LB Will Herring Signs With Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner

Linebacker Will Herring tweets that he's joining the Rams. He's a 7-year veteran last with New Orleans after four seasons in Seattle.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
:popcorn:
So is this supposed to be impact or depth? I know pickings are slim this time of year, but...oh well, it is what it is.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Another Auburn player. He is decent depth. He is excellent on special teams supposedly so it should fill the gap left by Armstrong perfectly.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams bag another Fish strictly a special teamer so does this really add to LB depth? Sure wish I went to Auburn because I would send a resume to Rams park.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Snead loyalty to his Alma Mater is raising my eyebrows, Herring is an experienced vet none the less

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
If he comes in and plays good special teams without the stupid penalties then its an immediate improvement. This move may not improve the LB depth greatly but, even with all the talk of his upside and athleticism, Armstrong didn't do that either. He'd have had more snaps on defence if the coaches thought he was capable enough even accounting for the fact that our LBs don't sub in and out as often as the DL for example - or at all in Laurenaitis/Laurinatis/JL55's case

Alan

Legend
LB depth chart:
WLB: Ogletree / Bates
MLB: Laurinaitis / Dunbar
SLB: Dunbar / Ray Ray

What depth?

Bates is merely a ST player and not a reliable back up LB. Our starting SLB is our backup at MLB? This is a result of decisions made by Snisher. While this problem involves a large dose of hindsight, the fact that nothing was done during the off season and the draft (think of drafting an OLB instead of Mason) turned out to be a huge strategic mistake. That decision had predictable results IMO. As is the decision to not look for a replacement for McLeod. Many of us saw both of these problems before the draft and that's not using hindsight, that's using foresight. I think the pick of Mason was a huge blunder.

I think that the first three picks in the draft were understandable (even if I preferred Matthews) but the middle of our draft sucked from a strategic standpoint IMO. The players chosen might turn out to be decent but what was the long term straegic thinking on this?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
LB depth chart:
WLB: Ogletree / Bates
MLB: Laurinaitis / Dunbar
SLB: Dunbar / Ray Ray

What depth?

Bates is merely a ST player and not a reliable back up LB. Our starting SLB is our backup at MLB? This is a result of decisions made by Snisher. While this problem involves a large dose of hindsight, the fact that nothing was done during the off season and the draft (think of drafting an OLB instead of Mason) turned out to be a huge strategic mistake. That decision had predictable results IMO. As is the decision to not look for a replacement for McLeod. Many of us saw both of these problems before the draft and that's not using hindsight, that's using foresight. I think the pick of Mason was a huge blunder.

I think that the first three picks in the draft were understandable (even if I preferred Matthews) but the middle of our draft sucked from a strategic standpoint IMO. The players chosen might turn out to be decent but what was the long term straegic thinking on this?

As far as what I would have done goes I'm witcha on LB not getting the attention it "should have" in the draft ,I'm not ready to say Mason was a "blunder" IMO he is potentially an elite back which none of our other backs are,we keep hearing Watts is our breakaway back but he's the slowest one we have,maybe I'm too patient ,a calf injury to Stacy may get Mason a chance this Monday,if it does I hope he seizes it and pleasantly surprises alluvus(y)

Alan

Legend
Thordaddy talking tactical:
As far as what I would have done goes I'm witcha on LB not getting the attention it "should have" in the draft ,I'm not ready to say Mason was a "blunder" IMO he is potentially an elite back
As I said, Mason might turn out to be a good RB but it was a "blunder", strategically speaking, for us to draft him when we did considering our other holes. IMO.

I remain mystified by the thinking on this. Draft a RB who they knew couldn't pass block, knowing from experience that the chances of him becoming proficient this year was highly unlikely? Especially when you know or should know, that we have glaring holes at other positions? At least when they drafted Alexander they were addressing our glaring need for depth at SS.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
As I said, Mason might turn out to be a good RB but it was a "blunder", strategically speaking, for us to draft him when we did considering our other holes. IMO.

I remain mystified by the thinking on this. Draft a RB who they knew couldn't pass block, knowing from experience that the chances of him becoming proficient this year was highly unlikely? Especially when you know or should know, that we have glaring holes at other positions? At least when they drafted Alexander they were addressing our glaring need for depth at SS.
You don't think how often Stacy gets hurt has anything to do with it? Or that Mason is a true breakaway back,OR and this is a common trap many coaches get caught in, that they thought they could coach as in verb the kid and make him a better than anyone we have,OR and IMO this is probably the real story, they never thought a LB on their board was worth the pick they expended at the time. Khalil Mack the best LB in this draft isn't setting the world on fire as of yet so maybe they just didn't see value .
Do you have a LB who is contributing to a team you think we could or should have drafted with the Mason pick ?
Again I agree with you about NEED but if they didn't think need and value were comparable just drafting a LB in order to say we did doesn't make sense either .
I won't judge the Mason pick in total until I see how his career unfolds a lot more..
Then again the Auburn connection as said elsewhere today is looking sort of curious.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm just a lil concerned with the Titan, Saints, & Auburn connection....I mean so many of these guys are borderline sorry, or overpaid...all the cronyism is making me nauseous..feel like I'm in Hollywood

I wish I was all draft-ready still @Thordaddy ..I'd have 3 names for LB's...and IMO Mack wasn't the best OLB in the draft, it was Barr.....

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I'm just a lil concerned with the Titan, Saints, & Auburn connection....I mean so many of these guys are borderline sorry, or overpaid...all the cronyism is making me nauseous..feel like I'm in Hollywood

I wish I was all draft-ready still @Thordaddy ..I'd have 3 names for LB's...and IMO Mack wasn't the best OLB in the draft, it was Barr.....
Yeah there is a pattern ,but it happens all over the league where coaches want to bring in their guys sometimes it works out well sometimes it's a disaster .

But again the Rams ranked players on a board and to drop 10 places to draft for need doesn't make sense, and the jury hasn't even been charged to render a verdict on Mason yet and to judge him as a blunder is premature .
If Stacy can't go Monday maybe we'll get to see some Mason,not that I'm rooting for Stacy to be out ,but if he is I hope Mason lights it up.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But again the Rams ranked players on a board and to drop 10 places to draft for need doesn't make sense, and the jury hasn't even been charged to render a verdict on Mason yet and to judge him as a blunder is premature .
If Stacy can't go Monday maybe we'll get to see some Mason,not that I'm rooting for Stacy to be out ,but if he is I hope Mason lights it up.
Seems to be smart to either drop down a few spots or go up a few for NEED..I have been watching the J Johnson story about Herchel Walker..genius. Follow that model..why get extra D-Linemen? It'd be like grabbing an extra punter...extra wr...and you have plenty....get some extra O-linemen...we need some of those...I liked all the extra DB's....we needed some extra, hell some starting caliber linebackers...we didn't need a RB, esp. not in the 3rd round...QB or OL...but definetly a LB. I wonder what does Trey Mason have against him where he can't beat out that other running back...Tre Watts? I was dancing too much, but maybe there wasn't any holes...I can believe that....given Wells & Joseph are in the middle. Maybe the holes are bigger now...

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Any relation to former Ram great Kim?

Um...no.

12264990-kim-herring.jpg
9836399-large.jpg

And I don't think Kim Herring can really be considered a Ram great. :ROFLMAO: