Les Snead on nfl network

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
when asked about taking gurley while the offensive line was depleted, les replied along the lines of:
"Well we did our research and the average starting left tackle is taken in the top two rounds while the average starting right tackle or guard is taking around round 3 or four. So we knew we could get a once in a lifetime player like gurley while still getting our lineman later."

Interesting.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
No doubt about it .. we ARE going to go thru some growing pains early on ... but I truly believe that once the dust settles, this team is going to be NASTY to play! I think they did the right thing by going in on their identity and philosophy. Worst thing you can do is try and do something that 1) you aren't good at and 2) something you don't believe in.

iced

when asked about taking gurley while the offensive line was depleted, les replied along the lines of:
"Well we did our research and the average starting left tackle is taken in the top two rounds while the average starting right tackle or guard is taking around round 3 or four. So we knew we could get a once in a lifetime player like gurley while still getting our lineman later."

Interesting.

giphy.gif

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No doubt about it .. we ARE going to go thru some growing pains early on ... but I truly believe that once the dust settles, this team is going to be NASTY to play! I think they did the right thing by going in on their identity and philosophy. Worst thing you can do is try and do something that 1) you aren't good at and 2) something you don't believe in.
This is ram_fan2011. I dunno how but my account was changed lol fixed. But anyway,

I have full faith in Snead in fisher and I like the maulers we've drafted. Also when you think about it, most tackles and guards aren't drafted in rounds 1-2

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
This is ram_fan2011. I dunno how but my account was changed lol fixed. But anyway,

I have full faith in Snead in fisher and I like the maulers we've drafted. Also when you think about it, most tackles and guards aren't drafted in rounds 1-2
Nope ... usually LT's or OFF THE CHARTS C or G. Otherwise, it's 2nd Rd and on.The guys we got might have been "overdrafted" by what the pundits think, but they truly fit the mold and style we want to play. They are all smart, durable and experienced. Those things all matter more that what some "draft guru" thinks.We will know soon enough if they hit or not, but I do like the approach.

WvuIN02

Starter
Sorry but I dont buy Sneads line of thinking.

The teams that WIN....and Im talking about important things like SBs, playoff wins year in and out......consistently do not draft running backs in round 1, pretty much ever. Round 2? Sure. Seattle let Buffalo waste a 1st on Lynch and then got him for a 4th and 5th. Le'Veon Bell, Eddie Lacy etc? Not round 1 picks. I cant see Gurley ever putting up more yards from scrimmage than Bell did last year....especially when you factor in 2nd round vs top 10 pick.

Do I love Todd Gurley as a RB? Yes. It's more of the fact that teams who are winning...a lot....are taking linemen, pass rushers, franchise QBs in round 1....not rbs.

iced

The teams that WIN....and Im talking about important things like SBs, playoff wins year in and out......consistently do not draft running backs in round 1, pretty much ever. Round 2? Sure. Seattle let Buffalo waste a 1st on Lynch and then got him for a 4th and 5th. Le'Veon Bell, Eddie Lacy etc? Not round 1 picks. I cant see Gurley ever putting up more yards from scrimmage than Bell did last year....especially when you factor in 2nd round vs top 10 pick.

Do I love Todd Gurley as a RB? Yes. It's more of the fact that teams who are winning...a lot....are taking linemen, pass rushers, franchise QBs in round 1....not rbs.

except there's no way in hell the seahawks would have even made the superbowl without lynch

WvuIN02

Starter
except there's no way in hell the seahawks would have even made the superbowl without lynch

Im not saying Lynch isnt important to the team, what Im saying is that Seattle didnt spend a 1st on him either. They spent a 4th and 5th on him.......thats it, while they drafted the nucleus of the team to let him excel. It was the arrival of Russel Wilson, not Lynch, that made that team finally win.

Franchise QBs, linemen, and pass rushers win SBs and get you to the playoffs..... not Gurley, or for that matter, Adrian Peterson. Those guys affect every play. Seattle, NE, GB, the Giants, Pittsburgh (not this last year but in recent years) etc who have won a ton of Super Bowls in recent years had those things...not franchise RBs. Who does NE need at rb to win SBs? GB? Pittsburgh? Those teams have a consistent draft strategy for the first round......none of which involve taking running backs....thats all Im saying. Round 2 seems like an ideal spot, find the freakish pass rushers and dominant hogs on both sides of the ball in round 1....there arent many of those guys to go around.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

But most winning teams don't spend high picks on receivers right? Isn't it the same? Because a lot of people love receiver production but say that a running back with similar production isn't worth first round picks

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
find the freakish pass rushers and dominant hogs on both sides of the ball in round 1....there arent many of those guys to go around.

The Rams have been doing that since 2008. Chris Long, Jason Smith, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers, Greg Robinson, Aaron Donald. Obviously only one didn't work out.

They have the lines now. It's about time they put in a potential stud at a skill position now.

WvuIN02

Starter
But most winning teams don't spend high picks on receivers right? Isn't it the same?

Yes. Absolutely.

I'll even go against my own boys. As much as I loved Tavon Austin, I would have never taken him early. You can go back to that draft class and I said on here Bailey was who I liked more. Unless its Randy Moss, then no. ODB is arguably one of those, but even then teams with the AJ Greens and Julio Jones arent winning SBs either. Calvin Johnson? Nope.

I dont think GB has spent a first on any WR in recent memory.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I wouldn't exactly say drafting one RB in the first round once every ten years as consistently

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Im not saying Lynch isnt important to the team, what Im saying is that Seattle didnt spend a 1st on him either. They spent a 4th and 5th on him.......thats it, while they drafted the nucleus of the team to let him excel. It was the arrival of Russel Wilson, not Lynch, that made that team finally win.

Lynch was a first round pick and was traded for a 4 and a 5 - so that's a lot of draft picks invested in Lynch

We have our bell cow now with a 1st pick in a weak draft

And Wilson was a mid round pick - and you say below that Championship teams draft Franchise QB's in the first..... Brady was a low draft pick ....

Franchise QBs, linemen, and pass rushers win SBs and get you to the playoffs..... not Gurley, or for that matter, Adrian Peterson. Those guys affect every play. Seattle, NE, GB, the Giants, Pittsburgh (not this last year but in recent years) etc who have won a ton of Super Bowls in recent years had those things...not franchise RBs. Who does NE need at rb to win SBs? GB? Pittsburgh? Those teams have a consistent draft strategy for the first round......none of which involve taking running backs....thats all Im saying. Round 2 seems like an ideal spot, find the freakish pass rushers and dominant hogs on both sides of the ball in round 1....there arent many of those guys to go around.

dude, we drafted Sam Bradford #1 and that failed - we have Foles and got Mannion with the 3rd - and may I remind we we have a lot of pass rushers and DLinemen

As far as offensive lineman go we just drafted 4 of them.....

Not getting your point

Last edited:

WvuIN02

Starter
The Rams have been doing that since 2008. Chris Long, Jason Smith, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers, Greg Robinson, Aaron Donald. Obviously only one didn't work out.

They have the lines now. It's about time they put in a potential stud at a skill position now.

The only stud you need is a franchise QB, not those at a skill position.

I'll give you a very relevent, yet painful, perfect example of this of two teams roads to SBs which follow identical tracks.

Two teams get fleeced in trades for great running backs....Buffalo and St Louis...for Marshawn Lynch and Jerome Bettis, respectively. Both will likely be HoFers, both improved the teams they went to greatly. Neither was the key for winning a SB. Lynch and Bettis were both on good teams with good defenses and no franchise QB.

Then two young guys show up and win early in their career: Wilson and Big Ben. And it wasnt until they got a QB that either one of those teams got over the hump.

I think Gurley is a great player, just not for a 1st. Fleece some other team like the above teams did to acquire one. Fisher has still never proven his method of building a team can win a SB and the guy has been around forever.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yes. Absolutely.

I'll even go against my own boys. As much as I loved Tavon Austin, I would have never taken him early. You can go back to that draft class and I said on here Bailey was who I liked more. Unless its Randy Moss, then no. ODB is arguably one of those, but even then teams with the AJ Greens and Julio Jones arent winning SBs either. Calvin Johnson? Nope.

I dont think GB has spent a first on any WR in recent memory.

I dont think you can say this team is in the Superbowl and this is how they did it so this is the Right way to do it. Every team is made up differently from players to coaches. That is why the Sabermetrics stuff on PFF is worthless. Do you need a great runningback to make it to the Superbowl? Yes and no. It depends on your offensive philosophy. New England doesnt have one and Seattle does. New Englands offense works well without a feature back and Seattles doesn't work at all without a feature back.

You have to look at it from the point of, 'What is right for Fisher and his coaches and what he is trying to accomplish. His past teams were best when he had a good QB and a great Runningback, with a very good OLine. He is old school and that is how he coaches. Premier RB and Oline are what works for Fisher so he made the right moves for what he was trying to accomplish.

Now if he was trying to switch to New Englands offense and brought in Josh McDaniel to coach it, then NO it wouldn't make sense to take Gurley and draft a bunch of power run oriented Olinemen.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The only stud you need is a franchise QB, not those at a skill position.

I'll give you a very relevent, yet painful, perfect example of this of two teams roads to SBs which follow identical tracks.

Two teams get fleeced in trades for great running backs....Buffalo and St Louis...for Marshawn Lynch and Jerome Bettis, respectively. Both will likely be HoFers, both improved the teams they went to greatly. Neither was the key for winning a SB. Lynch and Bettis were both on good teams with good defenses and no franchise QB.

Then two young guys show up and win early in their career: Wilson and Big Ben. And it wasnt until they got a QB that either one of those teams got over the hump.

I think Gurley is a great player, just not for a 1st. Fleece some other team like the above teams did to acquire one. Fisher has still never proven his method of building a team can win a SB and the guy has been around forever.

someone like Sam Bradford you mean?

WvuIN02

Starter
Not getting your point

My point is: teams winning SBs recently. How many of them have 1st round running backs they spent picks on? Its a luxury pick for a team without the luxury. And yea, the Rams dont draft as well as the teams winning, which is why they have been continually .500 or less every year. My point exactly.

RamzFanz

Damnit

I don't disagree except to say at 10, I'm not taking an o lineman, and all of the "expected to be elite" players were gone except Gurley. Healthy, he goes top 5 for sure so, even with the history of 1st round draft picks, you're stealing at 10. There's not another player in the draft at 10 with that value IMO.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
My point is: teams winning SBs recently. How many of them have 1st round running backs they spent picks on? Its a luxury pick for a team without the luxury. And yea, the Rams dont draft as well as the teams winning, which is why they have been continually .500 or less every year. My point exactly.

I think Elmgrove says it best though - teams have different ways of winning / GSOT is a great example, we won the Super Bowl with that team but it is built totally different than NE's championship team this year. There is no one path

You're gonna love the pick when he becomes the best running back in the NFL

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny

This guy gets it.