Left Tackle Solution?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Some thoughts here on Andrew Donnal.....the over 6-6 316 pound Donnal does not have quick feet that one usually desires in your LT. However AD places himself in good positions when he was inserted in the LT post in the first quarter a few back when Saffold broke his hand. His technical skill displayed @ LT was very sound. While I would not proclaim AD as a future LT, his overall performance that afternoon was better than any game played by Greg Robinson this season. Since many members here still think that GRob can play LT in the NFL then using the same GRob thought progression AD might be considered too @ LT.

Bottom line here AD does not have anything close the physical talent of a GRob but what little AD does have is effectively utilized. AD was paid in peanut shells $650 K while GRob was paid close to $ 7 million:mad:. If your not going to wright off GRob (like I have) you should not write off AD either if you are being fare & untainted in pureness of thought.

AD has demonstrated & shown he can play four OL posts. AD may end up being a legit starting RT in the NFL going into his 3rd season in 2017. AD is under contract till the end of the 2018 season. I suspect that both Havenstein & AD will both be involved in 2017 competition @ the RT post. It will be interesting to see if Rob Havenstein can return to his 2015 season form. As far as Isaiah Battle future since he is not under contract after next week remains an unknown. One would have thought that with the early season injury & dismal performance by Havenstein @ RT, plus the utilization of AD as starter @ RG would have brought up Isaiah Battle from the practice squad???:whistle: It makes me think that IB progression in his 2nd yr has gone south with the rest of the OL cadre.:sadwalk:

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some thoughts here on Andrew Donnal.....the over 6-6 316 pound Donnal does not have quick feet that one usually desires in your LT. However AD places himself in good positions when he was inserted in the LT post in the first quarter a few back when Saffold broke his hand. His technical skill displayed @ LT was very sound. While I would not proclaim AD as a future LT his performance that afternoon overall was better than any game played by Greg Robinson this season. Since many members here still think that GRob can play LT in the NFL then using the same GRob thought progression AD might be considered too @ LT.

Bottom line here AD does not have anything close the physical talent of a GRob but what little AD does have is effectively utilized. AD was paid in peanut shells $650 K while GRob was paid close to $ 7 million:mad:. If your not going to wright off GRob (like I have) you should not write off AD either if you are being fare.

AD has demonstrated & shown he can play four OL posts. AD may end up being a legit starting RT in the NFL going into his 3rd season in 2017. AD is under contract till the end of the 2018 season. I suspect that both Havenstein & AD will both be involved in 2017 competition @ the RT post. It will be interesting to see if Rob Havenstein can return to his 2015 season form. As far as Isaiah Battle future since he is not under contract after next week remains an unknown. One would have thought that with the early season injury & dismal performance by Havenstein @ RT, plus the utilization of AD as starter @ RG would have brought up Isaiah Battle from the practice squad???:whistle: It makes me think that IB progression in his 2nd yr has gone south with the rest of the OL cadre.:sadwalk:

I doubt Havenstein will be competing. He was our best OL this year. Somebody made an incredible point on another board. Havenstein limped off the field in the Saints game. Since that time, Havenstein has looked god awful. That person then posted gifs from the Atlanta game and the Seattle game. Those gifs made it clear that Havenstein wasn't putting weight on his right leg. Essentially, he was trying to block with one leg.

Havenstein shouldn't have been playing the last few weeks. IIRC, he's given up 4 or 5 of the 9 sacks he's allowed this year since the Saints game. When you see those gifs, it's clear that it's not a lack of talent. I'll go find them and post them. This is from a poster named Hacksaw on another Rams board:
file.php

file.php

He's not putting pressure on his right leg when he's setting. Which is why he has been a total turnstile in pass protection. And watch him when he runs, he's clearly hobbling.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I doubt Havenstein will be competing. He was our best OL this year. Somebody made an incredible point on another board. Havenstein limped off the field in the Saints game. Since that time, Havenstein has looked god awful. That person then posted gifs from the Atlanta game and the Seattle game. Those gifs made it clear that Havenstein wasn't putting weight on his right leg. Essentially, he was trying to block with one leg.

Havenstein shouldn't have been playing the last few weeks. IIRC, he's given up 4 or 5 of the 9 sacks he's allowed this year since the Saints game. When you see those gifs, it's clear that it's not a lack of talent. I'll go find them and post them. This is from a poster named Hacksaw on another Rams board:
file.php

file.php

He's not putting pressure on his right leg when he's setting. Which is why he has been a total turnstile in pass protection. And watch him when he runs, he's clearly hobbling.

I posted early this month that my position on Rob Havenstein in hindsight was to have placed him on the IR when the season began. I also stated that Rob was consistently our poorest playing OL'er. I have no explanation as to why Boudreau & the Rams could not see this.:giveup:

If you have a veteran OT Rodger Saffold & a 2nd yr OT Andrew Donnal along with rookie OT Pace Murphy available to play RT then what was the reason Havenstein remained in the lineup & dished up ..... pressure, hits & sacks on our QB over & over again :thinking:?

As far as Rob Havenstein's future here .....he should be a Ram OL'er in 2017. Rams can not afford to write Rob off after this 2016 rotten egg.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Also former Ram great Jackie Slater stated in an interview that he could fix Robinson. Now I'm not sure if Slater would want to be Assistant Offensive Line Coach, but if he does, hire him and fix GROB. I'm not sure because IMHO from the neck up GROB is worth a dime, but I would like to see what the new coaching staff could do with him before we give up on the kid.
I like and Trust Jackie Slater, I would love to see what he could do for GRob!! Slater was one of the Best OT/OG's the Rams ever had, If not THE Best!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like and Trust Jackie Slater, I would love to see what he could do for GRob!! Slater was one of the Best OT/OG's the Rams ever had, If not THE Best!
Good Morning Dave51....I was thinking (bad ideal I know) Jackie Slater could just say its a total waste of his time too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Best RT in team history, Orlando Pace was the best LT.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I need to take some time and focus on Andrew Donnal. A lot of very smart posters are disagreeing with my observations from the games. I need to take a closer look. Will get back to y'all with what I see.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I haven't seen that this year. Frankly, I'd rather play Robinson than Saffold at LT. Both are going to be liabilities. At least we save money by not having Saffold on the roster.

I respect you, Den. But I really disagree here. Saffold has been bad this year. And his track record at LT isn't good.

Yep, Tretter has durability issues. That's the risk. But I'm more willing to take a risk with durability issues on a guy who has the ability to be a net positive to the team than a guy who has spent the 2016 season being a net negative.

There is a guarantee he can play LT at the NFL level. There just isn't a guarantee that he can play it well. Then again, the bar isn't set very high when Greg and Saffold are the competition. Greg improving would make all our lives a lot easier. :LOL:

I think this week Saffold gets his butt kicked !!! He is horrible at RT !! The preseason game against Denver was really bad. Hensaysnthenchangenisngoing from right hand to left hand. I'm not a fan of his, butt I have to trust the new coaching staff on there Eval of Saffold.
-- The Rams offensive line is so young & has upside. I wonder about Rob Hav's health this season. Was he playing all year hurt ?? He was so much better his rookie year.

I think Matt Kahili is a solid option. You look at The Vikings without him this season. He also played at USC & is a local kid !! I think it is a perfect match.
-- Not sure about Saffold or GRob. Saffold is frustrated with GRob & sold him out.
GRob is a smart as a box of rocks. Hard headed & not much in between.
He is like a pet. I also think he gets picked on by Ref's from reputation.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I think Matt Kahili is a solid option. You look at The Vikings without him this season. He also played at USC & is a local kid !! I think it is a perfect match.
GRob is a smart as a box of rocks. Hard headed & not much in between.

Greg Robinson is not a stupid man, and I am sort of getting irked by those that insist he is not intelligent.

You know they measure this stuff. Like how "smart" you are during the combine. It's called the Wonderlic

Let's examine the Wonderlic scores of the Grob to that of Matt Kalil:

Greg Robinson - 22

Matt Kalil - 15

So according to NFL sanctioned testing methods, it is Greg Robinson who is smarter than the guy you profess to be "perfect' fit for us.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Greg Robinson is not a stupid man, and I am sort of getting irked by those that insist he is not intelligent.

You know they measure this stuff. Like how "smart" you are during the combine. It's called the Wonderlic

Greg Robinson - 22

Matt Kalil - 15

So according to NFL sanctioned testing methods, it is Greg Robinson who is smarter than the guy you profess to be "perfect' fit for us.

For some reason it does not click for him . Why does he rub his face all the time when he talks as well ?? Was it from the concusion he had a year back ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I rub my balls all the time does that make me dumb?

If you keep wiping it on your face ,I'd say that is pretty dumb .

So what is Greg Robinsons problem. I still think he has upside. Maybe now I'm sounding real dumb ?

As of right now he is a serious bust & if you look at his draft class it was very deep.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think I need to take some time and focus on Andrew Donnal. A lot of very smart posters are disagreeing with my observations from the games. I need to take a closer look. Will get back to y'all with what I see.

Afternoon jrry32 notice I stress the OT position not the OG position. I do not prefer Andrew Donnal @ ORG as I prefer him @ the OT posts. The only time that AD played LT for any length of time was Week 12 game against the Saints. I would suggest that you look @ that game & tell me what you think as to what I posted earlier today. Last season AD did get in some heavy action @ RT in 2 games.

In 2015 he started @ RT for Havenstein during Week 11 loss to the Ravens but was injured & never returned to active duty. AD does seem to be improving in his technical side of the game but is not a force against the run. AD work @ OG is not on par with his play @ OT.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Greg Robinson - 22

Matt Kalil - 15

My issues with GRob is in this area that you speak of....if you have any saved games from 2015 later half take a look @ the amount of communications taking place between Garrett Reynolds & GRob right up till the ball is put in play. I would also suggest the best play we saw from GRob was during this time he was playing next to Garrett.

I have no proof of what I am about to state but I really do think that Garrett was totally ticked off @ Boudreau & the Ram Org. over how he was moved out of the starting OLG post in OTA's, Training Camp & Pre Season. It was my opinion that Garrett had proved to be a very good starting OLG the later half of the 2015 season performance. But Boudreau removed Garrett from the LG post altogether & made him work exclusively on the right side & as the main reserve to both RG/RT! When Garrett was injured in the 4th 2016 pre season game he was the reserve RT. Garrett had yet to play the OLG post:thinking:

What followed was Garrett being placed on the IR and later given a medical release. Something just did not look right in this departure. But this is a fact.....the best play we have seen @ LG the last two seasons was when Garrett was starting there. The best we have seen GRob was when Garrett was starting next to GRob. Does anyone have a differing opinion on those last two sentences?
:bueller:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

file.php

file.php

He really can struggle a bit against speed rushers as is, but that injury clearly makes it so much worse. Nice catch, he should be back to playing well next season. Now we just need to replace the other 4 to the left of him.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
As I said, I haven't gone through every option, but the guys I trust are saying that there's not much there. The one or two LTs that might be in this Draft are likely gone in the first 15 picks. And we'd be fools to trade all of our draft capital to move up that far.

There might be a project-type player who falls. But it's tough to bet on those guys as rookies. Someone might emerge over the next few months. I saw that a guy named Antonio Garcia from Troy is starting to get hype as a major LT prospect. We shall see. Garrett Bolles is another guy starting to get hype. But he's pretty raw.(insanely athletic, though)
You had me until you said he can't remain healthy ... been a bugboo for this OL for too long

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
My issues with GRob is in this area that you speak of....if you have any saved games from 2015 later half take a look @ the amount of communications taking place between Garrett Reynolds & GRob right up till the ball is put in play. I would also suggest the best play we saw from GRob was during this time he was playing next to Garrett.

I have no proof of what I am about to state but I really do think that Garrett was totally ticked off @ Boudreau & the Ram Org. over how he was moved out of the starting OLG post in OTA's, Training Camp & Pre Season. It was my opinion that Garrett had proved to be a very good starting OLG the later half of the 2015 season performance. But Boudreau removed Garrett from the LG post altogether & made him work exclusively on the right side & as the main reserve to both RG/RT! When Garrett was injured in the 4th 2016 pre season game he was the reserve RT. Garrett had yet to play the OLG post:thinking:

What followed was Garrett being placed on the IR and later given a medical release. Something just did not look right in this departure. But this is a fact.....the best play we have seen @ LG the last two seasons was when Garrett was starting there. The best we have seen GRob was when Garrett was starting next to GRob. Does anyone have a differing opinion on those last two sentences?
:bueller:

I remember in a preseason game that Reynolds was hurt and limped off the field badly. I think the injury was real and the club genuinely thought more of the coaching and the younger guys at the time. If Reynolds is healed up he should be on speed dial. Toss Saffold and give Reynolds a deal for peanuts compared to what Roger was making and watch Reynolds play solid IMO. Bring back Reynolds at LG and move GR to RG IMO. Pair him with Havenstein and maybe you can get some serious push on the right side. Then you have to find a decent LT and a C in the off season. I'm on the Mangold train if he gets cut and gets a healthy check up form the medical team. The line is a mess, but can be solid to good quickly with some quality moves.