Let's Look at the Saints Final Set of Downs before OT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
1:58 - 1st & 10 at Rams 13: (Shotgun) D.Brees pass incomplete short left to M.Thomas. (Rams with 2 T.O.)
1:55 - 2nd & 10 at Rams 13: A.Kamara right end to LA 13 for no gain (M.Barron). (Rams T.O., 1 Remaining)
1:49 - 3rd & 10 at Rams 13: (Shotgun) D.Brees pass incomplete short right to T.Lewis. (Rams with 1 T.O.)
1:45 - 4th & 10 at Rams 13: W.Lutz 31 yard field goal is GOOD (Rams with 1 T.O.)

If Payton does what most coaches would have done in that situation, which is run on 1st and 2nd downs forcing the Rams to use both timeouts. Then run on 3rd down and you can run the clock down to about 1:00 after the FG. By giving the Rams a timeout plus an additional 41 seconds was huge. It allowed the Rams some "breathing room" by allowing them to get down the field without being in complete panic mode.

Yeah the non-call on 3rd down was not good, and as many pointed out, good teams overcome adversity. The Saints had the ball first in OT, at home, and could have won the game. Brees throws an INT and the rest is history. I mentioned this a few times last night, but the Rams victory will be marginalized by the national media over a single non-call late in the game. They won't discuss the poor play calling by Payton down the stretch, and the fact the Saints had first opportunity to win in OT.

Bottom line, the Rams had to over come many things yesterday, and continued to show the resiliency most of us have seen all year long. We continued to claw and scratch our way back into the game, when most teams might have tossed in the towel after the first quarter. The Saints had us on the ropes early on and didn't knock us out. Let the media, and haters focus on 4 seconds, while Rams fans can focus on the other 63 minutes and 13 seconds of the game. RAMS ARE GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL!

Last edited:

John R

Rookie
Name
John R
You’re absolutely right. The non-call happened, it certainly didn’t make a Rams win inevitable. It took a lot of grit on the Rams to turn a slim glimmer of hope into a win, especially after they lost the coin toss in overtime.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I know this, there's no way McVay calls 2 pass plays at an opponent's 13 yard line, 1st down with 1:58 left on the clock. Just grind the clock & kick the FG to go ahead. So much can go wrong w/ pass plays, the worst of which happened - 2 clock-stopping incomletions. Payton can be as angry as he wants about the non-call but he's just projecting -- he's more angry at himself for trying to get the TD when it wasn't necessary for the W.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I told my wife when the Aints had to settle for 2 FGs instead of TDs in the 1st quarter, "that is how you lose games settle for FGs when you should be scoring TDs".

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
They won't bring up the non-call on Drew Brees, either. 4th down on the Rams 12 ( I think it was) and Brees head jerks, shoulder shimmies, and ass squats, his way to an encroachment call that should have been a false start on the Saints. Instead of field goal attempt, the Saints get a first down, and 7 points shortly after.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Damn right. Payton is blaming the refs to cover for his own p!ss poor coaching decisions at that point in the game. He blew it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If Payton does what most coaches would have done in that situation, which is run on 1st and 2nd downs forcing the Rams to use both timeouts. Then run on 3rd down and you can run the clock down to about 1:00 after the FG. By giving the Rams a timeout plus an additional 41 seconds was huge. It allowed the Rams some "breathing room" by allowing them to get down the field without being in complete panic mode.

He did that because he was getting jackshit out of the running game. Throwing was his only chance to try and score a TD.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Freak the Saints. They act like that was the only play in the game. Not to mention they got the ball first in OT.

Not a single bit of credit to the Rams who had to overcome a 13-0 deficit in that dome where the fans clearly affected the game. We also out gained the Saints in yardage.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Had he run the ball 3 x and kicked a FG, the 4 plays prob run off about 20 seconds. The Rams would have had the ball down three with 50 seconds left and ZERO timeouts. Having to try and drive for a game tying FG. There's also a chance they pick up a first down.

People do not really understand how awful Payton's play calling was. But all they want to do is talk about that play.