Laurinaitis: Yards gained, yards allowed ... doesn't matter.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
"The object is to score more points than the other team," middle linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "However many yards we put up or yards we didn't allow on defense, all that, doesn't matter."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracke ... ms-preview

So what's the remedy? What's holding the Rams back from scoring in the redzone?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Re: Laurinaitis: Yards gained, yards allowed ... doesn't mat

Lack of skill with the o-line and receiver positions.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

bluecoconuts said:
The Oline problems are two-fold. Having to use backups at 3 positions and the lack of consistency early on (when Wells hardly played in preseason and Ojinnaka who did was cut). Cohesion in the goal-line run game can't develop with Ojinnaka in. Too much weight is placed on the RB to find the hole.

The Oline hampers the pass game similarly, but it's worse in the close quarters of the redzone, especially if they decide to keep TEs and/or RBs back for pass-pro. There's just not enough space for the few targets. It takes scheme and WR/QB skill to get it done.

The receivers have to keep moving--which was Amendola's gift in the redzone--and Bradford has to trust that someone will get open, even if the window is smaller than he likes.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Ram Quixote said:
bluecoconuts said:
The Oline problems are two-fold. Having to use backups at 3 positions and the lack of consistency early on (when Wells hardly played in preseason and Ojinnaka who did was cut). Cohesion in the goal-line run game can't develop with Ojinnaka in. Too much weight is placed on the RB to find the hole.

The Oline hampers the pass game similarly, but it's worse in the close quarters of the redzone, especially if they decide to keep TEs and/or RBs back for pass-pro. There's just not enough space for the few targets. It takes scheme and WR/QB skill to get it done.

The receivers have to keep moving--which was Amendola's gift in the redzone--and Bradford has to trust that someone will get open, even if the window is smaller than he likes.

It also doesn't help if stupid penalties committed by the O-line (i.e., Ojinnaka's hands to the face penalty) take us out of the redzone and - in some cases - out of field goal range. The fact that we're still starting Ojinnaka speaks volumes to our lack of depth at guard. Dahl, Turner, and Barry Richardson haven't exactly helped their causes either. Never thought I'd say this, but Wayne Hunter has easily been the best player on our offensive line, and it's not even close. There's a reason why Kendricks is almost never used in the passing game, and it's not for lack of talent.

Our wideouts can't get open in the endzone. I don't know if you draft another big target or two to help with that (a tall wide receiver who gets a lot of redzone touchdowns and potentially a tight end who's 6'5" or above to compliment Kendricks), but that has to change. We're not getting it done with what we have.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

Memento said:
Ram Quixote said:
bluecoconuts said:

It also doesn't help if stupid penalties committed by the O-line (i.e., Ojinnaka's hands to the face penalty) take us out of the redzone and - in some cases - out of field goal range. The fact that we're still starting Ojinnaka speaks volumes to our lack of depth at guard. Dahl, Turner, and Barry Richardson haven't exactly helped their causes either. Never thought I'd say this, but Wayne Hunter has easily been the best player on our offensive line, and it's not even close. There's a reason why Kendricks is almost never used in the passing game, and it's not for lack of talent.

Our wideouts can't get open in the endzone. I don't know if you draft another big target or two to help with that (a tall wide receiver who gets a lot of redzone touchdowns and potentially a tight end who's 6'5" or above to compliment Kendricks), but that has to change. We're not getting it done with what we have.
Of course, all these reasons don't preclude the Rams from succeeding in the redzone. Schotty did pretty well last year with the Jets, and they had very similar Oline problems. The difference right now is confidence. They need to experience consistent success, and I guess much of that is going to fall on Schotty. That may not be fair but that's life as an NFL coach.

I do believe the redzone problem is transitory; they will improve as Quick and Givens do, as the Oline casualties return. Perhaps the OG backup Smith will be given a shot over Ojinnaka.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Ram Quixote said:
I do believe the redzone problem is transitory; they will improve as Quick and Givens do, as the Oline casualties return. Perhaps the OG backup Smith will be given a shot over Ojinnaka.

Agreed. I also think getting another true #1 receiver (I like Quick's potential, but it doesn't hurt to have more) will really improve things as well. It's a process, but I expect us to make a sudden jump in redzone percentage once we have health and rookies are better developed.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Bad playcalling.

Just run up the gut w/ Jack or DRich.

It's not right that a RB doesn't have a rushing TD. It just isn't.

Now I think Schotty is doing a better job than McD, using what he has.

Yes I realize there's more to playcalling than "just run up the gut."

But every week, every team when they get to the goalline, they almost always seem to score a rushing TD. Why can't the Rams? OL ehh...so a career 1000 yard rush w/ bad OLs can't get a couple yards? Is that the logic?

Here's a question, when was the last time SJack had a multi rushing TD game? In 2008 against the Cowboys?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

Good stuff here. Agree with you all actually. More aggressive play calling would be nice as well. If you are going to throw it, throw it IN the END ZONE and let a WR make a play. More rollouts on pass plays. More misdirection altogether. The redzone will absolutely expose a team without those options. It has exposed the Rams for YEARS now. Lot's of damn years. I remember when the Rams went from GSOT to 17 PPG. It has gone downhill ever since.