LB Corps

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
So a couple things I think have played into the LB corps for this season.

2 surprise cuts...Hull and Dunbar. Well, on the surface the timing of Dunbar seems odd...and obviously Hull seemed like a good backup at all 3 spots and has some experience that none of the rookies do. However, the 3 rookies showed a great deal of potential. Perhaps the bright upside proved valuable/ worth the risk in releasing the tenured vets AND their higher contracts.

Secondly, I think the Rams are onto something that you might see more teams start doing...former safeties turned LB. With the freak hybrid TE becoming more and more the norm, I think the Rams getting these fast athletic LBs that still have some size makes all the sense in the world...and who better to cover a fast TE than someone with the size of a LB and speed of a DB?

Ogletree and Ray Ray might just be the trend-setters of the copy-cat NFL.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Great points. You definitely want to target players that can stay on the field for all 3 downs and, especially when you have all these offenses going up-tempo more.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Sum1BTRthnU seeing the future:

Having OLBs who can play all three downs has always been advantageous but it's even more so for the reasons you stated. It's nice to see the Rams being the trendsetters in anything. :bg:

nighttrain

Legend
albefree69 said:
Sum1BTRthnU seeing the future:

Having OLBs who can play all three downs has always been advantageous but it's even more so for the reasons you stated. It's nice to see the Rams being the trendsetters in anything. :bg:
first the GSOT and now our defense could be cutting edge. Been some time for the faithful, but good things happen to those with patience
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sum1BTRthnU said:
So a couple things I think have played into the LB corps for this season.

2 surprise cuts...Hull and Dunbar. Well, on the surface the timing of Dunbar seems odd...and obviously Hull seemed like a good backup at all 3 spots and has some experience that none of the rookies do.

Yes both releases caught me sideways and totally unexpected. I was way behind the curve badly on this event. :oops: I knew that those four rookies were all having great camps & after yrs of the Rams never developing any UDFA's @ LB'er just took it as things as usual :snooze: ing this developing situation here. I did not have a clue!

However, the 3 rookies showed a great deal of potential. Perhaps the bright upside proved valuable/ worth the risk in releasing the tenured vets AND their higher contracts.

I watched a lot of Tree cause he was on the field so much in pre season & thought that his run game was awful. So I deduced that both Dunbar & Hull were sure things because both could play outside. But Ray Ray Armstrong just shined his play in both run & pass support was very good for a rookie very Unusual. Bates was all over the field when he got his chance & shined the brightest on ST's & Stewart was a brute @ MLB'er something not seen here in a long long time.

The contract side ...it does become a serious factor on these young vets who are just average players like Hull & Dunbar. The thing that pops out @ me on these two release Rams is they have issues in their passing game. Hull lacks the now needed speed & the short Dunbar can not cover the TE's period. But the Rams needed some running around pocket $$$ & both these players releases gives help on that part.

Secondly, I think the Rams are onto something that you might see more teams start doing...former safeties turned LB. With the freak hybrid TE becoming more and more the norm, I think the Rams getting these fast athletic LBs that still have some size makes all the sense in the world...and who better to cover a fast TE than someone with the size of a LB and speed of a DB?

Well yes sorta teams have been turning safeties into LB'ers since I can remember. Not every person is full grown @ 21 or 22 yrs of age. We all know that our brains take a decade or longer into our 30's to start to fully functioning if at all so the frame will grow after college. In the case of Tree & Ray Ray you can not argue against their safety past playing a major part to their rise of current fame with the Rams.

fact is the Rams have a serious high mountain to tackle right out of the box due to facing two of the most powerful NFL teams four times & their dynamic running/option QB's. As we all know speed & quickness is a MUST! Rams replaced Hull & Dunbar & also got something else besides speed & quickness.....Rams gained 7 inches or more in height on that exchange with the 6-4 & 6-3 rookies. I think the release of Dunbar clears the way for Ray Ray to start soon. I know ray Ray has backed up Tree but Ray Ray will cease the starting OLB'er post from Spoon very quickly. When did the number #50 on a Ram jersey have any worth? how long?

As far as the run support ?? by the rookies??? expressed by Memphis Ram well his concerns have solid merit ...Tree until the last game had shown very little desire on this part on the other hand Ray Ray is a magnet to it and he does very well.

Not so sure if we here @ ROD world really know how fortunes have changed since the Snead & Fisher combo hooked up. I have very proud to be a Ram fan with these leaders @ the helm.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams are thin at LB. Jonathan Stewart is sidelined with a hip-pointer and if he can't play on Sunday, that leaves the Rams with just 5 LBers. Spoon, JL, and Ogletree., with Bates and Ray Ray for backup. So what happens if JL does down? Spoon moves to MLB, Ray Ray takes over for Spoon, and then they only have one LB to spell the three on the field. Guess they will just have to go with nickel packages? Pretty thin and not much experience if Spoon or JL get hurt. I'd like to see them sign a vet before Sunday.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bubbaramfan said:
Rams are thin at LB. Jonathan Stewart is sidelined with a hip-pointer and if he can't play on Sunday, that leaves the Rams with just 5 LBers. Spoon, JL, and Ogletree., with Bates and Ray Ray for backup. So what happens if JL does down? Spoon moves to MLB, Ray Ray takes over for Spoon, and then they only have one LB to spell the three on the field. Guess they will just have to go with nickel packages? Pretty thin and not much experience if Spoon or JL get hurt. I'd like to see them sign a vet before Sunday.
So I think we can understand why Fisher would be pissed that Dunbar tested dirty.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
bubbaramfan said:

I just do not have the concerns on this matter as you bubbaramfan but you have merit...We are playing the Cards here @ home in the dome. If WW was to vacate his starting OSLB'er to MLB'er then we will see Ray Ray Armstrong take over @ OSLB'er. Fact is I want Ray Ray to get on the field he will rock the dome with his play he is a firestarter!

Cards are trying to build a pass happy offense currently but they will have to run the ball to keep the Rams pass rushers off their pocket passer. So we should see the run early & often. RB Rashard Mendenhall has killed the Rams defense before in yrs past but this defense is not the same defense he blew off the field before. Rashard Mendenhall has been slowed by a sore knee too.

I believe that this Cards OL will not open large holes against this Ram DL. They will be better playing the pass on us & will have some success but the Rams will get some turnovers & secure the lead early thus we will playing the Nickle full time by the half. Rams will play 5 to 6 DB's often in this game... IMO large amounts of Lb'ers not needed.

fearsomefour

Legend
For the reasons stated above I think Ogletree was such a great pick. He adds to the front seven speed, key in dealing with the scamper QBs two division rivals have....and his ability (in theory) to cover big, explosive TEs.
There may be rough moments in the learning curve, but, the eventual starting LB corp of Ogletree/JL/Armstrong could be very dynamic.