Let's talk about James Laurinaitis now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
What's the overall feeling about JL55? We just signed him to a 6 yr, $42M contract with $23M guaranteed, so apparently they think he's the centerpiece on D for a long time. From reading different people talk about JL, I get the feeling that people are mostly underwhelmed with his play. I don't know why that is, but I suspect it has to do with a lack of highlight reel plays. Is that accurate?

Here's how he ranks in the league among his peers (players who took 75% of their team's snaps at the position)

• 3rd - Run stop percentage
• 8th - Pass rush productivity
• 11th - Run game tackling efficiency
• 2nd - Pass game tackling efficiency
• 5th - Missed tackles (not good)
• 4th - Stops in the run game
• 19th - Stops in the passing game

• 1st - Coverage snaps per reception
(the amount of times an inside linebacker is the primary man in coverage relative to how many receptions he allows)

I've always felt that JL was a great coverage linebacker, but lacked that big thumping ability. He's always (to me) been a very sound tackler, and forgoes the big hit in favor of wrapping up. He's also very cerebral and is able to get the defense in the correct/best position on any given play. I think in terms of his value to this team, it all lies in his ability to QB the defense and play very sound, fundamental football.

Your thoughts?

Lesson

Oh, really?
I think he's an above average MLB, but I don't know where he'd fall in line behind other starting MLBs nor do I know what the going price is for an above average MLB.

I also think that as you mentioned, since he doesn't make the highlight reel plays, he is looked down upon a little bit. The missed tackles stat is a bit concerning, but I'd like to see the total amount of attempted tackles compared to other MLBs before I make a judgement on that.

bluecoconuts

Legend
5th in missed tackles like 5th worst? Ouch.....

Either way, I think JL is a good LB, and with good OLB he can/should be a fairly regular probowler... Like you both hit on, not so much flashy as sound... That's a good thing to me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
5th in missed tackles like 5th worst? Ouch.....

Either way, I think JL is a good LB, and with good OLB he can/should be a fairly regular probowler... Like you both hit on, not so much flashy as sound... That's a good thing to me.
Yeah, 5th worst. But I think the same reasoning that applies to Bradford's struggles also applies to Laurinaitis. Has he had a decent DT in front of him prior to this year? Has he been flanked by good LB's? Have his corners been good man-coverage players who give the front 7 additional time rushing the passer? Have the flood gates opened in front of him every time some scrub RB in the league wanted to make a name for himself? Prior to last year, he's been in some pretty average surroundings, IMO.

A55VA6

Legend
James is a solid starting MLB. He's good enough to be a centerpiece and captain of the defense, although he does have alot of work to do to become better. I'm not concerned at all in James. Just hope he continues to get better.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He is pretty good. No more or less.

The money isn't ginormous for the position so we can't hold that against him. His play is good, not excellent. He will look better as the front 4 become more monstrous and the secondary improves. He has below average speed so he isn't a coverage demon or a star when it comes to blitzing.

He is a steady presence and a very good tackler. In three or maybe four years they will probably be looking to replace him because he will be slower than he is now and that will be just too slow.

This will be his last contract with the Rams I'm certain of that.

But for now he is our guy and he is good enough with the talent in front of him.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Love JL55. One of the best coverage MLBs in the league and the surest tackler this franchise has seen since maybe London Fletcher. Not a big hitter but hey if one wanted that they would have probably drafted Rey Maualuga over JL55 lol.. and JL is leaps and bounds a better pro than Rey (I was PRO JL before that draft BTW). Solid range, solid acceleration for a LB, good gap find blizter (although did not blitz as much last season due to deep/mid cover scheme). Took some time to adjust to playing at lighter weight last season but never saw any real issues. Finished the season among the top 5 in tackles once again with just under 150!... Always HEALTHY too may I add (knock on wood). I think his contract is well deserved. It is hard to EVER be satisfied with giving out big money but to keep (or bring in) the really good players you very likely will have to over pay a bit. A leader of the team and the QB of the defense. I am proud to have JL55 in horns long term!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
biggame1190 said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaS_2LZ29hA[/youtube]
Heh. We used a lot of the same footage in our videos. :bg:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbDqVCRkeFs[/youtube]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
PhxRam said:
Is it me or does he seem to drop to his knees a lot when he tackles.
Yep. Dragging guys down with his own bodyweight.

PhxRam

X said:
PhxRam said:

Could explain some of those missed tackles. Dude needs to wrap and drive guys backwards.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
He dropped some weight and reduced his diet (consumption wise) last offseason because the coaches wanted him to be able to cover ground better considering the amount of dropping back he has to do in this defense. I think that had some play in why we saw him struggle to get off blocks at times last year.

He was pretty damn good in coverage though, and I would put his QBing of the defense up against ANYONE in the league. I saw him make so many right last minute adjustments to the D it wasn't funny.

Where are the numbers from X? Thanks for posting btw. Do you have a link so I can check out how everyone else stacks up?

RamzFanz

Damnit
His white man speed isn't a great fit for the NFC West now-a-days but he's a leader, reliable, and consistent and that means a lot. Top 5 in tackles AND missed tackles? Tells me he's being asked to tackle too much.

I'm thinking Ogletree's speed is going to be a huge addition to this D. Forget the revamped O, I can't wait to watch the D this season. Some good safety play and this is going to be something to watch.

F. Mulder

Starter
To me he's a solid/above average LBer who get by as much on brains as physical ability. He seems to struggle when exposed in space and has trouble shedding blocks but he is almost always in the right place to make plays and usually makes the ones he should. It seemed to me a lot of his missed tackles were him being exposed in space. He does better in closed areas in part of gang tackling. He is solid in pass coverage but I don't think he will ever become the thumper, big play making LBer some may have wanted. I see him as a very solid LBer who is consistent and does his job but is not a game changer.

Note: I am NOT ripping him. There are plenty of flash LBers who deliver snot-bubbling hits one minute and get gashed to death the rest of the game. He definitely is the captain of that Defense to me.

nighttrain

Legend
Just glad we have him, been forever we even had a MLB to talk about. JL gets in done, just his bad luck to other great MLB in our division
train

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
PhxRam said:
X said:
PhxRam said:

Could explain some of those missed tackles. Dude needs to wrap and drive guys backwards.

laram from the Herd has brought this up a few times and IMO and his it gives up extra yards versus hitting someone and stopping them.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I think he's an above average MLB. Maybe top 10. His brains are just as important as his physical traits. He's good in coverage and a sure tackler. IDK how the came up with those rankings, but I have a hard time believing he was one of the worst in the league at missing tackles.

It's also important to remember he struggled in the early part of the season last year. Those struggles were attributed to the new defensive scheme and should be erased this year.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
While certainly not a world beater, I dont think JamesL is as "slow" as some of you make him out to be (and dont throw me any stupid 40 times). I think his overall speed is solid for a LB and I think he has good burst acceleration for a LB too. I think he has solid athleticism for his size too, you can tell this from alot of his INTs. The INT he had on Josh Freeman was a thing of beauty, he did indeed bite but was quick enough to get back in position in his zone coverage to make the jumping INT.