Les Snead: Rams knew Nick Foles trade might fail

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
a6AY7qYesgUYo.gif

Also, how much of a bummer has the past year been for Foles? Has he even been at OTAs cause that would be awkward since I'm assuming they are just waiting post June 1 to cut him?

Nope. If they wanted to cut him, they could designate him a post-June 1 cut. It doesn't make sense to use the post-June 1 designation.

jap

Legend
I still think they gotta cut their losses and dump Foles. I don't see him as a viable NFL quarterback.

As was noted earlier, you want four QBs from training camp through pre-season. The fewer QBs in camp, the more work they have to do throwing passes to myriads of WRs, TEs, and RBs, and the more likely for one or more of those QBs to develop 'camp arms' from overwork.

They must not have any impetus to cut him or he'd already be gone. I haven't seen a QB go down hill that fast since Bulger got shell shocked from having no O line.

It is very tough, even for veteran QBs, to deal with poor OLs and all the hits they have to absorb as a result. Although the 'Stache & the Hair have gotten praises for essentially drafting an OL last season, it is a brutal thing for a QB to perform behind a mostly inexperienced OL. With their first pro off-season, these young OLers should advance significantly in their second season, which is much better for Jerad or Case.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
All's well that ends well.

The 2nd rounder from the Bradford/Foles swap turned out to be the difference in us getting the #1 pick and consequently Goff. Thus, it's hard to argue that we didn't salvage anything from the trade. If Jared Goff is what we did salvage from the trade, then yeah, I'll take that any day.

I can understand lamenting giving Foles an extension, but at the same time I agree with X's point about hedging their bets. Cutting Foles won't be a cap killer. Had he not been extended and then had a decent or better season, we would have been in a bad position having to re-sign him when you look at what the FA QB market was this year - Brock Osweiler's ridiculous contract was Exhibit A.

Imagine if we were scrambling to re-sign Foles with 3/4 of our starting secondary coming up for free agency - especially if Foles was on the borderline. That wouldn't have been a good situation, but the extension took that off the table, and the extra 2nd rounder put us over the top to get Goff.

I'll call it a short term loss for a potential long term gain that is much bigger in magnitude. And if any of our other draftees from this year make a difference, Snead will look like a genius.