LB Jarvis Jones visiting rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jones was benched by the end and hes terrible.

The Steelers rotation at linebacker became James Harrison, Bud Dupree, Arthur Moats and Anthony Chickillo as soon as Dupree was back this year. Jones is simply not an NFL player, and the analytics were dead on. He was in the bottom 14th percentile for outside linebackers in that draft, and no player has been successful in the NFL with those kinds of numbers. Too slow to rush, too slow to cover, and would have been benched a lot earlier had Bud Dupree not been injured but the Steelers were that thin at OLB.

Yet, the Steelers want him back.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Not only that but we have next to zero depth at LB.

Don't count out that dude we signed last year coming out of college... he tore his acl or something? The dude that ran into Pharoh Cooper, drawing an illegal hit.... Not because of that, but the dude is a BEAST!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't count out that dude we signed last year coming out of college... he tore his acl or something? The dude that ran into Pharoh Cooper, drawing an illegal hit.... Not because of that, but the dude is a BEAST!
Forrest, I think we all liked what we saw from him when he finally made it on to the field. Hoping he's ready to go in camp.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Forrest, I think we all liked what we saw from him when he finally made it on to the field. Hoping he's ready to go in camp.

Forrest! That's it, thanks! I was thinking "Forsett" but I knew that wasn't it LOL.

Me too man! I'm chalking that up to Rookie freak accidents, hopefully it's not a trend. He could be GREAT. *knocks on wood*

WvuIN02

Starter
Yet, the Steelers want him back.
Then the Steelers would be breaking protocol for how they do business, so Im not buying it. They pick up the options or do deals ahead of FA for guys they have wanted to keep in the past, and the guys they did not do this for all left.

He was a healthy scratch on gameday at the end of the season, but this is the thinnest they have ever been at linebacker so if they got him for nothing I could see it since he knows the system. But theres no way they want him as anything other than this.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then the Steelers would be breaking protocol for how they do business, so Im not buying it. They pick up the options or do deals ahead of FA for guys they have wanted to keep in the past, and the guys they did not do this for all left.

He was a healthy scratch on gameday at the end of the season, but this is the thinnest they have ever been at linebacker so if they got him for nothing I could see it since he knows the system. But theres no way they want him as anything other than this.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Repor...t-with-Cardinals-Steelers-interested-51752699

TexasRam

Legend
Not sure if this was posted but aren't we really low on Linebackers for a 3-4 deployment?

Quinn and Ogletree seem a good fit. Barron would get crushed as a
LB. who is the other Linebacker?

Then who's the other D lineman with Brockers and Donald. Should we chase a stop gap like Dontari Poe?

Seems we are 2 LBers and 1 Dlineman short of fielding a starting 11, with cash to spend.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Not sure if this was posted but aren't we really low on Linebackers for a 3-4 deployment?

Quinn and Ogletree seem a good fit. Barron would get crushed as a
LB. who is the other Linebacker?

Then who's the other D lineman with Brockers and Donald. Should we chase a stop gap like Dontari Poe?

Seems we are 2 LBers and 1 Dlineman short of fielding a starting 11, with cash to spend.

Easley is the other DE. He had a nice year last year which is why he got an original round tender (1st). I expect him to do even better in this D. It will help with him getting more snaps. And while Donald likely wants to stick with the 3Tech, Easley is good at any gap, 3,5,7,9. Which is cool, because Wade's 3-4 uses a 1gap NT, a 3T and a wide DE, usually 5 gap. It's pretty similar to the Texans' 3-4 in that respect. Easley will be used like JJ Watt with less freelancing.

Understanding that with shifts, it's not uncommon at all for a 3T to end up in the A gap (1T) or B gap 3T.

DL_shades_gaps.0.png

I included this easy to read diagram for any who might not be clear on the gaps and DL technique numbering system. Evens are 2 gap. They play heads up on a player. Like, the KC NT in their 3-4 is a 0Tech, 2 gap. He usually lines up directly on the center. In Wade's 3-4, his NT is a 1T. And honestly, that's what we had before. Brockers was a 1T DT, AD was a 3T DT and they shifted between 1-3 for Brockers and AD shifted between 1-3 and occasionally AD would be in the 5T or C gap. Then we had ends that depending on the DL call, would be in 5,7, or 9 depending. Actually sometimes, they'd be a 6T on certain running downs.

Point is that with Wade's D being a penetrating D for the DL, there's very little change in their generic responsibilities from before. It would be a bigger change, actually, to go from Wade's 3-4 to KC's 3-4 because other than OLB Houston, their DL would be totally different from ours.

TexasRam

Legend
Easley is the other DE. He had a nice year last year which is why he got an original round tender (1st). I expect him to do even better in this D. It will help with him getting more snaps. And while Donald likely wants to stick with the 3Tech, Easley is good at any gap, 3,5,7,9. Which is cool, because Wade's 3-4 uses a 1gap NT, a 3T and a wide DE, usually 5 gap. It's pretty similar to the Texans' 3-4 in that respect. Easley will be used like JJ Watt with less freelancing.

Understanding that with shifts, it's not uncommon at all for a 3T to end up in the A gap (1T) or B gap 3T.

DL_shades_gaps.0.png

I included this easy to read diagram for any who might not be clear on the gaps and DL technique numbering system. Evens are 2 gap. They play heads up on a player. Like, the KC NT in their 3-4 is a 0Tech, 2 gap. He usually lines up directly on the center. In Wade's 3-4, his NT is a 1T. And honestly, that's what we had before. Brockers was a 1T DT, AD was a 3T DT and they shifted between 1-3 for Brockers and AD shifted between 1-3 and occasionally AD would be in the 5T or C gap. Then we had ends that depending on the DL call, would be in 5,7, or 9 depending. Actually sometimes, they'd be a 6T on certain running downs.

Point is that with Wade's D being a penetrating D for the DL, there's very little change in their generic responsibilities from before. It would be a bigger change, actually, to go from Wade's 3-4 to KC's 3-4 because other than OLB Houston, their DL would be totally different from ours.

Ok thanks for the info. Forgot about Easley.

But where will our current linebackers be slated? What happens to Barron and why are we not chasing a LB like Hightower or others?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
The starting LB corps looks like:

Quinn, Ogletree, Barron and ?

We need a LOLB. One reason I think Connor Barwin is perfect. He knows the D and has been productive. He shouldn't have gone to Philly. Was a bad fit for him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

DL_shades_gaps.0.png

That's not entirely correct, Mack. Wade's defenses uses a 3-Tech DE on the weak side, a 0-Tech NT shaded towards the Center's strong side shoulder, and a 4-Tech strong side DE (shaded towards the inside shoulder of the RT). He then uses a SOLB who plays either face up or shaded towards the outside shoulder of the TE and a WOLB who plays the 7-Tech or 9-Tech depending on the strength of the formation. It also changes. You'll see his strong side DE sometimes slide into the B-Gap and weak side DE sometimes slide to the LT's inside shoulder.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The starting LB corps looks like:

Quinn, Ogletree, Barron and ?

We need a LOLB. One reason I think Connor Barwin is perfect. He knows the D and has been productive. He shouldn't have gone to Philly. Was a bad fit for him.

More & more i'm thinking it may be :

SOLB ? , SILB - Forrest or ? , WILB Ogletree (Hager), WOLB Quinn
Barron at SS

I believe we should be good inside for the most part, probably a single addition in front of or behind Forrest, ... we do need a starting LOLB and probably two in reserve, especially considering Quinn's health issues these last two seasons. jmo.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
That's not entirely correct, Mack. Wade's defenses uses a 3-Tech DE on the weak side, a 0-Tech NT shaded towards the Center's strong side shoulder, and a 4-Tech strong side DE (shaded towards the inside shoulder of the RT). He then uses a SOLB who plays either face up or shaded towards the outside shoulder of the TE and a WOLB who plays the 7-Tech or 9-Tech depending on the strength of the formation. It also changes. You'll see his strong side DE sometimes slide into the B-Gap and weak side DE sometimes slide to the LT's inside shoulder.

Because it's a 1 gap scheme, I think we're saying the same thing, only different by very small degrees.

Of course, there will be plays when a player will be a 2 gap player, but typically, the DL is 1 gap. A 0T shading the shoulder and a 1T A gap player isn't functionally much different if the NT shading strong side is still primarily responsible for one gap. Same with the strong side DE. If the guy has a 1 gap responsibility that shade essentially makes him a 5T since an even T denotes 2 gap responsibility.

If Wade really expected our LDE to play 4T, then Easley is miscast because he's a penetrating 1gap guy, not a space eating 2 gap guy.

Essentially, i think we're seeing it the same way, but I really don't see Wade using Easley much as a 4T nor Brockers as a 0T. Not a 2 gap 0T like Poe, anyway.

But we'll see. We know he adapts to his personnel.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Y'all freak out too much. Wade knows what he's doing, this guy would be just purely to play the run and sometimes drop into coverage. He won't be playing 100% or even the majority of snaps, he's a role player and a depth player. He's not going to stop us from bringing in a legitimate pass rusher.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jones just isn't very good.

Jones isn't a good overall player, but he can be a good role player. If the Rams sign him, they aren't signing him for his pass rush prowess.

Because it's a 1 gap scheme, I think we're saying the same thing, only different by very small degrees.

Of course, there will be plays when a player will be a 2 gap player, but typically, the DL is 1 gap. A 0T shading the shoulder and a 1T A gap player isn't functionally much different if the NT shading strong side is still primarily responsible for one gap. Same with the strong side DE. If the guy has a 1 gap responsibility that shade essentially makes him a 5T since an even T denotes 2 gap responsibility.

If Wade really expected our LDE to play 4T, then Easley is miscast because he's a penetrating 1gap guy, not a space eating 2 gap guy.

Essentially, i think we're seeing it the same way, but I really don't see Wade using Easley much as a 4T nor Brockers as a 0T. Not a 2 gap 0T like Poe, anyway.

But we'll see. We know he adapts to his personnel.

I'm saying that they align a little differently than you had it. I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, just nitpicking.

However, I'm not sold that Easley will be starting. If you look at how he did things in Denver, Brockers makes more sense as the strong side DE.(Derek Wolfe) He likes to have a bigger, more powerful guy there to protect the ILB behind him. And I expect if we use Barron as that ILB, he'll want to protect him with a bigger DL.(which means that the strong side DE will be attacking the B Gap more often)

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This would be a great signing.

Don't forget - this base defense probably won't be on the field all that much - with todays NFL we're more likely to put our nickel D on the field, and I imagine Jarvis Jones would be the one to come off the field in that situation.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
The pats acquired multiple defensive players who weren't very good overall, but used them situationally and got production out of them. Maybe the Rams could do the same.

I was just going to say this @shovelpass - the Pats are masters at getting the right player for the right job. I think I've heard McVay say on a few occasions that it's all about getting the right player for the right situational role in their scheme - I trust these coaches TBH.