Lets chat about Boras

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Let's start with his coaching history.

1. OL Coach, Depauw University
  2. "Assistant", University of Texas
  3. Head Coach, Benedictine
  4. OC/OL Coach, UNLV
  5. TE Coach, Chicago Bears
  6. TE Coach, Jacksonville Jaguars
  7. TE Coach, St. Louis Rams
  8. OC, St. Louis Rams
There's simply not a whole lot of information. His record as HC of Benedictine was 3-7, but we don't really know the circumstances he was under there.

We all know what this offense is. What do you think Boras can change to increase success? Do you see him implementing more of a man-type blocking scheme? Do you see more slants and crossing-routes? Less bubble screens and more PA?

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Well, he's a former TE coach, so if he is pulling the strings as OC hopefully he can at least get Jared Cook to play close to his talent level and pay cheque. If he can manage that we should see a sizeable upgrade immediately given how many targets Cook gets (and usually does nothing with - he has been a tad better lately).

Athos

Legend
What's there to talk about?

Virtually no experience play-calling in the NFL or even really in the College Ranks.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

Virtually no experience play-calling in the NFL or even really in the College Ranks.
How hard is it to call the following plays, which is what Fisher told Boras is the extent of his playbook:

1-Gurley Right
2-Gurley Left
3-Tavon Right
4-Tavon Left
5-Britt Deep
6-Case scramble and look for anyone open!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

IIRC, Blake Williams had no play-calling experience in 2012, but our defense played pretty damn well for him. Stranger things have happened.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
He's the guy who's been drawing up most of the run plays, so all our runs are mostly his product, so I don't see why I should expect our runs to get any better. Our team is still entirely in disarray from offense to defense, lots of injuries and the guys who are still in... Just aren't very good or suffering from having to play with people below their level.

I don't see Boras changing much, besides who the sacrificial lamb will be at the end of the season.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
He's the guy who's been drawing up most of the run plays, so all our runs are mostly his product, so I don't see why I should expect our runs to get any better. Our team is still entirely in disarray from offense to defense, lots of injuries and the guys who are still in... Just aren't very good or suffering from having to play with people below their level.

I don't see Boras changing much, besides who the sacrificial lamb will be at the end of the season.

As I mentioned in another thread yesterday, the Rams once had another guy come in as OC with no previous playcalling experience ... some guy named Martz. Heard he sorta did ok.

fearsomefour

Legend
The last time he play called was about 10 years ago at UNLV.
The limitations are the same now as before, but, who knows? Nothing to lose. Hopefully we see a change in approach over the next couple of weeks.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
As I mentioned in another thread yesterday, the Rams once had another guy come in as OC with no previous playcalling experience ... some guy named Martz. Heard he sorta did ok.
There's a big difference between calling plays for Warner, Proehl, Hakim, Bruce, Holt and Faulk and calling plays for Foles, WRs with stone for hands and Gurley crying himself asleep at night.

Where are those guys on our team?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
There's a big difference between calling plays for Warner, Proehl, Hakim, Bruce, Holt and Faulk and calling plays for Foles, WRs with stone for hands and Gurley crying himself asleep at night.

Where are those guys on our team?

The point debated was about prior playcalling experience, which Martz had none of. He succeeded in spite of it. Yes he had talent on hand, but he also had the ability to maximize it and exploit defensive weaknesses through good playcalling despite his lack of prior experiment. Thus, prior playcalling experience (or lack thereof) doesn't tell you much at all about a guy's qualifications or whether he'll be ready when he finally gets to do it.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
The point debated was about prior playcalling experience, which Martz had none of. He succeeded in spite of it. Yes he had talent on hand, but he also had the ability to maximize it and exploit defensive weaknesses through good playcalling despite his lack of prior experiment. Thus, prior playcalling experience (or lack thereof) doesn't tell you much at all about a guy's qualifications or whether he'll be ready when he finally gets to do it.
Except I never mentioned his lack of playcalling, not that Martz is the standard to begin with. For every Martz there's a Cigs who will fall flat on his face.

My point that he was already drawing up the run plays and was pretty much co-OC with Cigs in that aspect so I don't expect the runs to get better primarily running them through the guy that made them in the first place mixed with our large deficiencies on offense as is and injuries to some of the few players who were playing good on said side of the ball. Everyone talks about how we don't like the run plays, well Boras was the man behind them, so why should I expect them to get better now that he's going to do it full time?

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Team just isn't talented at all, you could put anyone at OC, maybe they could get 10 points out of this team rather than 3.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Except I never mentioned his lack of playcalling, not that Martz is the standard to begin with. For every Martz there's a Cigs who will fall flat on his face.

My point that he was already drawing up the run plays and was pretty much co-OC with Cigs in that aspect so I don't expect the runs to get better primarily running them through the guy that made them in the first place mixed with our large deficiencies on offense as is and injuries to some of the few players who were playing good on said side of the ball. Everyone talks about how we don't like the run plays, well Boras was the man behind them, so why should I expect them to get better now that he's going to do it full time?

Actually, looking upthread, I meant to respond to another post, not yours. Oops.

My point still stands.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Actually, looking upthread, I meant to respond to another post, not yours. Oops.

My point still stands.
Things happen, and I get your optimism. I just don't agree, I can't place this on Cigs, nor Boras if he fails after. This offense isn't either of theirs, it's Fisher's and I feel like he should be held responsible. Not the guy 11 games into his first season here nor the new fall guy if things continue to falter.

Athos

Legend

My point still stands.

Doesn't really matter if the guy has basically been a co-OC and drawing up all the run plays.

There's clearly no one on this team that can formulate a competent passing attack.

So... like I said in another thread. A lateral move. That's also way too late in the game.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
s I mentioned in another thread yesterday, the Rams once had another guy come in as OC with no previous playcalling experience ... some guy named Martz. Heard he sorta did ok.
Serious question: Do you think Boras will come anywhere near what Martz accomplished as an OC?

I understand optimism and trying to not get too caught up in all the negativity lately (I'm trying really hard to stay somewhat balanced myself... but it's difficult) ...

But I got to say this comparison might be a bit of a reach?

As far as Boras, his resume is thinner than Cignetti's.

But, I'll support him until he makes me no longer support him.

If nothing else, the Rams are making each week "unique"... we get to see if a new QB can make a difference... we get to see if a new OC can make a difference.

Trying to keep us tuned in on Sundays.

I wonder what they'll come up with next... (I vote naked cheerleaders)
:LOL:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Boras, Boras, Boras....

C'mon, am I the only one who thinks of this when I see his name??????

th

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bigger problem than the OC, at least to me, is the OL. There are 3-4 DLs in the backfield before TG has a chance. Just as bad on passing plays. I don't think it matters right now who the OC is, it is hard to score when you are getting dominated at the line of scrimmage.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Bigger problem than the OC, at least to me, is the OL. There are 3-4 DLs in the backfield before TG has a chance. Just as bad on passing plays. I don't think it matters right now who the OC is, it is hard to score when you are getting dominated at the line of scrimmage.

Part of that domination is a factor of scheme. The O Line can be put in a position to succeed or a position to fail based on what they are being asked to do on a play and what the defense is doing in front of them. Having the right play call - and more importantly, the right play design can make an average lineman look a lot better. Having the wrong scheme and the wrong play call can make an all pro look really bad.

Coaching is waaaay more important in football than it is in most other sports.