Lets chat about Boras

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Doesn't really matter if the guy has basically been a co-OC and drawing up all the run plays.

There's clearly no one on this team that can formulate a competent passing attack.

So... like I said in another thread. A lateral move. That's also way too late in the game.

Remember that segment that talked of the genius of our run game? That was Boras.

Hopefully the guy can draw up a decent passing attack too.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The one thing I like about Boras and the thing that I think led to him being on Fisher's radar when he hired him is his association with John Robinson. JR was never a passing game guru but man that dude could scheme a run game. Back when he was the Rams HC with Sir Eric runnin the ball teams knew it was coming and it still didn't matter. Right now the Rams have that level of skill at the RB position, so gonna wait and see how it works out.

I'm behind Boras for now, and hoping he can tighten things up and squeeze better play from this OL. And I'll add this in closing... A young OL can be greatly helped by firing the F off on a defense instead of sitting back taking a beating in pass pro. The run game really is that important right now for this team. So I'm hopeful.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
IIRC, Blake Williams had no play-calling experience in 2012, but our defense played pretty damn well for him. Stranger things have happened.
Blake Williams also had Jeff Fisher, Dave McGinnis, Chuck Cecil and Frank Bush to lean on. There's nobody on the offensive coaching staff with even one of those guys' chops.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Blake Williams also had Jeff Fisher, Dave McGinnis, Chuck Cecil and Frank Bush to lean on. There's nobody on the offensive coaching staff with even one of those guys' chops.

Yea, fair enough. Even more of a reason to let the offense have free reign, and not micro-managed by an overly defensive staff.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Yea, fair enough. Even more of a reason to let the offense have free reign, and not micro-managed by an overly defensive staff.
I don't disagree, but there's nobody with any real experience running an offense on that side of the staff. You've got a very, very experienced defensive staff, and then a couple of kids on the offensive side of the ball who have been told "Go forth and offensiply." Having some sort of experienced guy - someone who has called plays, has learned the hard way how to attack defenses, etc. - if for no other reason than to be a sounding board for Cignetti or, now, Boras... how did the staff not think that's a good idea?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
My point that he was already drawing up the run plays and was pretty much co-OC with Cigs in that aspect so I don't expect the runs to get better primarily running them through the guy that made them in the first place mixed with our large deficiencies on offense as is and injuries to some of the few players who were playing good on said side of the ball. Everyone talks about how we don't like the run plays, well Boras was the man behind them, so why should I expect them to get better now that he's going to do it full time?

Is it safe to assume that maybe it's not the scheme but the FACT that they are down to playing their 4th & 5th OG?.... one of which missed most of training camp with an injury of his own?

No one was complaining about the running game when Gurley was ripping off 4 straight 140+ yard games with a relatively healthy OLINE.

The biggest issue for me with Cignetti was the oversimplification of the offense and how predictable his play calling had become. The ran basically four plays. Was this due to the limitations of the personnel or his inability to be more creative?

I guess we will find out over the next four weeks.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Things happen, and I get your optimism. I just don't agree, I can't place this on Cigs, nor Boras if he fails after. This offense isn't either of theirs, it's Fisher's and I feel like he should be held responsible. Not the guy 11 games into his first season here nor the new fall guy if things continue to falter.

I don't necessarily have a ton of optimism that Boras will do much better than Cigs did. And I agree that the buck ultimately stops with Fisher. But still, I think a change needed to be made, and I'm not going to look at lack of playcalling experience as a cause for pessimism in and of itself.

Barring a miracle, I think the Rams should probably look for a new OC this offseason irrespective of Fisher's fate.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Serious question: Do you think Boras will come anywhere near what Martz accomplished as an OC?

I understand optimism and trying to not get too caught up in all the negativity lately (I'm trying really hard to stay somewhat balanced myself... but it's difficult) ...

But I got to say this comparison might be a bit of a reach?

As far as Boras, his resume is thinner than Cignetti's.

But, I'll support him until he makes me no longer support him.

If nothing else, the Rams are making each week "unique"... we get to see if a new QB can make a difference... we get to see if a new OC can make a difference.

Trying to keep us tuned in on Sundays.

I wonder what they'll come up with next... (I vote naked cheerleaders)
:LOL:

No.

I never implied such a thing.

I will bold this so people get my point, which is: lack of prior playcalling experience is not, in and of itself, a reason for pessimism or a reason to believe a guy won't be good at it.

Nothing else is to be assumed from that. There is no optimism that suddenly we'll become a competent offense, no belief in my that the halcyon days of 1999-2003 will return beginning with the next game, etc. etc. etc. The point is, again, lack of prior playcalling experience is not, in and of itself, a reason for pessimism or a reason to believe a guy won't be good at it.

Also, the corollary is true: prior playcalling experience is not necessarily a plus. See Cignetti, Frank; Schottenheimer, Brian.

I hope I was clear.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never implied such a thing.

Bringing up Martz's name does IMPLY that... but, you're right... can't assume anything.

In most cases. you rely on historical results... that's why getting a Gase or a Jackson or a Cable... somebody like that would have made sense... at least there is some history of success to go by.

Rob Boras? Not much to go on there, my friend... but - as someone else said - stranger things have happened.

I'm certainly going to give the man a chance.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Bringing up Martz's name does IMPLY that... but, you're right... can't assume anything.

In most cases. you rely on historical results... that's why getting a Gase or a Jackson or a Cable... somebody like that would have made sense... at least there is some history of success to go by.

Rob Boras? Not much to go on there, my friend... but - as someone else said - stranger things have happened.

I'm certainly going to give the man a chance.

Your implication, not mine. My focus was solely on prior playcalling experience. A guy can have it and be a disaster, or a guy can not have it and be a success once he starts doing it.

I think a lot of it comes down to creativity and instincts and knowing how to exploit the opposing D's weaknesses with the talent you have on hand. Our last two OC's were lacking in that dept. despite prior playcalling experience.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
fixed it for ya Hometown!!!!

Man, Fish don't run the plays....trust me, he's trying to score....Guys not getting it done....
Foles didn't build this offense though and it hasn't run on all cylinders long before he was even a Ram.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Foles didn't build this offense though and it hasn't run on all cylinders long before he was even a Ram.

Yeah, but Foles could help by throwing TD's instead of those costly INT's when we were always in the game, and probably should've won some more games.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yeah, but Foles could help by throwing TD's instead of those costly INT's when we were always in the game, and probably should've won some more games.
Yeah, he stinks on ice and I'm no more a fan of his than anybody else.

But he didn't trade himself here, nor did he actively advocate for his trade here.

fearsomefour

Legend
Boras, Boras, Boras....

C'mon, am I the only one who thinks of this when I see his name??????

th
"I am Boras....here to expert the art of touchdown making!!"

fearsomefour

Legend
I think the Rams come out up tempo this week, run more middle of the field passing game and the O scores 20 points. May or may not matter looking at what the D will have to do to keep the game close.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Part of that domination is a factor of scheme. The O Line can be put in a position to succeed or a position to fail based on what they are being asked to do on a play and what the defense is doing in front of them. Having the right play call - and more importantly, the right play design can make an average lineman look a lot better. Having the wrong scheme and the wrong play call can make an all pro look really bad.

Coaching is waaaay more important in football than it is in most other sports.
Boy I hope you are right. I see an OL with almost NO experience, and lots of injuries and backups. I agree 100% that scheme can be tailored to help hide some of these weaknesses, but if the guys we put on the field can't run block or pass block successfully against NFL Level DLinemen, scheme, OC, QB, RB, won't matter much.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, he stinks on ice and I'm no more a fan of his than anybody else.

But he didn't trade himself here, nor did he actively advocate for his trade here.

Yeah your right, however, I don't think Fisher was going to chance it with Bradford for the obvious reasons. So why not take a shot a player that had a really good year and a crappy year while unloading the cap for Bradford.

I mean that is what good coaches do right? Try to improve their team with the best options available? Sometimes it works (Faulk, Champ Bailey) and sometimes it doesn't (Trent Richardson, Foles).

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think the Rams come out up tempo this week, run more middle of the field passing game and the O scores 20 points. May or may not matter looking at what the D will have to do to keep the game close.

If they do that, they should carry Boras off the field on their shoulders :LOL:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Nothing against Coach Boras, he's very intense and IMO can be a leader of men, but right now the Rams are in Quarterback hell and the only way out is to lose out and make a coaching change IMO. And then draft a QB and right now I'm California Dreamin'
la-sp-ucla-football-20141016