Les Snead explains why they Traded Quinn and Tree

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...ades-les-snead/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Rams Wire

Any time a new defensive coordinator is hired, he typically makes a number of changes. It could be as drastic as going from a 4-3 to a 3-4 front, or simply deploying more man or zone principles in coverage.

With Wade Phillips, it involved an entirely new philosophy and scheme. He loves aggressive cornerbacks who can match up one-on-one in man coverage, run-stuffing inside linebackers and dynamic edge rushers on the outside.

2018 NFL Draft: Rams' official list of picks after blockbuster trades

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Where the hell are we going to get the dynamic edge rushers. That's the thing I'm most worried about. Were going to waste our ridiculous secondary if we can't put pressure on the QB. As of right now, Arron Donald is going to be triple teamed.

Psycho_X

Legend
Where the hell are we going to get the dynamic edge rushers. That's the thing I'm most worried about. Were going to waste our ridiculous secondary if we can't put pressure on the QB. As of right now, Arron Donald is going to be triple teamed.

Yeah that's the biggest problem they have to solve currently. Finding an ILB'er that can come in for one or two downs isn't too hard so not worried about that. But edge rusher is not a small problem to solve. While Quinn was out of place as an OLB'er in a 3-4 he still at least provided backside pressure. I'm going to assume that if any edge rusher they deem 1st round material gets anywhere close to them at #23 that they will pounce at trading up for him. I am assuming Barwin will be back for one more year who is at least average at this point and can be rotational depth with Ebukam.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Where the hell are we going to get the dynamic edge rushers.
Samson, Longacre, and this guy

LorenzoCarter.jpg

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/lorenzo-carter?id=2560150
Before Georgia's Liberty Bowl matchup against TCU in December 2016, head coach Kirby Smart challenged Carter and others to step up their games. The long, lean rush linebacker with excellent straight-line speed responded with seven tackles and two forced fumbles in the win, showing the playmaking ability scouts expected to see. Carter had been productive in his junior season (44 tackles, five sacks, 13 pressures in 13 games, with nine starts), but much more had been expected of him since arriving between the hedges. He came through with a second-team All-SEC senior campaign, starting 10 of 15 games played, making 61 tackles, 7.5 for loss, 4.5 sacks, and a team-high three forced fumbles while often playing off the line of scrimmage.

Flint

Pro Bowler
The way I heard it explained was that while the individuals we get might not be as good as Quinn or Ogletree, they fit what Phillips wants to do better, making the defense better. I forget who it was but they were saying that Quinn is never going to be an outside LB no matter how hard he tries and a less talented, cheaper guy might actually improve the whole unit.

dang

Legend
I threw this in another post - would like to see some feedback in this post...

We need to strongly consider trading back. The following 2 trades will give us valuable R2/R3 picks for our middle defense:
Trade 1: R1.23 for R2.37/R3.72
Trade 2: R2.37 for R2.52/R3.88
Keep: R3.87

R2.52 - Tim Settle - NT - VT
R3.72 - Duke Ejiofor - OLB - WF
R3.87 - Lorenzo Carter - OLB - GA
R3.88 - Micah Kiser - ILB - UVA

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...ades-les-snead/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Rams Wire

Any time a new defensive coordinator is hired, he typically makes a number of changes. It could be as drastic as going from a 4-3 to a 3-4 front, or simply deploying more man or zone principles in coverage.

With Wade Phillips, it involved an entirely new philosophy and scheme. He loves aggressive cornerbacks who can match up one-on-one in man coverage, run-stuffing inside linebackers and dynamic edge rushers on the outside.

2018 NFL Draft: Rams' official list of picks after blockbuster trades
Really nice to see that " Full Official " List of the Rams picks!(y):D

1st Rnd. #23
3rd Rnd. #87
4th Rnd. #111
4th Rnd. #135
6th Rnd. #176
6th Rnd. #183
6th Rnd. #194
6th Rnd. #195
6th Rnd. #198

Although I wish Snead could figure out a way to pick-up a 2nd and a 5th rounder to add to this list of picks!:D

dang

Legend
Forgot to add - using the 5 6th round picks as needed to adjust up on any of these players.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
They haven't been able to stop Donald yet bye Double-teaming and Triple-teaming him and then there's Brockers the Beast! Add to that Phillips was paying a lot of attention to LBers at the Combine, so let's see what happens in the Draft! Everything is going to be just fine!(y);):D

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Yeah drafting a outside linebacker that can rush the passer is ... Well.... Tough. Like LT it's one of the tougher positions to draft on defense. So many pass rushers end up flopping because the talant i college just itsnt that good.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I threw this in another post - would like to see some feedback in this post...

We need to strongly consider trading back. The following 2 trades will give us valuable R2/R3 picks for our middle defense:
Trade 1: R1.23 for R2.37/R3.72
Trade 2: R2.37 for R2.52/R3.88
Keep: R3.87

R2.52 - Tim Settle - NT - VT
R3.72 - Duke Ejiofor - OLB - WF
R3.87 - Lorenzo Carter - OLB - GA
R3.88 - Micah Kiser - ILB - UVA
I think Baltimore owns the 2-52 and Carolina owns the 3-88 pick, so even thought he trade would work out according to the chart, I don't think it can be pulled off that way. Baltimore has the 3-83 pick, so if we added one of our many 6th round picks, it could be done. As long as those teams are willing.

The thing about trading back so far from 1-23 all the way to 2-37, and then back again, is that you don't know who on your draft board will be available. It would be easy to trade down and see Settle taken before we would make our first pick. That would ruin everything.

Psycho_X

Legend
Honestly, while Quinn was great at getting around the edge, with Donald it might be better to just constantly have someone who can set the edge and develop the pocket. QBs and RBs avoid Donald simply because they can escape from the pocket. Being able to more efficiently create a pocket might actually increase the disruption and sacks AD will create which is scary. Set the secondary up as a smothering cover backfield and a front 7 that can create a tight pocket and let AD do his thing up the middle. Recipe for fun.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Love Wade and Snead, but wth is this statement supposed to mean?

"Our d coordinator loves elite corners that can play man, stud middle linebackers and a great edge rusher on the outside, you know, as opposed to those d coordinators that prefer crappy players at those spots."

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Ah yes, a "dynamic" edge rusher who never recorded more than 5 sacks in a season in college and had a grand total of 14 sacks during his four year career.
Because college production always equates to pro production? Correct?

I get it....no real stats that scream playmaker....only....wait for it...measureables.

I'll take it....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because college production always equates to pro production? Correct?

I get it....no real stats that scream playmaker....only....wait for it...measureables.

I'll take it....
Brian Quick like measurable.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Brian Quick like measurable.
Not quite.....
Quick's measureables didn't catch my eye...it was the comments about his workout...and when I saw him play....natural athlete. I did like his H/W/S numbers...but they didn't jump off the charts....Carter jumps out and off charts. I'd talk to him about his production...then decide...maybe it was scheme? How could Jarvis Jones, a player I couldn't stand after the combine, have so much production??? And Carter can't???
No, it's the 40 time that matters.
I mean...coming off the edge...at a 4.7....didn't help anyone....It's a new league.

Keep drafting exceptions....and you'll have a roster full of exceptions....