Let's assume they really do want Mack, and value him that high. So how far down can you trade?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think you named 16 guys...
Clooney
Watkins
Robinson
Matthews
Mack
Barr
Lewan
Gilbert
Bortles
Manziel
Bridgewater
Mosely
Donald
Evans
Jernigan
Ford
Your point?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Your point?

I was just providing a nice clear listing of all the players who can be considered top ten talent. And I would actually add one or two. I can see someone like Buffalo going for Ebron. And Carr going in the top ten won't surprise me either.

But I agree that the list of elite guys is much smaller, half a dozen guys or so.

Interesting to compare it to the elite guys that came out of the 2011 draft. There were a dozen guys picked in the top half of the draft that year that have made the Pro Bowl.
Newton
Von Miller
Dareus
Patrick Peterson
AJ Green
Julio Jones
Aldon Smith
Tyron Smith
Watt
Quinn
Pouncey
Kerrigan

Imagine having #2 and #13 that year? You'd end up with AJ Green and Robert Quinn. Now that would be an amazing draft.

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO if the Rams love affair with Mack is true and they think he is the best player in the draft you stay at 2 and draft him

Of course. Besides, he could just as easily be the #3 selection for Jacksonville, who have been looking for a pass rusher for years. Anybody else remember that their head coach was the DC of a Seahawks team that selected Bruce Irvin in the first round. They are running the same defense and Mack fits.

jjab360

Legend
I don't think you can trade down if you really want him. Don't think he makes it out of the top 3.

BadCompany

Rookie
It would have been so much better to get that #1 spot... then we would have really controlled the draft. I think this is going to be Houston's show, and they are pretty much going to determine how everything else plays out.

I'm also not convinced that ANY QBs are going to go in the top 6. I think every team that wants one of those QBs will be thinking they can trade down into the 6-10 spot and still get one of them, so I believe EVERY team at the top of the draft is going to be shopping their pick, just to see what they can fetch. Which I guess is a round-about way of saying that I don't think we can fall farther than 5. Clowney, Mack, Watkins, Matthews and Robinson could very well be the top 5 picks taken (not necessarily in that order). That would leave us picking a "lesser" talent (in quotations) should we fall to 6 or lower.

Now if they've identified a hidden talent that they think will be a top five player but available in the 6-12 range then they might gamble. They've certainly showed the ability to take risks on draft day. But I also think the rest of the league is on to the Snisher way, and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. So everybody is going to be trying to shuffle the deck at the top of the draft. It may be the craziest draft we've seen in quite some time. Which *could* lead to us getting too cute and missing out on a top-tier player because we guess wrong on what other teams are going to do. So the safest play might simply be to stay at 2 and call it a day on the RGIII trade. We don't want to pass on a battleship to get three destroyers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just for conversations sake. Let's say they really do want Mack, and value him that high.

Imo that puts Watkins, the 2 tackles, Clowney, and Mack as the "elite" talent in this draft imo. That means (assuming the Texans go QB), we can trade down to 5 and still grab one. If the Browns or anyone higher aren't willing to deal, how comfortable you trading down further and taking the gamble that one still falls?

There's still a lot of other talent in the draft. Would you be like it if we didn't come away with one of these players though? For me, if we trade out of the 5 range, we better be getting a sweet compensation if not. And WE BETTER know who that team is taking if they do trade up.

First off if JC is there all the love & value in the world would not be enough to move me to select a LB'er over a DE. Now Jags @ #3 and Falcons @ #6 would be the two teams most in heat and drooling.