Les Snead spoke with the media today. These are some of the main talking points:

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
WTF is that horrible noise while the clip's playing?:puke: Do people actually like that?:thinking:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
“Restructuring” usually just means reducing current cap hit but pushing dead money into the future.

Something that Demoff hates to do. In fact, he prefers the opposite.

Demoff’s strategy makes the release of a Tavon, Quinn, and Barron even possible if it became necessary.

Which just might be damned convenient this offseason.

Short answer to “restructuring” Quinn? Don’t do it.

About Watkins. I would be reluctant to tag him. He hasn’t earned it. Sign him for a max of $10 million per, less if possible. If he balks, I would sign another FA at WR to be our deep threat and develop Reynolds and Thomas as rapidly as possible.

If none of those three satisfies this year, then I address WR in ‘19 via draft or FA.

Overpaying Watkins just repeats the errors of the Tavon and TruJo contract fubars. Can we really afford to do that, given our many other contract needs?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think due to how the draft looks like it might break that there will be a chance to trade down from #23 to either late 1st, early 2nd and pick up a 2nd rounder or a high 2nd and high 3rd.

If the guys they're probably targeting like Vea, Payne, Jackson and the Clemson OLBs and OLB Hubbard from OSU. If those guys are all gone (that would mean that some WRs are available and likely Baker Mayfield), then it works for the Rams to trade down and aggregate picks and go for guys like NT Tim Settle or OLB Dorrance Armstrong.

I mean, I'm all for hitting the homerun if Josh Jackson or Vea is still there, but if not, trade down and get either a high 2nd and/or high 3rd.

Trader Les always ensures a move up or down when it's there. I could see him doing either tbh. If a guy they value highly slides, hey, move up for him if warranted. And as you say, a slide back if the guys they covet are gone might be the way to go. Crappy part of drafting late first round.

I have to think if it's a trade up it will be for a LT. Otherwise we're lookin defensive needs. And as always IF a guy really stands out there with a high grade take him regardless of position.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
At this point in time, the "franchise tag" for Sammy is a negotiating ploy. It always is until it's put on the table. I thought I read somewhere that there's a version of the tag that averages top 5 at the position and there's a version that averages top 10 at the position. I think top ten would knock the number down from 15 mil a year.

The Transition tag is the one that averages top 10. It allows you to match, with no compensation if the player leaves. If not signed, he's paid top 10 which saves some cash.

I have to think that is more appropriate for Sammy. But I really don't expect them to have an issue. I think they get him signed before the tag is required so they can focus on the defensive changes they need to make in replacing Quinn and Barron (both of whom are very high chance of being gone).

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There is no way to sign them all and if you get cute and try to lowball everyone you can lose more than a few.

I start with cutting Quinn since it saves the most. 11.5m I think. 8.5 sacks can be replaced easily by Longacre and some draft picks.

It Will be a long season in 2018 if we lose more than one of NRC, Joyner and Tru. I used to harp on Joyner but he is now my priority of the three.

He vast majority of Super Bowl teams in the last 4-5 years has great secondaries

If Joyner wants too much he could be replaced with TJ Ward. Strong Safeties don't usually break the cap and they are also abundant in the draft. Overpaying for even a very good one is not worth it.

I would love for Vita Vea to fall to us at #23.

I'd rather have Payne. Vea had that one stand out play downfield against Penn State. I expected to see him dominate their OLine. That OLine struggled all year against good defenses. They had their best game blocking against Washington this year. They got more push and second level blocks against Washington than they did against most Big Ten teams on their schedule. I wasn't impressed with Washington's highly touted defensive line...Vea included.

somewheres between 7-10 million sounds about right to me
train

Yep, and clear space by cutting Tavon. I read the franchise tag for Sammy would be 15-16 million. The only reason to go that route would be if they weren't sure if he will reach the potential they want and need to see another year, or they are planning on moving more to an offense like McVay ran in Washington with two tight end sets. I don't think they gave up on Everett. I think he will be better next year and on the field more. In that case ten million for Watkins will be a lot when he isn't on the field much. If Everrett becomes the match up problem that they drafted him to be then Sammy would have a reduced role.

Did you see the open field tackle he made vs Penn State? He looked like a 235 lb linebacker just casually taking down a returner in open space.

Too bad he didn't look like a dominant Nose Tackle.

If the Rams are going to make Donald the highest paid DL in the league do it now while his play is worth the money. Don't wait two or three years and then give him a 7 year mega contract. Don't make the Orlando Pace mistake again.

I agree totally. They have 51 million under the cap. They should have more after a few cuts. Pay Donald big now before Goff is due. Put a big signing bonus up front to front load the contract. Keep him in his best years.