Let's go ahead and file this one under D for Duh.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
KN2y5.png

By Dan Arkush
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/0 ... g-wideouts

After improving from 30thto 18thin passing yardage this season — with three pass catchers registering at least 666 receiving yards (WRs Danny Amendola, Brandon Gibson and fourth-round rookie Chris Givens) — does wide receiver still shape up as the Rams’ No. 1 draft need for the second season in a row?

“It’s right up there,” one team insider said. “You’ve got to score points, and they still really need another playmaker, even if Amendola (one of 13 pending unrestricted free agents) comes back. If neither he nor (UFA) Gibson, who had a career year, don’t re-sign, then you’re suddenly down to three guys — Givens, (second-round rookie Brian) Quick and (second-year pro Austin) Pettis.”

The big issue with Amendola remains his penchant for injuries. After a separated SC joint (clavicle) and foot injury sidelined him for five games and limited him in three others, the fact he has suited up for a total of only 12 games the past two seasons is major cause for concern.

“Had he stayed healthy, he probably would have had something like 100 catches and 1,100 yards — No. 1 WR-type numbers,” the insider said. “But they’re hesitant to cut a long-term deal for him.”

Could Givens, who had a catch of 50-plus yards in five consecutive games, be a legitimate No. 1 receiver in the making?

“That’s a great question,” the insider said. “He got more attention on deep balls and got better running shorter routes, but I’m not ready to say just yet that he can be a No. 1 guy.”

While Quick, who was drafted two rounds ahead of Givens, struggled mightily to adjust to the pro level after playing at FCS Division I Appalachian State, Pettis made major strides as a dependable red-zone target as the season wore on.

“He has his pluses and minuses,” the insider said of Pettis, a third-round pick in 2011. “He has very good hands and long arms, but he’s not very physical. He did develop a chemistry with (QB Sam) Bradford. I could see him being the main slot receiver if Amendola moves on.”

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'd stop well short of calling Givens a #1 receiver. He's definitely an asset to the team, but he's more of a designed play/weapon guy. I think of Wallace in Pittsburgh, get him a few shots deep and try and get a screen game going with him. He's got hella quickness and they need to utilize that as much as possible.

I like what he brings and I love his potential, but I don't see him as a player capable of lining up across from a CB1 every play and winning a majority of those match-ups.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Warner4Prez said:
I'd stop well short of calling Givens a #1 receiver. He's definitely an asset to the team, but he's more of a designed play/weapon guy. I think of Wallace in Pittsburgh, get him a few shots deep and try and get a screen game going with him. He's got hella quickness and they need to utilize that as much as possible.

I like what he brings and I love his potential, but I don't see him as a player capable of lining up across from a CB1 every play and winning a majority of those match-ups.
Well, ya never know. His repertoire expanded as the season rolled on. Initially he was the 9-route guy who struggled with the underneath stuff, but he started catching on with the rest of his routes rather quickly. I don't know that he could be as well rounded as an Isaac Bruce, but I was pretty impressed with how his role increased later on in the season. I'm kinda excited to see how much better he becomes after this next off-season.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Since we are proposing additions to the Duh file can I propose the expression "brings to the table", SORRY but after a billion uses a cliche needs a replacement, they get old, tired , and dumb people start using them cuz they think it makes them sound like they have something to say.