab360

Legend
I think you're letting your view of him as a person impact your view of him as a player.

jjab360

Legend
It doesn't just sound bad. Lewan threatened to rape a rape victim. As far as I'm concerned, psychopaths like that don't deserve to make millions of dollars. And at the Combine, when asked about it, he showed no remorse and pretty much said, "Well, that's her opinion." He flat out freaking lied about it at the Combine, to the media. Do you want to add Lewan's name alongside Claude Terrell, Darryl Henley, and Lawrence Phillips?
Without knowing all the details I'm just not that disgusted about it, tbh. College kids do crazy shit and people in general do crazy shit to try to keep their friends from going to jail. If I remember correctly he threatened her through a text message or over the phone or something to drop the charges against his roommate, stupid but not really sociopathic or psychotic.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It doesn't just sound bad. Lewan threatened to rape a rape victim. As far as I'm concerned, psychopaths like that don't deserve to make millions of dollars. And at the Combine, when asked about it, he showed no remorse and pretty much said, "Well, that's her opinion." He flat out freaking lied about it at the Combine, to the media. Do you want to add Lewan's name alongside Claude Terrell, Darryl Henley, and Lawrence Phillips?

I was saying my view may sound bad not what Lewan allegedly did. Im a fan of the St Louis Rams, nothing more, nothing less. I have no intention of befriending or interacting with Lewan and couldnt care less what type of person he is, if he can play at a high level im all for him

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

6'8" waist bender with an unimpressive kick-slide that plays too upright, doesn't time his punch well, and has issues with grabbing/getting his hands in the facemask. While he's mean and plays through the whistle, he isn't the run blocker he should be. Due to his stiffness, he over-compensates when firing out of his stance, lunges with his head down/gets himself off balance, and plays far too aggressive. This leads to athletic DEs making Lewan whiff or forcing Lewan to try and wrap them up when they avoid him.

Very overrated player. Technically unimpressive and his athletic measurables are better than his football athletic skill-set. While he's fast in a straight-line, his lateral agility is unimpressive and he's stiff.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
6'8" waist bender with an unimpressive kick-slide that plays too upright, doesn't time his punch well, and has issues with grabbing/getting his hands in the facemask. While he's mean and plays through the whistle, he isn't the run blocker he should be. Due to his stiffness, he over-compensates when firing out of his stance, lunges with his head down/gets himself off balance, and plays far too aggressive. This leads to athletic DEs making Lewan whiff or forcing Lewan to try and wrap them up when they avoid him.

Very overrated player. Technically unimpressive and his athletic measurables are better than his football athletic skill-set. While he's fast in a straight-line, his lateral agility is unimpressive and he's stiff.

You dont like him, I do. I happen to think Boudreau would be able to do wonders with Lewan.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you're letting your view of him as a person impact your view of him as a player.

I think I'm not. I can ignore the character issues and I still think the kid isn't worth a first round pick for the reasons stated above. I've put quite a bit of time into evaluating him. He's an overrated player. IMO, he's a NFL RT. Doesn't have the lateral agility, bend, and technique to play LT and is too tall and stiff to play OG.

Anyways, OL isn't my area of expertise and I'll be more than willing to admit it if Lewan proves me wrong but I think he's a bust in the making if he's drafted to be a NFL LT.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I was saying my view may sound bad not what Lewan allegedly did. Im a fan of the St Louis Rams, nothing more, nothing less. I have no intention of befriending or interacting with Lewan and couldnt care less what type of person he is, if he can play at a high level im all for him

And if his issues end up costing his team a game, such as the game against Michigan State last year? If his violent streak continues off the field? I'm sorry, but I can't support someone like Lewan. I have no desire to see us return to taking thugs, thank you very much.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You dont like him, I do. I happen to think Boudreau would be able to do wonders with Lewan.

Boudreau isn't a miracle worker. Drafting a flawed player(both technically and physically) because you think Boudreau can coach him up is an acceptable risk in the mid rounds. Not in the top 15.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Without knowing all the details I'm just not that disgusted about it, tbh. College kids do crazy crap and people in general do crazy crap to try to keep their friends from going to jail. If I remember correctly he threatened her through a text message or over the phone or something to drop the charges against his roommate, stupid but not really sociopathic or psychotic.

No. He not only threatened her through a text message. He told fellow football players that he was going to rape her if she didn't drop the rape charges against Gibbons. The players themselves went to the police. And he showed zero remorse during the media session. That's not psychotic. That's not sociopathic either. He meant to do it and showed no remorse afterward. He is a psychopath. Plain and simple.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Boudreau isn't a miracle worker. Drafting a flawed player(both technically and physically) because you think Boudreau can coach him up is an acceptable risk in the mid rounds. Not in the top 15.

Youre blurring the lines of your opinion and fact here. Him being overrated and unimpressive is all your opinion, one that others (myself included) dont necessarily share. I have a different opinion than you do and thats okay. I could be wrong, but so could you just as easily. Ive watched a good amount of tape on Lewan as well, and happen to like him.

Oh and also, youre twisting my words and over exaggerating in order to belittle my point of view. I think saying it would take a miracle to make Lewan a solid nfl player (which is what I said I think he can be) is a little over the top. And your next sentence paints my point of view in a different light than anything ive said. You cant just apply your view of lewan to my statements to discredit them. Clearly I dont see Lewan as a mid round talent that we can coach up or I wouldnt suggest drafting him 13th overall. I think he is a very good prospect that we can make better with one of the best Oline coaches on the planet.