Les Snead: No regrets about not taking receiver/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Les Snead: No regrets about not taking receiver
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ead-says-no-regrets-about-not-taking-receiver

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As St. Louis Rams general manager Les Snead peruses the talent in the 2015 NFL draft, he seems pretty sure of at least one thing.

"I don't know if the wide receivers in this year's draft are going to match last year's," Snead said. "I think there will be a '30 for 30' on last year's class of wide receivers."

It's a class that included early picks like Buffalo's Sammy Watkins, Tampa Bay's Mike Evans, Carolina's Kelvin Benjamin and, the biggest star so far, the New York Giants' Odell Beckham Jr. But it also had plenty of depth with later picks who made an instant impact such as Philadelphia's Jordan Matthews and Miami's Jarvis Landry.

No receiver class has ever been more productive as a group than the 2014 wideouts. Beckham, Evans and Benjamin all went over 1,000 receiving yards with Watkins just 18 yards short of joining them. It's the only time in league history that three receivers have surpassed 1,000 yards and only the second time with two to achieve that feat (1986 was the other with Bill Brooks and Ernest Givins).

Taking it further, there were seven rookie receivers to surpass 50 catches on the season. That's happened only once in league history (2008) and the seven who did it in 2014 reached those numbers in just the first 14 weeks of the season.

It's also a class from which the Rams did not select a single wide receiver with any of their 11 draft choices. That despite a receiver group that hadn't seen a receiver reach even the 700-yard mark since Torry Holt did it in 2008 and hasn't had a 1,000-yard receiver since Holt in 2007. They also knew going into that draft that wideout Stedman Bailey was facing a suspension.

Given the benefit of hindsight, though, Snead does not regret electing to forgo the position.

"I'll be honest with you and I think I said it 100 times, this wide receiver class is the best that I've seen in my years," Snead said. "We had determined that whether it was adding strength to the defensive line or starting to help our OL out, we need to get on to those things and never did we think our guys are better than these, it's just we felt these other players at other positions are better for the St. Louis Rams. We invested a good amount in wide receivers and they're all young so we had to figure it out."

In placing that bet, the Rams revealed a little bit of progress but nothing substantial. Free-agent addition Kenny Britt proved to be a solid pickup as he became the first Rams receiver since Holt to eclipse 700 yards receiving, finishing with 748. Before Britt got rolling, Brian Quick flashed promise in the early part of the season, posting 25 catches for 375 yards and three touchdowns until a shoulder injury ended his season after about six and a half games.

As a group, though, the Rams receivers could still use help. They combined for 2,077 yards (31st in the NFL), 157 catches (30th) and nine touchdowns (28th). It is also important to note that the Rams' wideouts worked with musical chairs at quarterback and behind mostly inconsistent offensive line play. Even a top rookie wideout likely wouldn't have made the same impact in St. Louis.

But with Britt scheduled for free agency and Quick facing a long rehabilitation, the Rams' receiver position once again enters the offseason with its share of question marks.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Same old, same old from Wagner! Sam goes down and the wideouts need to be better! Someone needs to be able to effectively deliver the ball to said wideouts! ;)

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
What was Snead supposed to say about it? "Well, I really messed this one up, maybe they should look for a new GM that knows what he's doing." ?

We came out of the first round with a starting LT, and a probowl DT, I'd say we didn't do too bad.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Les Snead said:
"I'll be honest with you and I think I said it 100 times, this wide receiver class is the best that I've seen in my years," Snead said. "We had determined that whether it was adding strength to the defensive line or starting to help our OL out, we need to get on to those things and never did we think our guys are better than these, it's just we felt these other players at other positions are better for the St. Louis Rams. We invested a good amount in wide receivers and they're all young so we had to figure it out."

Kind of a strange thing to say. Way to rally your WR corp Les....

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
fuck you wagoner! I'm so sick of this punk. how the F are you gonna preach numbers and stats of the receivers when we couldn't even get a QB to hit them in stride or hit them with a deep ball. I'm sorry but what I saw was Quick break out, Britt make huge catches when given a chance, Bailey show he's clutch and see Austin improve his hands and give 110% in whatever the coaches asked of him.

side note. if he thinks taking one of those receivers would've improved the 6-10 then he's fucking retarded and should be fired. I don't want to imagine the line this year without GRob and no way the D would've won as many of those games without Donald. give me this punk's job.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
What was Snead supposed to say about it? "Well, I really messed this one up, maybe they should look for a new GM that knows what he's doing." ?

We came out of the first round with a starting LT, and a probowl DT, I'd say we didn't do too bad.
Exactly what I immediately thought.

I disagreed before the draft, but come the draft, certain guys were Rams, certain guys weren't. I'm not going to care for the guys who weren't and aren't any more than I'd care about any other opposing player. I'm happy with what we got. I would like to see more out of Joyner though.