LB Patrick Willis and DT Justin Smith Retire

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin

Source: the #49ers are bracing themselves for the loss of LB Patrick Willis. Expecting him to retire.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to say I'd be sad to see such a great player retire prematurely....but fuck the 9ers this would be a huge blow to their defense!

V3

Hall of Fame
Is this the shock that Florio was saying we'd be getting from SF today? If so, I'm not that shocked.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Watching Willis wasn't the same after SJax left. I looked forward to the battle between those two.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
49ers bracing for Patrick Willis retirement
4171.jpg

A source tells Yahoo the 49ers are expecting ILB Patrick Willis to retire.

Earlier Monday morning, PFT's Mike Florio teased a bomb coming out of San Francisco. We now know what it is. Willis is only 30 years old, so we're guessing this early retirement has to do with the troublesome toe injury that ended his 2014 season after six games. It would be a sad end to a dominant career that saw Willis get named a first-team All-Pro five times in eight seasons. His retirement would net the 49ers $7.4M in cap space.
Source: ProFootballTalk on NBCSports.com
Mar 9 - 10:14 AM

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Achilles' toe.

Willis was an amazing LB. As much as I hate the 49ers, I never had anything but respect for Patrick Willis.

Assuming Bowman comes back near 100%, they won't be in bad shape with he and Chris Borland manning the middle.

V3

Hall of Fame
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/09/san-fran-surprise-coming-monday/

San Fran surprise coming Monday
Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2015

49ers.jpg
Getty Images

At a time when the 49ers are trying to shoot down rumors regarding a possible trade of quarterback Colin Kaepernick, the 49ers soon will have another significant issue to deal with.

Some very surprising news related to the 49ers is coming, likely later today, regarding a key player on the team who won’t be on the team in 2015. A formal announcement is expected on Tuesday.

That’s all we can say for now. But when it happens, you’ll be shocked — even though you’re now duly braced to be shocked.

Meanwhile, feel free to make a guess in the comments. Winner gets a free one-year subscription to PFT.
Sorry, I thought it would have been posted somewhere by now. Thanks for linking that for those that weren't aware.

RamsFan14

Starter
WOW... Very surprising, wish him the best! He was a great player in his prime, and like @ChrisW said, watching those battles between him and Jackson was a blast!

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Walter Sobchak: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.
The Dude: Yeah, but Walter...
Walter Sobchak: Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish. These fucking amateurs...

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Whiners gonna suck next year if both of these are true, especially if they're losing Gore too...

Big Game

Living The Dream
all i can say is wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! So Willis will retire, Justin Smith may retire. They will have a new coach. And possibly lose Crabtree in Free agency. down goes the 49ers lol

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Willis and Smith gone will help us a lot. Surprised that Willis is retiring, he's still fairly young for a LB and can stay play. Guess that toe is really bad.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Karpnerick rumored to be in trade discussions with bears eagles also. Big day in SF

jjab360

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/09/san-fran-surprise-coming-monday/

San Fran surprise coming Monday

49ers.jpg
Getty Images

At a time when the 49ers are trying to shoot down rumors regarding a possible trade of quarterback Colin Kaepernick, the 49ers soon will have another significant issue to deal with.

Some very surprising news related to the 49ers is coming, likely later today, regarding a key player on the team who won’t be on the team in 2015. A formal announcement is expected on Tuesday.

That’s all we can say for now. But when it happens, you’ll be shocked — even though you’re now duly braced to be shocked.

Meanwhile, feel free to make a guess in the comments. Winner gets a free one-year subscription to PFT.
I swear, Florio has to be the most annoying sports writer of all time lol.

jjab360

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/09/patrick-willis-justin-smith-retiring-from-49ers/

Patrick Willis, Justin Smith retiring from 49ers

49ers1.jpg
Getty Images

The San Francisco 49ers continue to see dramatic changes in a franchise only a year removed from three straight NFC title game appearances.

From coach Jim Harbaugh leaving (mutually or otherwise) to running back Frank Gore signing with the Eagles on Tuesday to the unexpected departure of receiver Michael Crabtree to the possible loss of guard Mike Iupati, the exodus of talented players continue.

The next two dominoes to fall will be linebackerPatrick Willis and defensive lineman Justin Smith.

Willis is the surprise that was referred to earlier today, and it’s a major one. Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com reports Willis is strongly considering retirement. As PFT hears it, it’s a done deal, with the formal announcement coming Tuesday.

Per multiple league sources, Smith also is done — although that’s not a surprise. The 14-year veteran joined the 49ers as a free agent in 2008, and he had been in many respects the cornerstone of the defense.

Willis, a first-round pick in 2008 who turned 30 in January, is under contract through 2016. Smith is under contract through 2015. Their retirements could result in the partial repayment of bonus money they both previously received; whether that issue will be pursued will be up the to 49ers.
Like I said when the news of them trying to trade Kaepernick came out, 49ers are DONE. They had a nice run but they won't be competitors again for a long, long time.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Oh happy days!

Anyone visiting any Niners boards with some good melt downs? I wish I knew some Whiner fans right now.