Let's talk about receivers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
X said:
libertadrocks said:
quebecramfan said:
Hey all... I have a question for you and it has been bothering me for some time now... What the heck is a #1 receiver?? All I see these days are people saying that "hell... signing him will make a decent #2 or #3 receiver" ....

I think as rams fans we were so spoiled with holt and bruce that we may be in withdrawl of a great receiver....

I see teams win division champs with no big names....

Just a go to guy, that can make plays, and commands extra defensive attention. A Megatron, Andre, Fitz, etc
Yeah. The #1 guy on the depth-chart. It is funny though... I never actually had to try and define it. It's just one of those things that you know what you mean when you say it (like Franchise QB), but you can't necessarily find a legal definition for it.

Haha yeah. I kinda had to think for a little about how to define it. Never really tried before.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Ramhusker said:
Obviously, we can't go into this season without some kind of WR help. If we retain Amendola, resign Lloyd, Clayton plays, and keep what we had, we "could get by" if, like you said, we get improved OL play, we have a normal training camp/off season and the new O isn't too dang discombobulated. I think, without any FA moves, the Rams HAVE to draft a WR with one of their first 3 picks to get this O jump started. Of course, if Trent Richardson is drafted, we pick up a road grader OG and we do get improved OL play, those WRs might look like world beaters.

This^^^. I would love to see Blackmon in blue and gold, but I think Richardson could really help this offense if that is the direction they go. Regardless, the offense should look less like the 2011 trainwreck witg a proper offseason and less injury depletion.

X, that stat you posted in your OP reminded me of 98 when June friggin Henley led the Rams in rushing with like 15 yds, haha. We all remember what happened the next season. Jes sayin....

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
quebecramfan said:
Hey all... I have a question for you and it has been bothering me for some time now... What the heck is a #1 receiver?? All I see these days are people saying that "hell... signing him will make a decent #2 or #3 receiver" ....

I think as rams fans we were so spoiled with holt and bruce that we may be in withdrawl of a great receiver....

I see teams win division champs with no big names....

Someone you can rely on from the 1st possesion to a game winning drive. Someone who can make the play that either wins vs. losing.

Someone who can do it all (Fitz) vs. 1 thing (DeSean Jackson).

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The Rams got what they drafted and signed. They are what they are.

But when Lloyd was obtained it was like night and day over what the Rams had seen the last couple years wasn't it? Huge improvement seeing a WR being able to do the things he can.

Lloyd isn't elite or even in the top tier of WR, he's just very good but that's it. Really he's a #2 at best, poss. WR that can get in seams and catch the ball. But still he was a breath of fresh air in a fart filled room.

With the exception of Danny A. this is more of a validation of how God awful the rest of the WR have been.

I'm Blackmon at #6
Randell at #39 or even 33. If not Marvin Jones in the 3rd.

It's time to take out the trash and get some tools for Bradford.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yamahopper said:
The Rams got what they drafted and signed. They are what they are.

But when Lloyd was obtained it was like night and day over what the Rams had seen the last couple years wasn't it? Huge improvement seeing a WR being able to do the things he can.

Lloyd isn't elite or even in the top tier of WR, he's just very good but that's it. Really he's a #2 at best, poss. WR that can get in seams and catch the ball. But still he was a breath of fresh air in a fart filled room.

With the exception of Danny A. this is more of a validation of how God awful the rest of the WR have been.

I'm Blackmon at #6
Randell at #39 or even 33. If not Marvin Jones in the 3rd.

It's time to take out the trash and get some tools for Bradford.
He was good, but only because he was the only receiver familiar with the offense. Even Clayton couldn't get a grasp on it. When you look at Lloyd's numbers when he's NOT in McDaniels' system, they're not very impressive. So it makes sense that he'd follow the guy around who makes him look good. We don't know exactly what we have in Pettis and Salas right now because they had no clue what they were doing. With a more simplified offense, tailored to taking pressure off the QB, one (or both) could end up being quite good. I'm leaning towards Salas right now, but you just never know.

I understand what you're saying though. On a team filled with receivers who looked lost, he was the one guy who knew where to be at all times. He even changed a play in the huddle one time, and that resulted in a TD. If ALL the receivers had that kind of experience (10 years) and familiarity with the offense, then he wouldn't have been the only one who stood out. I wouldn't expect another rookie drafted this year to look as good as a ten year vet did either though. But yeah, let's pick one up and see how it all shakes out anyway. Competition breeds success.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
At this point, Lloyd looks gone to NE so we pretty much need to pick up Manningham. I'd hate to see the Mann get paid too much but I guess we need him. Then we must draft one of the top guys available this year,be it Blackmon, Floyd, Wright, etc. and maybe Clayton can come back?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ramhusker said:
At this point, Lloyd looks gone to NE so we pretty much need to pick up Manningham. I'd hate to see the Mann get paid too much but I guess we need him. Then we must draft one of the top guys available this year,be it Blackmon, Floyd, Wright, etc. and maybe Clayton can come back?

I'd be good with Blackmon or Floyd but I just don't see Wright on this team. It seems to me that the last thing we need is yet another slot receiver. Personally, I'd much rather see Hill in Horns.

quebecramfan

Rookie
So if the #1 receiver is the "go to guy" this is a variable for every team....

So let's say DX has a 1 000 receiving yards next season and 10 TD's

I bet most of the peeps will say "he's a good #2"...

Who was the pats #1??

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
quebecramfan said:
So if the #1 receiver is the "go to guy" this is a variable for every team....

So let's say DX has a 1 000 receiving yards next season and 10 TD's

I bet most of the peeps will say "he's a good #2"...

Who was the pats #1??
Yeah, it's hard to qualify what a #1 is, and not every offense needs one. Like you said, the Patriots relied more heavily on their slot receiver and tight-ends. That's the kinda offense they run. But when Lloyd steps in, he'll be their #1 receiver. The top of the depth chart, if you will. He may not rack up more numbers than anyone else, but he'll still be their #1. You have WR1, WR2, WR3, TE1, TE2, etc. Again, that doesn't necessarily mean that the #1 receiver is the focus of the offense. In THIS scheme, however, we'll need one.

Here's Norv Turner on Meachem:

“[hil]He’s a No. 1 receiver.[/hil] He’s a guy that has [hil]big-play ability[/hil]. He can be a [hil]complete receiver,[/hil]” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “Obviously he’s been in an offense where they spread the ball around to a lot of people. I think he’s a guy along the line of players we’ve had that [hil]can be an 18 yards a catch guy and be a very, very productive player.[/hil]”