Les Snead on Brian Quick: "I was thinking Vincent Jackson."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Re: Les Snead on Brian Quick: "I was thinking Vincent Jackso

Didn't hear him say BQ wasn't his first choice but I could live with the VJ comparison.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

I think the VJax comparison is a fair one. BUT...

Not trying to be a downer here.

VJax in year #2 - 27 receptions for 453 yards
year #3 - 41 receptions for 623 yards

Steady progression, but not going to make a huge difference for the offense in year 2 if Quick progresses at this kind of rate. The thing is,,, I believe it's fair to expect him to progress just like this. Expecting much more is unrealistic if you're asking me.

This is the reason why I want us to spend the money that it's going to take to resign Danny AND a proven NFL FA WR.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Selassie I said:

Steady progression, but not going to make a huge difference for the offense in year 2 if Quick progresses at this kind of rate. The thing is,,, I believe it's fair to expect him to progress just like this. Expecting much more is unrealistic if you're asking me.

This is the reason why I want us to spend the money that it's going to take to resign Danny AND a proven NFL FA WR.

I'm lock step with ya brother!

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler

So was this Fisher pick?

Attachments

• ukrams.jpg
    ukrams.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 173

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

GreeneCounty said:
So was this Fisher pick?
Nope. Les Snead scouted him while he was still in Atlanta.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

GreeneCounty said:
X said:
GreeneCounty said:
So was this Fisher pick?

Such a reach he was. I pray he shows next year.
He will. Some of the greatest receivers in the league started out really slow, and B Quick was behind them (developmentally) by a lot. If he's even 1/10th as dominant as Snead believes he will be, then we're set at WR1 for the next 10 years. The times he flashed last year, he REALLY flashed. And of course there were times where he looked like he had his head up his ass, but Sherman should get him sorted out with one more off-season. I know it's only been one draft, but you have to admire Snead's eye for talent.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler

X said:
GreeneCounty said:
X said:
GreeneCounty said:
So was this Fisher pick?

Such a reach he was. I pray he shows next year.
He will. Some of the greatest receivers in the league started out really slow, and B Quick was behind them (developmentally) by a lot. If he's even 1/10th as dominant as Snead believes he will be, then we're set at WR1 for the next 10 years. The times he flashed last year, he REALLY flashed. And of course there were times where he looked like he had his head up his ass, but Sherman should get him sorted out with one more off-season. I know it's only been one draft, but you have to admire Snead's eye for talent.

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/cfb/p ... ?id=153097

His college numbers did show improvement ever year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Selassie I said:

Not a downer. But we should also keep in mind that the Chargers weren't in dire need of a #1 receiver to step right in. They had Antonio Gates, a pretty decent Keenan McCardell, Parker, and this little guy named Tomlinson. Oh - and one of the top offenses in the league.

So my thought is that BQuick will get a lot more reps than VJ ever dreamed of his first couple of seasons. He will be put on a faster track. For better or worse, BQ will be forced to show us what he's got way faster than VJ. So if we are still comparing BQ to VJ next season, hopefully it is in a good light and my guess is that it will be more of a comparison to the VJ 3-4 years in. BTW - Vincent had 6 TDs his second year. That says Red Zone target to me.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick

RamFan503 said:
Selassie I said:

Not a downer. But we should also keep in mind that the Chargers weren't in dire need of a #1 receiver to step right in. They had Antonio Gates, a pretty decent Keenan McCardell, Parker, and this little guy named Tomlinson. Oh - and one of the top offenses in the league.

So my thought is that BQuick will get a lot more reps than VJ ever dreamed of his first couple of seasons. He will be put on a faster track. For better or worse, BQ will be forced to show us what he's got way faster than VJ. So if we are still comparing BQ to VJ next season, hopefully it is in a good light and my guess is that it will be more of a comparison to the VJ 3-4 years in. BTW - Vincent had 6 TDs his second year. That says Red Zone target to me.

Great post. I heard a podcast of Isaac Bruce on 101espn not to long ago and they were asking him the same thing about being from a small D2 school and he said "It was very hard to adjust his first season"
here is what he did his first year.

21 rec 272 yds. 3 td 1994 LA Rams
Not saying Quick do this but his second year was his breakout year.
119 rec 1781 yds. 13 td 1995 STL Rams

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Kind of intriguing actually. When you look at the two rookies. Givens - almost 700 yds and 3 TDs. BQ with 156 and 2 TDs.

I think in many cases we have been waiting soooo long to see real production out of our receivers that we expect it yesterday. Danny, Givens, and Quick may just turn out to be a ridiculous combination.

I think I'm on board with Paul. Let's get a bookend for Lance and start this baby rolling.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler

RamFan503 said:
Kind of intriguing actually. When you look at the two rookies. Givens - almost 700 yds and 3 TDs. BQ with 156 and 2 TDs.

I think in many cases we have been waiting soooo long to see real production out of our receivers that we expect it yesterday. Danny, Givens, and Quick may just turn out to be a ridiculous combination.

I think I'm on board with Paul. Let's get a bookend for Lance and start this baby rolling.

Bruce went to Memphis I thought?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Quick might be a stud. I believe he could.

But, our 2013 season depends on it. Does the light come on in year 2? Is that too big of a gamble?

I will be shocked if we sit tight. Shocked! Especially with all the unfair criticism of Bradford... I got to believe Snead and Fisher want those doubts behind them.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

CGI_Ram said:
Quick might be a stud. I believe he could.

But, our 2013 season depends on it. Does the light come on in year 2? Is that too big of a gamble?

I will be shocked if we sit tight. Shocked! Especially with all the unfair criticism of Bradford... I got to believe Snead and Fisher want those doubts behind them.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
I think we'll be adding a receiver every draft now, and it doesn't have to be the Matt Millen method of drafting one with our first pick every year either. Nor does it have to be the Devaney method of drafting guys after the second round and hoping they pan out. It can be either or, but it has to be every year. I trust Snead's eye for talent with how he hit HRs with Givens & Richardson. Quick is going to pan out based on that alone, and that's not homerspeak. Kid's a phenomenal athlete and built like a receiving machine. All he needs is an injection of football knowledge. Plugging him into the matrix is one option, but I think we'll have to lean on Sherman and Schotty's tutelage. And that should be enough.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

It's just gonna take more time than any of us would like,,, but I got faith in BQ becoming a Big-Time weapon for us.

Hope I'm wrong and he makes the biggest year 2 jump on record tho.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

GreeneCounty said:
RamFan503 said:

Bruce went to Memphis I thought?

Did I miss something?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm not ready to give up on BQ. He was very obviously not fully caught up mentally to the pro game. It's understandable coming out of a small school. A lot of small school WRs take a year or two to adjust to the NFL. I know of a really intelligent small school WR that did next to nothing as a rookie and ended up breaking out big time as a sophomore.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler

jrry32 said:
I'm not ready to give up on BQ. He was very obviously not fully caught up mentally to the pro game. It's understandable coming out of a small school. A lot of small school WRs take a year or two to adjust to the NFL. I know of a really intelligent small school WR that did next to nothing as a rookie and ended up breaking out big time as a sophomore.

Jerry Rice