Les Snead: Rams knew Nick Foles trade might fail

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Les Snead: Rams knew Nick Foles trade might fail
By Chris Wesseling

[www.nfl.com]

The Los Angeles Rams have been trying to solve their quarterback riddle since early in the 2015 offseason, when general manager Les Snead insisted that "deleting" Sam Bradford was not the answer.

Less than a month later, Bradford was summarily shipped to Philadelphia along with a fifth-round draft pick in exchange for Nick Foles, a 2015 fourth-round pick and a 2016 second-round pick.

Appearing on FOX Sports' The Peter Schrager Podcast last week, Snead insisted that he had no intentions of dealing Bradford until teams starting calling to gauge his quarterback's availability. The Rams' preference at the time was to reduce Bradford's salary after back-to-back ACL surgeries, with the opportunity to earn money back via playing time bonuses.

"And initially you're like 'Hey, we haven't really thought of (trading Bradford),'" Snead said. "Who's the answer after him? We're really looking to try to get something done contractually. Those few teams kept calling and calling, now we're talking about it internally. Eventually, we made the move. You very rarely see starting quarterbacks swapped. One of the reasons for us was it helped us from a financial standpoint."

As it turns out, the 2016 second-round pick acquired from the Eagles carried more value than Foles. In fact, Snead revealed to Schrager that the team's brass was not convinced Foles was the answer.

"We also knew grabbing that extra second-round pick, whoever our quarterback was going to be last year might not work out, so it would be time to start looking again," Snead explained. "We knew by getting that extra second-round pick it would give us the ability to maneuver more in the next draft."

The Rams went on to sign Foles to a two-year extension last summer, but protected themselves by allocating the bulk of the financial commitment to the 2016 season. By the middle of November, the former Pro Bowl MVP had lost his job to Case Keenum. By the time the offseason kicked off, Foles was persona non grata in Los Angeles.

Realizing there was no chance of competing against the stacked Cardinals and Seahawks without a viable quarterback, the Rams sent a treasure chest of picks to the Titans for draft's top spot.

If not for the second-round pick originally acquired in the Bradford-Foles trade, Snead might not have pulled off the blockbuster trade for Cal star Jared Goff.

"I do think having the two twos in this draft was very beneficial," Snead added. "... I think that was definitely a core part of it, a big part of the foundation of that trade."

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Umm, OK les. That sounds a lot like him trying to put lipstick on a pig...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
So he's trying to say they knew since the trade that they would make another trade in the draft to trade up for a QB after trading for more picks? My brain hurts.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Just hedged his bets is all.
Seems to have worked out - from a QB standpoint anyway.

rdw

Pro Bowler
How was this lipstick on a pig? There were two pigs in this trade and we got one with lower salary and for a 2nd rounder that allowed us to draft a QB #1 this year..
OCoRwY1.png

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
So, They knew that Foles wouldn't work out before they extended him??????:banghead::giveup:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So, They knew that Foles wouldn't work out before they extended him??????:banghead::giveup:
No, not really. They extended him in the event he DID succeed. That way it wouldn't cost a fortune the following year if he tore it up. If he tanked, the contract wouldn't be painful to dump, and they had an extra second round pick in the bag to use to find HIS replacement. It all just sounds like good planning and hedging of bets to me.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I still think they gotta cut their losses and dump Foles. I don't see him as a viable NFL quarterback.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
They must not have any impetus to cut him or he'd already be gone. I haven't seen a QB go down hill that fast since Bulger got shell shocked from having no O line.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
That's the real puzzle to me. All this spin would have polished the turd quite nicely if they had simply let Foles prove it.

I've no problem with them moving on from Bradford's contract. They did what had to be done, but I was beside myself when they extended Foles' contract.

Psycho_X

Legend
a6AY7qYesgUYo.gif

Also, how much of a bummer has the past year been for Foles? Has he even been at OTAs cause that would be awkward since I'm assuming they are just waiting post June 1 to cut him?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
a6AY7qYesgUYo.gif

Also, how much of a bummer has the past year been for Foles? Has he even been at OTAs cause that would be awkward since I'm assuming they are just waiting post June 1 to cut him?

You want to have 4 qbs at the start of training camp, especially in case of injury. Unless there's an acceptable trade offer, no reason to cut him until the cut down from 90 to 75 roster spots.

Ram65

Legend
How was this lipstick on a pig? There were two pigs in this trade and we got one with lower salary and for a 2nd rounder that allowed us to draft a QB #1 this year..
OCoRwY1.png

However, the Rams gave the lower salaried one a higher salary without having to. Foles bought a bunch of new clothes to match the lipstick and a lot more goddies.