LB Jarvis Jones visiting rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I think wade is looking for a big mike linebacker , need someone to fill holes in that 3 4 defense.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Good edge setter high motor guy, really good against the run. Has shown nothing as a pass rusher after dominating the SEC and we all know how Snead loves the SEC. Maybe Wade can scheme him into some more sacks.

Bottom line not alot out there in terms of 3-4 OLBs and the Rams could do alot worse in terms of stopgaps as they develop guys wade picks in the draft

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm surprised so many people pass when all we've heard for a week now was we need LB depth. I'd sign this guy on the cheap in a damned heartbeat and let Wade see what he can make of him.

WvuIN02

Starter
I think Jones usually starts and Harrison would come in on passing downs but I could be wrong. Didn't watch many steelers games.
I watch every Steelers and Rams game. He was drafted as a pass rusher, hes had 6 sacks in 4 years in a defense that is loaded with good linemen and who rush their outside linebackers constantly. Steelers corners are better tacklers than JJ is as well. Add in he is too slow to play in space, and his role is basically bad insurance policy.

His speed was not NFL level and I think his congenital spine issue was a bigger deal than the doctors realized when he was drafted. Hes the worst 1st round draft pick the Steelers have had since I can remember, maybe since the Jamaine Stephens pick in the late 90s. I'd say if the Rams can get Hightower it would be a much better use of money. I dont even know what role JJ would serve on this team other than a bad backup who is "ok" against the run.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Why bother? Josh Forrest can do as much as Jarvis Jones. Connor Bars in is better than Jones. If they want him I the middle then Zach Brown is a much, much better option.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jones is a role player. He can defend the run and handle coverage responsibilities well. He's never been able to rush the passer like he did in college. I'm all for it at the right price. We have nothing at SOLB right now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why bother? Josh Forrest can do as much as Jarvis Jones. Connor Bars in is better than Jones. If they want him I the middle then Zach Brown is a much, much better option.

Zach isn't a thumper inside. He's a smaller version of Ogletree. Forrest isn't a SOLB.

WvuIN02

Starter
Jones was benched by the end and hes terrible.

The Steelers rotation at linebacker became James Harrison, Bud Dupree, Arthur Moats and Anthony Chickillo as soon as Dupree was back this year. Jones is simply not an NFL player, and the analytics were dead on. He was in the bottom 14th percentile for outside linebackers in that draft, and no player has been successful in the NFL with those kinds of numbers. Too slow to rush, too slow to cover, and would have been benched a lot earlier had Bud Dupree not been injured but the Steelers were that thin at OLB.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
What would Forrest play in a 3-4 ?
I am still trying to figure out the 3-4 so would Forrest be the the Will or MLB? Confused...
I thought Forrest made a couple of good plays off of the edge on the strong side. I guess it depends on where Phillips wants to put him. I hope Forrest can comeback from his injury and continue to develop.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
in regards to Forrest....
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/josh-forrest?id=2555167

2555167.jpg

Josh Forrest (ILB)
HT: 6'3" WT: 249LBS.

POSITION: ILB

SCHOOL: Kentucky

ARM LENGTH: 33 1/2"

HANDS: 9 1/2"

Overview
Although Forrest didn't play football until his junior year of high school, he did enough there (14 touchdowns receiving, seven interceptions -- three returned for touchdowns) to earn a scholarship from the Wildcats. After two years as a reserve, Forrest took over as a starter, leading the team in tackles in each of the past two seasons (110 in 2014, 93 in 2015). He also made plays in the passing game, intercepting two passes each year (including a 81-yard pick six against Louisville this year).

Pro Day Results

40-yard dash: 4.78 and 4.85 seconds
20-yard short shuttle: 4/22 seconds
3-cone drill: 7.48 seconds

• SELECTED BY: Rams
  • ROUND: 6
  • PICK (OVERALL): 15 (190)
PICK ANALYSIS:
The former WR is rangy with the athleticism and length the Rams could test off the edge. He's a solid late round addition to a team that needs depth at this position. --Mark Dulgerian

COMBINE STATS
  • 40 YARD DASH: 4.91 SEC
  • BENCH PRESS: 11 REPS
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 30.5 INCH
  • BROAD JUMP: 118.0 INCH

ANALYSIS
Strengths
Tall, long-limbed and athletic. Was used all over the field by Kentucky staff. Has 202 tackles during his two-year stint as starter. Has plus chase speed. Lateral quickness is a strength. Length and closing burst gives him extended range to make tackles. Has quick direction change to put himself in position for difficult open field finishes. Uses hand and foot quickness to sidestep and brush away blockers targeting him on second level. Frequently used as blitzer and gap shooter. Able to "get skinny" and sneak through crevices and into the backfield.

Weaknesses
Could use more strength in his lower half. Needs to add play strength to avoid being washed down against run. Physical tight ends can push him at point of attack. Too upright on downhill charges and blitzes. Gets jostled out of the play by redirect blocks. Effort runs hot and cold. As tackler, below average job of breaking down in space. Relies on catch-and-drag technique over chesting up and finishing. Had nine broken and 22 missed tackles over last two years. Slow to diagnose and gets few head starts on the play. Average awareness in pass coverage and needs to get better at squeezing targets in his zone.

Draft Projection
Rounds 5 or 6

Bottom Line
With his athleticism and length, teams may be tempted to try him out as an edge rusher, but he is a much better straight-line blitzer through the A and B gaps than he is around the edge. Forrest is a WILL linebacker with the size and range teams look for, but his combination of average instincts and wasted movement in space could be an indicator of up-and-down play in the pros.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
jones fits the ILB of Wade's Def, great vs Run and able to handle some coverage responsibility that wade expects from his Inside Backers

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Didn't Mr. Forest sustain a torn ACL near the end of last year? If so his availability for 2017 is extremely questionable at best.
Anyone have any info or updates on this young Ram?

~ArkyRamsFan~

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't Mr. Forest sustain a torn ACL near the end of last year? If so his availability for 2017 is extremely questionable at best.
Anyone have any info or updates on this young Ram?

~ArkyRamsFan~
He did in like week 10 I think it was. No word as far as I can see on how his recovery is going.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
He did in like week 10 I think it was. No word as far as I can see on how his recovery is going.

Thanks, Old School. That is what I thought.
Really doubt we can count on Forest to do much at all this year. Heck when Gurley had his ACL it was early in September of the preceding year and it still took more than a year for him to get on the field and, even then, most were saying he never attained full speed and usage on his knee until after the year.

Even with modern medical technology ACL injuries are still a bear.......