LB Akeem Ayers agrees on 2-year deal with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I envy you Ramrocket, because you know almost as much as Snead about the draft. I'm not joking.
I really believe that. Of course, you don't have the resources to run background checks on the 2015 draft class. I wonder sometimes, what certain members of ROD could do with Snead's private eyes and scouting resources. Don't laugh. I'm serious, and perhaps a little bit tipsy.(y):giggle:

Thanks Ramsey, I appreciate the compliment but I am in no way that accomplished in draft matters. There are some on this board who are extremely impressive (Jrry, Den, Coach, I'm looking at you among others :) )

I do wonder what it would be like to spend time with Snead during the draft process. It would be eye opening I reckon.

rdw

Pro Bowler
To give everyone an idea how our D will look against opposing offenses in 2015
032THLp.gif

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Hopefully we can wipe the gross Patriot smell off him before he gets into the locker room.. Maybe fumigate his house?

RamBill

Legend
Rams sign Patriots LB Ayers to free-agent deal
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_d1e701ca-e698-5736-8000-6acd2d442318.html

As Super Bowl-saving defensive plays go, it wasn’t quite “The Tackle” authored by Rams linebacker Mike Jones against Tennessee 15 years ago in Super Bowl XXXIV.

But New England probably doesn’t win last month’s Super Bowl against Seattle without linebacker Akeem Ayers helping bring down Marshawn Lynch on the one-yard line in the closing moments of the game. Teammate Dont’a Hightower finished off the tackle, and on the next play Seattle’s Russell Wilson threw that startling interception to give the Patriots a 28-24 victory.

Ayers’ next NFL tackle will be made as a Ram. He signed a two-year free-agent deal Thursday night worth $6 million, with $3 million of that total guaranteed. With incentives, the contract could max out at $10 million. As such, the Los Angeles native is the first outside free agent to sign with the Rams this offseason.

Ayers, 26, is an outside linebacker with pass-rush ability but is considered so-so against the run. At 6-3, 255, the strong-side linebacker position (over the tight end) best suits him in the Rams’ 4-3 scheme. That starting spot was manned by Jo-Lonn Dunbar last season, but the Rams are looking to add depth as well as talent to the linebacker unit so Dunbar’s spot on the roster may not necessarily be in jeopardy.

Dunbar counts a modest $1.35 million against the salary cap this season, and the Rams just paid him a modest $125,000 roster bonus due the second day of the league year (Wednesday).

Ayers signed his contract at Rams Park at the end of the visit. He left town shortly thereafter and was unavailable to the media.

Versatile and athletic, Ayers entered the league in 2011 out of UCLA as a second-round pick by Tennessee. He started 43 games in his first three seasons in Nashville, recording career highs of 104 tackles and six sacks in a breakout 2012 season.

But his production dropped in 2013 (49 tackles, one sack), a year in which he played all 16 games but had knee issues. He underwent two knee surgeries that offseason, and it appeared as if the Titans gave up on him in 2014.

He didn’t play in five of Tennessee’s first seven games last season, and then was traded in October along with a seventh-round pick to New England in exchange for a sixth-rounder from the Patriots.

Ayers provided an immediate spark to the New England defense with three sacks in his first four games. In nine regular-season games (and four starts) with the Patriots he had four sacks and an interception. But the addition of free-agent edge-rusher Jabaal Sheard made Ayers expendable this offseason there.

There is coaching familiarity with Ayers on the Rams’ staff from his time in Tennessee. Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was with Ayers two years ago as the Titans’ senior defensive assistant. Current Rams linebackers coach Frank Bush was his position coach in Tennessee in 2011 and 2012.

Undoubtedly, Williams is already scheming up packages for Ayers, adding to an already formidable Rams pass rush.

Ayers wasn’t the only free agent at Rams Park on Thursday. Detroit defensive tackle Nick Fairley also was in the building on a visit and the Rams were pushing hard to sign him before he left town.

The Rams have a penchant for signing Auburn players — it’s where general manager Les Snead went to college and where one of coach Jeff Fisher’s sons once played — and Fairley was the Southeastern Conference defensive player of the year and Lombardi Award winner in 2010.

He was drafted 13th overall by the Lions in 2011, just one spot ahead of Rams two-time Pro Bowler Robert Quinn in that year’s draft.

In four up-and-down seasons with the Lions, Fairley played in 46 games with 30 starts. He had six sacks in 2013 and 5½ in 2012. Prior to this coming season, Detroit declined to exercise his fifth-year option, reportedly having concerns about his weight and motivation.

Fairley, 27, played as heavily as 320 pounds in 2013, but trimmed down to 290 pounds entering the 2014 campaign. Knee problems limited him to eight games last season, a year in which he recorded a career-low 14 tackles and matched his career low with one sack.

Were he to join the Rams, the thought is that ex-Marine Mike Waufle — the team’s defensive line coach — could keep Fairley motivated. With the release of Kendall Langford, Fairley could play the role of third defensive tackle in the rotation behind starter Michael Brockers and 2014 NFL defensive rookie of the year Aaron Donald.

Fairley visited Cincinnati earlier this week prior to heading to St. Louis.

On the offensive line front, two free agents the Rams have on their radar — former Oakland center Steve Wisniewski and former Atlanta guard Justin Blalock — were visiting elsewhere Thursday. After visiting Tampa Bay Wednesday and leaving without a contract, Wisniewski headed to Seattle for another visit. If he leaves the Seahawks without a deal, he could visit St. Louis. Blalock was in Detroit on Thursday and is expected to visit the Rams if he doesn’t sign with the Lions.

At the moment, the Rams are looking for starters at center (with the release of Scott Wells), guard, and right tackle on the offensive line. Free agent Joe Barksdale, the Rams starting right tackle the past two seasons, has yet to make a visit anywhere.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
And a gif from Sam Bradford's childhood on the farm just now shows up?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just happen to watch the Pats & Packers game on NFL network. Ayers was the starting Right OSLBer in the base 34 defense for much of that game. He was impressive he is what they have said about him above. He was used going forward most of the time and does have a good first step in his pass rush. Not sure what that means to RDE Chris Long & main back up RDE William Hayes ??? Ayers is sure to bring some concern if he happens to rush in with Chris on that right side and with Robert Quinn flashing in from the left ???

We do know that Hayes will be in his final yr of his second Ram contract this season & will be 30 before this season concludes. Long will also be 30 before this seasons ends. Gregg could also be thinking of using the rather stout& thicker 6-3 285 plus Hayes more inside if needed. Gregg also has the quicker smaller youngin Ethan Westbrooks 6-4 267 as the back up to RDE too. Don't take this the wrong way here but Gregg sure watched the play from the right DE take a serious nose dive in 2014. RDE Hayes & Long(injury) just did not produce the same as in previous yrs. I am sure that is a concern that may have brought in this signing. I have already voiced my concerns of the CL 2014 injury & surgery ....& will be looking at him early this pre season to see if his play continues to drop off. My hope is CL just came back way too early.

Looks to me all this defense really needs is a back up to NT Brockers! Bottom Line here this looks to be be an outstanding signing by Snead. Congrats Ayers! Welcome aboard!

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have watched a bit of Pats football over the year and cant say this guy stands out to me.
Not unhappy at all with the signing just dont know much about him other than seeing his stats.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Love this^ signing. We can really concentrate on our O now, in the Draft, with the signing of Ayers, and Fairly!!(y)(y)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Looks to me all this defense really needs is a back up to NT Brockers! Bottom Line here this looks to be be an outstanding signing by Snead. Congrats Ayers! Welcome aboard!

Looks like you get your wish. Fairley just signed. Technically Worthington is more of the NT though.