Les Snead knows what to look for in college picks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[5]2166217101001[/5]

ST. LOUIS (KSDK) - College players from around the country will try to impress NFL scouts at next week's combine.

The St. Louis Rams traded for extra picks last season and are looking for more impact players.

How a player runs, how high they jump, how much weight they can lift; there are a ton of questions to answer next week, but before Rams General Manager Les Snead even walks through the door, he's done most of his research.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/363163/6/Rams-manager-knows-what-to-look-for-in-college-picks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/363163 ... lege-picks</a>

nighttrain

Legend
i think you have to go all the way back to the Carroll Rosenbloom days to find a Ram GM with this ability to project college talent to the NFL. bEEN A LONG WAIT
train

nittany ram

Rookie
Still a ways off before we can say that Snead is a good GM but I have yet to see or hear anything about him or from him that I didn't like.

I love the idea of reviewing college game films of NFL greats to compare with today's college prospects. I mean, maybe most GM's do that. Who knows? And it seems like a no-brainer thing to do but I don't recall hearing that GM's did that before today.

nighttrain

Legend
nittany ram said:
Still a ways off before we can say that Snead is a good GM but I have yet to see or hear anything about him or from him that I didn't like.

I love the idea of reviewing college game films of NFL greats to compare with today's college prospects. I mean, maybe most GM's do that. Who knows? And it seems like a no-brainer thing to do but I don't recall hearing that GM's did that before today.

Have to disagree, he's already light years better than what we've had for the last 10 years, hell maybe since Carroll died. Is he great, that's the only question at this point
train

nittany ram

Rookie
nighttrain said:
nittany ram said:

Have to disagree, he's already light years better than what we've had for the last 10 years, hell maybe since Carroll died. Is he great, that's the only question at this point
train

That may be true. I suspect that he is good to great GM. That's based on his first draft/FA period and what I've read and heard thus far. If the Rams are simply reloading instead of rebuilding a few years from now then I guess we'll know for sure.

Up to this point he's done admirably but he was kinda dealt a great hand too.

#2 pick in draft, already had franchise QB so that allowed him to make blockbuster trade, core of mostly young talent to build around already in place - Bradford, Long, Quinn, Saffold, Jackson, Kendricks, Amendola ...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Snead is the real deal but only time will tell.

nighttrain

Legend
nittany ram said:
nighttrain said:
nittany ram said:

train

That may be true. I suspect that he is good to great GM. That's based on his first draft/FA period and what I've read and heard thus far. If the Rams are simply reloading instead of rebuilding a few years from now then I guess we'll know for sure.

#2 pick in draft, already had franchise QB so that allowed him to make blockbuster trade, core of mostly young talent to build around already in place - Bradford, Long, Quinn, Saffold, Jackson, Kendricks, Amendola ...

what you said about currrent players is correct, but he still got Brockers, Jenkins, Johnson, Givens, the Rok, and Quick in this last draft, my opinion, the ones that arnt already starting have an excellent chance. Also, lets not forget the rookie Kickers.
And we also may have gotten our RB for the next 5-6 years in Richardson, Pead and Gannaway
That sir, is one hell of a draft... Best Draft that i can remember in a long long time, maybe ever depending on how Quick and the Roc turn out.

train

nittany ram

Rookie
nighttrain said:
nittany ram said:
nighttrain said:
nittany ram said:

train

what you said about currrent players is correct, but he still got Brockers, Jenkins, Johnson, Givens, the Rok, and Quick in this last draft, my opinion, the ones that arnt already starting have an excellent chance. Also, lets not forget the rookie Kickers.
And we also may have gotten our RB for the next 5-6 years in Richardson, Pead and Gannaway
That sir, is one hell of a draft... Best Draft that i can remember in a long long time, maybe ever depending on how Quick and the Roc turn out.

train

Well yeah, like I said that draft is one of the reasons I suspect Snead is a great GM. He nailed it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
nittany ram said:

I particularly like how he uses the eyeball test.

"Reminds me of Patrick Peterson." That's SO much better than relying on measureables or combine results.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:

"Reminds me of Patrick Peterson." That's SO much better than relying on measureables or combine results.

Me too.

I think to be successful as a talent evaluator; you need to consume as much video on the players as absolutely possible. Every snap. Snead obviously is not the only one doing that.

Which brings up a question about scouting; I assume they scout regionally. But at what point do they break off and focus position by position?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CGI_Ram said:
X said:

Me too.

I think to be successful as a talent evaluator; you need to consume as much video on the players as absolutely possible. Every snap. Snead obviously is not the only one doing that.

Which brings up a question about scouting; I assume they scout regionally. But at what point do they break off and focus position by position?
I think that it's an ongoing process, but once they determine their plan in free agency, and team needs, they go more into depth by position. The seniors were probably already evaluated somewhat, and then after declaring they spend time on the underclassmen. Now until draft is the time that they are really looking into kids that they have questions about, like thorough background checks. I bet Snead has watched every play of every safety that he deems are worthy of being starters.