Let's talk about James Laurinaitis now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think all things considered, James is easily a top 10 MLB. He may even show up higher if he wasn't having to do as much as he has since coming here. Suspect play at DT, safety, and outside LB can make your MLB look bad being that he starting in the middle of the field and is in on virtually every play that ends up there.

I look for JL to be able to play more freely with the addition of Tree and another year under Brockers' belt. Also, TJ could be a big help in taking some of the deep coverage off his hands.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I don't know enough about this position to say anything intelligent so I'll just say that I think he's just OK but since Fisher just approved giving him a big contract he must be pretty good.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
albefree69 said:
I don't know enough about this position to say anything intelligent so I'll just say that I think he's just OK but since Fisher just approved giving him a big contract he must be pretty good.

You still have your keen sense of the obvious I see.

:neener:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:

Kinda like the guy who calls in to answer the poll with "undecided" ain't it? :sly:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
LesBaker pointing out the obvious:
You still have your keen sense of the obvious I see.

:neener:

I've honed it to the nth degree. That takes talent you know. :what:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
F. Mulder said:
To me he's a solid/above average LBer who get by as much on brains as physical ability. He seems to struggle when exposed in space and has trouble shedding blocks but he is almost always in the right place to make plays and usually makes the ones he should. It seemed to me a lot of his missed tackles were him being exposed in space. He does better in closed areas in part of gang tackling. He is solid in pass coverage but I don't think he will ever become the thumper, big play making LBer some may have wanted. I see him as a very solid LBer who is consistent and does his job but is not a game changer.

Note: I am NOT ripping him. There are plenty of flash LBers who deliver snot-bubbling hits one minute and get gashed to death the rest of the game. He definitely is the captain of that Defense to me.

I haven't reached page 3 yet, but this post took the words right out of my mouth.

I'm also on board with a previous point that he dropped off in 2012. I'm not sure if it was the weight loss or what, but he dropped off.

+ he's a healthy player
+ he's a smart player
+ he's a leader

But he's got to shed blocks and make more plays to be elite.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
RamFan503 asked innocently:
Kinda like the guy who calls in to answer the poll with "undecided" ain't it? :sly:
I'd pride myself on my ability to remain undecided but I'm not sure I should. :neh: :fused:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
RamFan503 asked innocently:
I'd pride myself on my ability to remain undecided but I'm not sure I should. :neh: :fused:

Should we take a poll?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
RamFan503 asking me to go against a stacked deck:
Should we take a poll?
Oh yeah, that would be fair and unbiased. :lol:

Meh. You're great to have around these parts. Don't sell yourself short. You're a tremendous slouch. :7up:

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I think that a lot of his career, guards and centers have been able to go second level on him pretty easily because the NT in front of him haven't been able to occupy them. I think that any MIKE backer looks a little inconsistent under similar conditions.

One of the little things a good DT can do is disrupt the blocking technique of an advancing lineman. By getting lower and dragging a guy into carnage when he thought he could get down to the linebacker clean, suddenly the guard hits the Mike in the middle of the torso instead of the outside shoulder. A five yard gain becomes no gain. Stuff like that.

I think if Brockers becomes the cat we think he can be, you're not going to recognize this JL. He'll start blowing up plays in the backfield like a mad man, etc.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
PrometheusFaulk said:
I think that a lot of his career, guards and centers have been able to go second level on him pretty easily because the NT in front of him haven't been able to occupy them. I think that any MIKE backer looks a little inconsistent under similar conditions.

One of the little things a good DT can do is disrupt the blocking technique of an advancing lineman. By getting lower and dragging a guy into carnage when he thought he could get down to the linebacker clean, suddenly the guard hits the Mike in the middle of the torso instead of the outside shoulder. A five yard gain becomes no gain. Stuff like that.

I think if Brockers becomes the cat we think he can be, you're not going to recognize this JL. He'll start blowing up plays in the backfield like a mad man, etc.

This^^^

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Talk about pumping up your post totals. I think I am about 4000 in on brilliant posts like "This^^^" :tooth:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
RamFan503 having trouble seeing in his basement:
See?

I'm thinking you should get up and take your dog out for a walk. Get some fresh air. :eloco: :whome?:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
RamFan503 having trouble seeing in his basement:
See?

I'm thinking you should get up and take your dog out for a walk. Get some fresh air. :eloco: :whome?:

If I could just figure out a way to get out of this suit. Know anything about buckles?

Yer padding my totals man.

BTW Albe - How in the hell did you sneak in here in September and go so stealthy until now?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
RamFan503 inquired while trying to figure out those shiny things on his clothes:

BTW Albe - How in the hell did you sneak in here in September and go so stealthy until now?

I've been legally blind since I had brain surgery a couple of years ago. When the Huddle started breaking up I tried out this forum but it was too hard to navigate here and I gave up. X was somehow able to change the "skin" on this board for me to match the one at the Huddle. So now you guys have to suffer.

Deservedly so. Remember, no pain no gain. :cool:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Laurinaitis is a good LB. He's limited in certain respects but still a good player and a very important part of our defense because of his mind and leadership skills. Excellent in coverage and solid against the run. His biggest issue is that he just can't get off blocks.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Terrible dancer, least athletic player for his position on this D, but IF he makes the right calls he'll do.
I've never seen the hype, but really don't need to,if he doesn't hit a guy so hard he personally can't think for two plays I'm OK with it.