Let’s talk about the run defense (again)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
The number of times I've heard that it couldn't get worse if we replaced a guy, only to see him get replaced with someone worse is truly disappointing.

We said it with Martz. We said it with spags (to be fair, Fisher was better, but not the better we wanted). We said it with Linehan. We said it with Schottenheimer. We said it with Cignetti. We said it with Alex Barron. We said it with Jason Smith.

There's always someone who can play worse. At least one of them is usually on the team and not starting.

"Better the devil you now than the devil you don't." Is a saying for a reason.

That being said, I dearly hope they sit Barron and start Wilson or Kiser or Hager.
Barron is more athletic than any of the guys listed and it may be that simple....that and pay of course.

fearsomefour

Legend
We have a "bend, don't break" defense. We look for turnovers. It is not a coincidence the number of turnovers we get. The Rams are going to give up yards We can not rely on the defense to win games.
The D was built with a trade off built in.
Small and athletic up front and (supposedly) really good on the back side.
The disappointment has been lack of an OLB pass rusher to develop. The plan I'm sure did not include trading for Fowler. Outside of a career game vs KC Samson is largely invisible in the pass rush. Longacre the same.
The D was designed knowing they would give up yards in the running game and underneath stuff. The idea (I think) was to get to the QB, make some plays on D and not allow big plays in the secondary.
The downfall has been a total fail in the secondary. That may get better with Talib coming back.....Talib can man up and Peters can play zone.
I get the concept and with the Rams offense it makes sense. It just hasn't come together like envisioned. It may also be a two year plan to get it all settled in.