Legatron

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
shit happens, and it happened today - we need to score more touchdowns to win games...

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Ramhusker said:
I would of given the guy the chance in that situation too. You had 4th and about 10 after the sack and you know the kid has the leg. Fisher probably didn't want to not give him a try after missing the other two. Confidence is a funny thing with kickers. Let's hope he doesn't get the shanks from today. I think the wind did him in today. A veteran kicker would of adjusted after missing the first one but this kid is just booming them straight right now. And not many kickers would of even got the opportunity to miss that one because of the distance. GZ will break the NFL record, probably this year. And he is going to have to make long kicks until the offense can figure out how to punch into the endzone.

Since GZ missed that kick, Dallas missed a 50 yarder and SF just missed a 43 yarder. The kid will be just fine I think.

I think the wind did him in today. A veteran kicker would of adjusted after missing the first one but this kid is just booming them straight right now.

Exactly correct, "Z" missed all 3 EXACTLY the same way. All 3 kicks were already tight to the left side and hooked towards that post. Had he adjusted and aimed more towards the right post, he'd have made them all!! I was amazed that he didn't at least adjust for the last kick. :amped: :bummed:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
shaunpinney said:
shit happens, and it happened today - we need to score more touchdowns to win games...
Yeah we drafted Quick to be our jump ball in the endzone ,redzone, TD catcher.
Depending on a rookie kicker was fun but sooner or later he was due to go cold, hopefully it doesn'textend to next week.
I was worried all week about what the weather might do to him.

Gotta suck it up,JMO though the Rams /Bradford really screwed the kid by taking that last sack,never should have happened

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I know GZ missed three kicks, one of which he should have hit.

But am I the only one still amazed that the 66 yarder he tried would have been good had it been straighter? Hell he might have hit from 70. Wait till we're in the dome, we'll see some records breaking.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
brokeu91 said:
I know GZ missed three kicks, one of which he should have hit.

But am I the only one still amazed that the 66 yarder he tried would have been good had it been straighter? Hell he might have hit from 70. Wait till we're in the dome, we'll see some records breaking.
He's going to shatter that record, but it's going to be outside when he does it. He gets the ball up so high, and so fast, that any kind of wind (sans straight-on wind) is just going to carry it an extra few yards. Other kickers have to drive the ball, but the ones I saw from him yesterday were almost like punts. That last one just kept going and going and going...

Too bad he didn't 'aim' that one a little bit more to the right. It certainly had the juice.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Adding that extra ounce of power to hit a ball that distance, must negate some aiming ability, and with a wind it becomes even more of a dark art - I've not seen the game highlights yet, X, you mentioned he gets the ball high, he may be hitting a different air current to what's on the ground - shows the respect and trust coach Fisher has in this young guy tho - if only the O team could have got him 10 yards closer, he'd have required less the ratio of power to accuracy could have been changed. Just my opinion.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I've just watched the missed kick attempts (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... s-Dolphins) and looked at the wind factor - and I really think he was unlucky to have missed (at least 2 of) those kicks.

The 52 yarder - he was dealing with a serious crosswind (look at the flags on the posts (around 0.08s) as he's just kicked it, the flags almost go horizontal, and then look at the amount he missed by it looks to be a yard wide left?) that was just unlucky, a slight adjustment (or even a drop in the wind would have seen that as a 3-pointer.

Now look at the 37 yarder - he had corrected his aim, but again - look at the flags just as the snap is taken (around 0:20s) - it flips direction - he had no hope with that one - not even Legatron can predict nature. (I see this happening weekly with our kickers in Wales on the rugby field)

and the 66 yarder - apart from being a very long distance to kick accurately, the wind is blowing from his left to right, does he think he's going to hit another gust as the ball gets higher (like his previous 2 kicks?) does he pull harder left than he normally would because he thinks that? i don't know - but I do know he'll bounce back from this, tear some more records to shreds.

Also take a look at Sams face at around 1:28 - it's pure shock and amazement as the team realize that Greg is human and fallable - these 3 kicks may work in our favour - long term - maybe we won't depend on GZ from 60 yards out, maybe we'll push for those TD's and leave him PAT's instead ;)

Again - just my opinion

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Personally think Fish screwed the pooch here. Letting the clock run down when you should have at least tried to set GZ up with something a little closer was a bad idea. You know the Fins are looking sideline, so have Kendricks or Jackson run a little 10 yard curl route down the middle of the field and get down and spike the ball.

I dunno, not down on the squad (maybe Quinn O./Kellen Heard) or the Fish or none of that, I just would have preferred to see him approach it a little differently.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
shaunpinney said:
Adding that extra ounce of power to hit a ball that distance, must negate some aiming ability, and with a wind it becomes even more of a dark art - I've not seen the game highlights yet, X, you mentioned he gets the ball high, he may be hitting a different air current to what's on the ground - shows the respect and trust coach Fisher has in this young guy tho - if only the O team could have got him 10 yards closer, he'd have required less the ratio of power to accuracy could have been changed. Just my opinion.
There was a kick he made in Chicago, where the wind was blowing right to left. He kicked that one at the right post and it curled just inside the left. The ball looked like cue shot with extra English on it.

Yeah. You can't do much with gusting winds.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Warner4Prez said:
Personally think Fish screwed the pooch here. Letting the clock run down when you should have at least tried to set GZ up with something a little closer was a bad idea. You know the Fins are looking sideline, so have Kendricks or Jackson run a little 10 yard curl route down the middle of the field and get down and spike the ball.

I dunno, not down on the squad (maybe Quinn O./Kellen Heard) or the Fish or none of that, I just would have preferred to see him approach it a little differently.

Yeah same here, but apparently it was 4th down so it was either that or hail mary.

Also, the way DeMarco Farr and others here made it sound like he just barely missed it. I finally watched the 66 yarder, and it was way off. Not hating on anyone, especially GZ but I rather it miss literally wide than a narrow miss. That would've been harder to stomach.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
I watched this game with friend of mine who is a Dolphins fan, and after we went up 6-0 I was saying a few things about our kicker, where he came from, his 50+ kicks, etc. I also told him that Fisher would let him kick a 65 yard FG but only in certain situations (end of the quarter). Fisher had said that during last weeks "Jeff Fisher Show" and I could not believe that it actually happened at the end of this game, and he had the distance for it! Did anyone else get extremely worried when we converted the 2 pt conversion? I really wanted to see Bradford have a chance to drive us down the field for the go-ahead TD.