LE should probably be on the draft radar soon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
No we can't agree given that Langford is younger than Long.
Just because he's younger doesn't mean he's better or the future of the team.Donald will no doubt be a pro bowler many times over he is the future.And C.long still has plenty of tread left there's not many LDE that I would take over him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Just because he's younger doesn't mean he's better or the future of the team.Donald will no doubt be a pro bowler many times over he is the future.And C.long still has plenty of tread left there's not many LDE that I would take over him.

It doesn't mean he wouldn't have been if Donald were off the board and he played as well as he did last year.

I love Long's leadership and energy, but he could be replaced by a draft day stud just like Langford. And especially if he's not playing up to his sizable contract.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It doesn't mean he wouldn't have been if Donald were off the board and he played as well as he did last year.

I love Long's leadership and energy, but he could be replaced by a draft day stud just like Langford. And especially if he's not playing up to his sizable contract.
I think i have a higher opinion of Long's impact than you do. I enthusiastically advocated drafting Donald last season(feeling that BPA and need fit that pick perfectly). If the Rams use a first rounder on a DLineman next spring i'll be scratching my head and checking the Rams war room for bong residue.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I think i have a higher opinion of Long's impact than you do. I enthusiastically advocated drafting Donald last season(feeling that BPA and need fit that pick perfectly). If the Rams use a first rounder on a DLineman next spring i'll be scratching my head and checking the Rams war room for bong residue.

You do. And for me, it's all a matter of who is on the board. I'd scratch my head if they passed on a good DE in favor of trying to fill a hole at another positon with a lesser player (using my imaginary draft board).

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
If there's an insane DE prospect sitting there as BPA, like Donald was with us, I would probably take him. I've come to realize that if we want the best and most talented team possible, you have to take the best and most talented players possible. You can't take a worse player simply because he fills a need, that's intentionally downgrading your talent. You can always make moves to fill needs, it's much harder to make moves to land great players.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I was happy with the Donald pick but wouldn't have bitched about Zach Martin if they'd have picked him! Still short on quality O linemen, IMO! Long should be good for another 4-5 seasons so no LDE for a couple more drafts for me.

A55VA6

Legend
Like others have said, I think Long still has a good few years left and I think he'll be a factor because he has a high motor and refuses to quit. Obviously, you can never have enough DE's so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams go for a couple in the next few drafts. But yeah, I don't see Chris Long retiring any time soon. haha.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't get me wrong...I think Long has a few more productive years left. I was just saying that eventually in the next draft or 2 you start watching for DEs in the 2nd or 3rd rounds that can be a backup/rotational guy and slide into that starting spot a few years down the road. Maybe Westbrooks is that guy, I personally don't think he is but who knows.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
If Jared Allen is still playing, I don't see why CL91 couldn't replicate his career.

Exactly what I thought when I saw the topic. The guy's effort, technique, strength and quickness combined - he might lose a step or two as he goes over the 30 year mark and injuries start to accumulate with him but he'll make up for it in leadership and veteran savvy. Demarcus Ware and co can still get it done year after year. When he gets to 32/33 if he's still playing (and performing at a high level) then you draft someone high to develop behind him like we did with him behind Leonard Little.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
On defense you can never have too many pass rushers or cover corners. So if that DE is available you take him. Just like if Clowney was available last year it would of been hard to pass on him.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
If Jared Allen is still playing, I don't see why CL91 couldn't replicate his career.

I agree especially with the rotation factor that in theory should extend his career...Nothing says that he has to play every snap when he starts to show a little age...I think a couple of years before they look to find his replacement.. Having said that, nobody from the Ram head shed has contacted me with an offer to join them...Go figure !!!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Considering where the Rams will draft this year I can see it happening. A guy slips and their targets are gone. Grab the value and run.

Gotta keep all options open.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I bet Chris Long would be laughing hard at this thread btw....
There's probably a few threads here and on any Internet NFL team board where the players would be laughing at what was said.

Quite possibly, I was the OP of some of them.