Let's Assume...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
... that we trade down from number two and get an additional second this year and a first next. That would leave us two first round and two second round picks in this year's draft.

If no further trades are made, which positions would you like to be strengthened with those four picks? I'm not looking for specific players, just areas of need.

My four would be, in the order I believe we need them:

OT
FS
G
CB

What four have you got?

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I'm with you flipper.

Those first 3 need to be ready to start next season as well.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
There are a lot of people wanting a WR in the first round. I know that there was some pretty cr@ppy play from the current group this past season but we've invested a number of picks recently on receivers and we have pretty much all the skill sets covered (deep threat, red zone threat etc etc). While they need to improve (some dramatically), I'm content to allow them to do so without throwing another young player in there to take reps away from what we've already got.

I suppose I just don't see it as a priority when there are other gaps screaming to be filled. A good starting FS for example could potentially make a massive difference to the pass D and we all know about the needs on the O line which we all agree on

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Well, Snead indicated that they are all in on Sam, so no QB.

And he likes our 5 WRs and doesn't see a need there, so no WR.

And they like to find their OL in unknown places, so no OL.

And no one drafts a RB high anymore, plus we have Stacy, so no RB.

And we just spent a boat load of money on a Cook, so no TE.

And he loves our DL, all set there, so no DL.

And we have Ray Ray to fill out our LBs, plus the 3rd guy doesn't play much, so no LB.

So if you listen to Les, you think that we need 4 DBs in the first 2 rounds.

Maybe we can pick up a starting OT and OG in the 4th and 5th rounds. Wait we tried that already with Rok and Barrett. So we are ok there.

So it all makes perfect sense. We draft 4 CBs and S.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
FS (To get an elite one, you have to pounce in the 1st) Pryor, Clinton-Dix, Buchannon
CB (Same as above) Dennard, Gilbert,
OG (Ellite ones can still be had in the 2nd. In this draft, you have Richardson, Yankey, Martin, Sua-Filo, and Jackson)
OT Moses, Henderson, James and Collins may all still be there late in the 2nd to mid 3rd
WR/OLB By our 3rd round pick, you would be lucky to see the likes of Kelvin Benjamin or Allen Robinson at WR or you might see Van Noy, Breslin, or Bradford at OLB

PhxRam

And we have Ray Ray to fill out our LBs, plus the 3rd guy doesn't play much, so no LB.

Maybe we can pick up a starting OT and OG in the 4th and 5th rounds. Wait we tried that already with Rok and Barrett. So we are ok there.

I think you nailed it.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
We are going about this the wrong way. We need to find which players have off-the-field concerns who are a 1st round talent but will slip till the 2nd or later rounds. That's who we're going to target in the 2nd rd.

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Not OT for you DCH? I just feel like we have to grab at least one OT and preferably not a 4th or 5th rounder.
Not that concerned about OT, to be honest. Barksdale played really well when given the RT spot in 2013 so my only concern is when Long will be back and healthy. Once he's back, I think that's a solid OT duo, and Snead came out yesterday and said that they don't draft based on injured guys on the roster.

Now, I wouldn't be opposed to Greg Robinson or Jake Matthews with the first pick, but I don't see OT as particularly a hole on the team. Line-wise, I think we could have a good one IF Long comes back healthy, Saffold re-signs and Barrett Jones takes over at center. Yes it's a lot of "ifs" but I'm much more concerned about the interior of the line than I am about the tackles.

RFIP

I don't know Max, the interview I listened to last night Snead said he'd love to add a stud wr to ,what we already have..."

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Not that concerned about OT, to be honest. Barksdale played really well when given the RT spot in 2013 so my only concern is when Long will be back and healthy. Once he's back, I think that's a solid OT duo, and Snead came out yesterday and said that they don't draft based on injured guys on the roster.

Now, I wouldn't be opposed to Greg Robinson or Jake Matthews with the first pick, but I don't see OT as particularly a hole on the team. Line-wise, I think we could have a good one IF Long comes back healthy, Saffold re-signs and Barrett Jones takes over at center. Yes it's a lot of "ifs" but I'm much more concerned about the interior of the line than I am about the tackles.
Long's injury, and injury history, concern me. Even if he is back for game 1, and I'm not convinced that will be the case, we have next to nothing for depth. Saffold changes that a bit for me but he has his own injury concerns. I know there are other areas of need but drafting both an OT and OG in round 1 would not disappoint me greatly.

Matthews at 4 (after a trade down with CLE) and G. Robinson at 13, or even in a trade up if needed, with the intention of moving Robinson to OG to begin his career?

tonyl711

Starter
OL
WR
CB
FS
don't have to be in that order, go BPA in those areas when picking.

A55VA6

Legend
Safety
Cornerback
Wide Receiver
Defensive Tackle

I'm a fan of BPA, so the order doesn't matter. The Rams like to groom their offensive lineman - (Person, Hooey, Jones, Barnes, Washington, etc). They will take a couple years without really playing, and they develop into starters or solid backups. Maybe draft 1 OL or get one in FA but I definitely think if they go OL at all it'll be in the middle rounds.

And I'm a Sammy Watkins guy. I say draft him... even at #2 if you can't stay in the top 5 by trade. He's finally that #1 guy the Rams need.

Who wouldn't want this?

1. Watkins
2. Bailey
3. Austin
4. Givens
5. Quick
6. Pettis*

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Long's injury, and injury history, concern me. Even if he is back for game 1, and I'm not convinced that will be the case, we have next to nothing for depth. Saffold changes that a bit for me but he has his own injury concerns. I know there are other areas of need but drafting both an OT and OG in round 1 would not disappoint me greatly.

Matthews at 4 (after a trade down with CLE) and G. Robinson at 13, or even in a trade up if needed, with the intention of moving Robinson to OG to begin his career?
I'd be fine with either of those, and think Robinson would be a phenomenal G with the flexibility to move outside if needed. I'm less concerned about Long, as his injury was a freak one rather than something that should be recurring (like a hammy). I'm not convinced he'll be back for game 1 either, but he played like a top 5 tackle this season while healthy, which is why I'm penning him in as a bookend LT.

I'm not sure Robinson will last to 13, though... if he's the target, I think you have to take him with the higher pick (after a trade-down, of course). I think he'll do like DJ Fluker did last year - projected initially as a 20-30 range pick, goes #11 after a massive run on linemen.