Les Snead on nfl network

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WvuIN02

Starter
someone like Sam Bradford you mean?

Being able to identify the franchise QBs in the first round from those who are not you mean?

The Rams could have Russel Wilson right now no?? I mean, unless you think Michael Brockers is more important?

Memphis Ram

Legend
when asked about taking gurley while the offensive line was depleted, les replied along the lines of:
"Well we did our research and the average starting left tackle is taken in the top two rounds while the average starting right tackle or guard is taking around round 3 or four. So we knew we could get a once in a lifetime player like gurley while still getting our lineman later."

Interesting.

Anyone that has closely followed the draft knows this is true.

TheBunk

Rookie
Im not saying Lynch isnt important to the team, what Im saying is that Seattle didnt spend a 1st on him either. They spent a 4th and 5th on him.......thats it, while they drafted the nucleus of the team to let him excel. It was the arrival of Russel Wilson, not Lynch, that made that team finally win.

Franchise QBs, linemen, and pass rushers win SBs and get you to the playoffs..... not Gurley, or for that matter, Adrian Peterson. Those guys affect every play. Seattle, NE, GB, the Giants, Pittsburgh (not this last year but in recent years) etc who have won a ton of Super Bowls in recent years had those things...not franchise RBs. Who does NE need at rb to win SBs? GB? Pittsburgh? Those teams have a consistent draft strategy for the first round......none of which involve taking running backs....thats all Im saying. Round 2 seems like an ideal spot, find the freakish pass rushers and dominant hogs on both sides of the ball in round 1....there arent many of those guys to go around.
Lynch was a first round pick. And that was with character concerns.

WvuIN02

Starter
Seattle did not spend a 1st round pick on him. Buffalo did. This kind of drafting is a big reason why Buffalo sucks balls year in and out.....

Now a 4th and a 5th for a franchise rb? Hell yes. Similar to how the Steelers fleeced the Rams for Jerome Bettis and not spending a first on him either. Lawrence Philips....yea....1st round top 10 pick no?

UDFA
Sorry but I dont buy Sneads line of thinking.

The teams that WIN....and Im talking about important things like SBs, playoff wins year in and out......consistently do not draft running backs in round 1, pretty much ever. Round 2? Sure. Seattle let Buffalo waste a 1st on Lynch and then got him for a 4th and 5th. Le'Veon Bell, Eddie Lacy etc? Not round 1 picks. I cant see Gurley ever putting up more yards from scrimmage than Bell did last year....especially when you factor in 2nd round vs top 10 pick.

Do I love Todd Gurley as a RB? Yes. It's more of the fact that teams who are winning...a lot....are taking linemen, pass rushers, franchise QBs in round 1....not rbs.

Yet Seattle invested 2nd & 4th round picks behind him...
And wasted a 1st on Percy Harvin...

My point is.. Sticking to rules like "never draft a RB in 1st" is pure silliness.
Build the best roster possible.
If Gurley is close to AP.. It's a great pick. There was no one on the board who would make close to the same impact.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
when asked about taking gurley while the offensive line was depleted, les replied along the lines of:
"Well we did our research and the average starting left tackle is taken in the top two rounds while the average starting right tackle or guard is taking around round 3 or four. So we knew we could get a once in a lifetime player like gurley while still getting our lineman later."

Interesting.

Shut up @Memphis Ram...just...gaah:LOL::LOL:

WvuIN02

Starter
Seattle had the luxury of wasting/risking a 1st round pick, they were already a SB caliber team. The Rams are not.

WvuIN02

Starter
Also, the "once in a generation" title is about the biggest load of hyperbole I have read. I would take Le'Veon Bell 100/100 times over Todd Gurley and I doubt he ever puts up a stat line like Bell did. And he was a 2nd rounder.

Is Adrian Peterson a "once in a generation" type of player? No, because that means Ladanian Tomlinson or Marshall Faulk never played in the NFL. The use of that label is just plain stupid in the media to add buzz to a story. Very good, yea....but goddamn do I hate that label. The kid already has ridiculous expectations to live up to, people on this forum are already saying things like the "next AP"....yea that's realistic.........

UDFA
Seattle had the luxury of wasting/risking a 1st round pick, they were already a SB caliber team. The Rams are not.

Laughable & also fails to address the obvious.
Gurley is projected as an impact player.
No one left at that slot had that kind of obvious potential.
Btw.. Knowshon Moreno was the 12th pick. Crippled the Broncos, right?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Sorry but I dont buy Sneads line of thinking.

The teams that WIN....and Im talking about important things like SBs, playoff wins year in and out......consistently do not draft running backs in round 1, pretty much ever. Round 2? Sure. Seattle let Buffalo waste a 1st on Lynch and then got him for a 4th and 5th. Le'Veon Bell, Eddie Lacy etc? Not round 1 picks. I cant see Gurley ever putting up more yards from scrimmage than Bell did last year....especially when you factor in 2nd round vs top 10 pick.

Do I love Todd Gurley as a RB? Yes. It's more of the fact that teams who are winning...a lot....are taking linemen, pass rushers, franchise QBs in round 1....not rbs.

All of this maybe true for now but as soon as someone becomes successful using a different philosophy everyone will fall inline. We have been a passing league for a good spell and if you follow the trend the league has always switched back and forth. It may be that the trend is ready to change yet again. The copycat philosophy is fear based and in time the latest philosophy gets to be outdated and inefficient due to teams being able to prepare their defenses to neutralize the latest trend.
Maybe this time like the GSOT days which helped fuel the recent pass happy big WR and strong armed QB with no feature back but RB by committee. We will again be at the forefront of the newest revamped trend. A Feature back driven offense leaving teams to rethink their defensive philosophy and try to catch up with us. MAYBE

V3

Hall of Fame
I agree with Snead BUT there's one little point that he failed to acknowledge. Those teams that are taking the O linemen in the third or fourth round most likely have veterans lined up next to them and/or aren't relying on them to start immediately.

I didn't want to take a lineman there either and am glad they went with a skill position in the top 10 but I don't like that he didn't mention that. It's misleading IMO.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I would say the the teams that are constantly in the playoffs and winning have stability first and foremost. They also follow their draft philosophy over the years. The Rams needed playmakers on offense and oline. They have drafted those positions this draft. When an explosive offensive talent is available, you take him. Especially with the division the Rams play in and their lack of offensive production over the last several years.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The only stud you need is a franchise QB, not those at a skill position.

I'll give you a very relevent, yet painful, perfect example of this of two teams roads to SBs which follow identical tracks.

Two teams get fleeced in trades for great running backs....Buffalo and St Louis...for Marshawn Lynch and Jerome Bettis, respectively. Both will likely be HoFers, both improved the teams they went to greatly. Neither was the key for winning a SB. Lynch and Bettis were both on good teams with good defenses and no franchise QB.

Then two young guys show up and win early in their career: Wilson and Big Ben. And it wasnt until they got a QB that either one of those teams got over the hump.

I think Gurley is a great player, just not for a 1st. Fleece some other team like the above teams did to acquire one. Fisher has still never proven his method of building a team can win a SB and the guy has been around forever.

Not sure what you're wanting then. You said you want those hogs and freakish pass rushers that are hard to come by on both sides of the ball. I gave you 6 names showing the Rams have done just that, with only one not panning out. If you want to be critical, you can go back one more year with Adam Carriker and that's 2 that didn't pan out.

Now you want the QB, which again the Rams did in 2010, but obviously the dude got injured. And they weren't in position to draft another "franchise" QB anyway since then.

And actually the Steelers were a pretty good team before Big Ben. And more so, the 2005 and 2008 Steelers team won mostly because of their defense. Right now, Ben is in the prime of his career and yet the team isn't doing so well . Why? B/c the defense has tanked since 2008. And the shitchickens also have a top defense, but these are different topics entirely.

Besides, this is the 1st RB the Rams have taken since SJack over a decade ago and the first in the top 10 since Jerome Bettis. Don't see why it's such a problem getting the potential best player in a good year for RBs, after taking so many linemen and defensive players

This guy gets it.

vB9B5.gif

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. Absolutely.

I'll even go against my own boys. As much as I loved Tavon Austin, I would have never taken him early. You can go back to that draft class and I said on here Bailey was who I liked more. Unless its Randy Moss, then no. ODB is arguably one of those, but even then teams with the AJ Greens and Julio Jones arent winning SBs either. Calvin Johnson? Nope.

I dont think GB has spent a first on any WR in recent memory.
Okay then we are on the same page lol.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, the "once in a generation" title is about the biggest load of hyperbole I have read. I would take Le'Veon Bell 100/100 times over Todd Gurley and I doubt he ever puts up a stat line like Bell did. And he was a 2nd rounder.

Is Adrian Peterson a "once in a generation" type of player? No, because that means Ladanian Tomlinson or Marshall Faulk never played in the NFL. The use of that label is just plain stupid in the media to add buzz to a story. Very good, yea....but goddamn do I hate that label. The kid already has ridiculous expectations to live up to, people on this forum are already saying things like the "next AP"....yea that's realistic.........
Well I think this is called hindsight bias lol one, you know bell is productive so that's easy to say. Two, if that draft was done over, bell would go first round

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Also, Faulk is in a different generation than Peterson. Probably. Tomlinson too. But I get what your me saying

PARAM

Hall of Fame

The Rams weren't last year. Will they be of that caliber this year? Or 2016? The difference between the NFL GMs/Coaches and your average NFL fans is for the former, it's about the future going forward. With the latter it's about right now.......or last year.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Did any of the last three superbowl winners even have a 1st round QB?