Latest On Rams TE Tyler Higbee

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

July 16th, 2022 at 9:52am CST by Ben Levine

1658064553529.png

Tight end Tyler Higbee has transformed into a core member of the Rams offense, and it sounds like he’ll be ready to go for the start of training camp. According to Jourdan Rodrigue, Higbee is expected to be fully cleared from his knee injury by the start of the regular season (if not sooner).

Higbee suffered a knee injury during the NFC Championship Game, landing him on injured reserve and forcing him to miss the Rams Super Bowl victory. The injury later required surgery, and while the rehab meant Higbee couldn’t immediately dive into his offseason routine, he was already back to practicing by May.

“The knee’s coming along very well,” Higbee said at the time (h/t to Cameron DeSilva of USA Today). “I’ve been staying on top of rehab and getting after it, started getting on the field a couple of weeks ago; they’re slowly working me back in, knowing we’ve got some time before the season.”

Higbee, a former fourth-round pick, has had at least 40 receptions and 500 receiving yards in each of the past three seasons. With Matthew Stafford taking over in Los Angeles, Higbee continued producing on offense, finishing the 2021 campaign with 61 receptions for 560 yards and five touchdowns. In three playoff games, he added another nine receptions for 115 yards.

Former running backs coach Thomas Brown is now taking over as the Rams TE coach. If Higbee is slowed a bit to start training camp, Brown will have some depth to turn to for reps. While the team lost number-two tight end Johnny Mundt this offseason, they’re still rostering the likes of Kendall Blanton, Brycen Hopkins, Kyle Markway, Roger Carter, Jamal Pettigrew, and Jared Pinkney.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

July 16th, 2022 at 9:52am CST by Ben Levine

View attachment 55100

Tight end Tyler Higbee has transformed into a core member of the Rams offense, and it sounds like he’ll be ready to go for the start of training camp. According to Jourdan Rodrigue, Higbee is expected to be fully cleared from his knee injury by the start of the regular season (if not sooner).

Higbee suffered a knee injury during the NFC Championship Game, landing him on injured reserve and forcing him to miss the Rams Super Bowl victory. The injury later required surgery, and while the rehab meant Higbee couldn’t immediately dive into his offseason routine, he was already back to practicing by May.

“The knee’s coming along very well,” Higbee said at the time (h/t to Cameron DeSilva of USA Today). “I’ve been staying on top of rehab and getting after it, started getting on the field a couple of weeks ago; they’re slowly working me back in, knowing we’ve got some time before the season.”

Higbee, a former fourth-round pick, has had at least 40 receptions and 500 receiving yards in each of the past three seasons. With Matthew Stafford taking over in Los Angeles, Higbee continued producing on offense, finishing the 2021 campaign with 61 receptions for 560 yards and five touchdowns. In three playoff games, he added another nine receptions for 115 yards.

Former running backs coach Thomas Brown is now taking over as the Rams TE coach. If Higbee is slowed a bit to start training camp, Brown will have some depth to turn to for reps. While the team lost number-two tight end Johnny Mundt this offseason, they’re still rostering the likes of Kendall Blanton, Brycen Hopkins, Kyle Markway, Roger Carter, Jamal Pettigrew, and Jared Pinkney.
How the Rams build/combine the WR and TE room will be interesting. Jacob Harris is listed back and forth TE/WR.

Here is a snip from Jourdan;

Because the receivers and tight ends are in some ways interchangeable in the Rams’ offense (Kupp essentially plays a mini-tight end in a lot of his run-blocking concepts, while tight ends who are pass-catching mismatches are a big asset for McVay), I’m including both positions here. Further, in recent years there has been more potential for positional overlap than ever, as second-year receiver Ben Skowronek could flex into a tight end role while second-year tight end Jacob Harris should flex outward from the stack as a mismatch receiver.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Need Higbee.
Unsung imo.
Reliable.
Had Higbee been playing, OBJ Super Bowl injury would not have been so worrisome.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
How the Rams build/combine the WR and TE room will be interesting. Jacob Harris is listed back and forth TE/WR.

Here is a snip from Jourdan;

Because the receivers and tight ends are in some ways interchangeable in the Rams’ offense (Kupp essentially plays a mini-tight end in a lot of his run-blocking concepts, while tight ends who are pass-catching mismatches are a big asset for McVay), I’m including both positions here. Further, in recent years there has been more potential for positional overlap than ever, as second-year receiver Ben Skowronek could flex into a tight end role while second-year tight end Jacob Harris should flex outward from the stack as a mismatch receiver.
Those 2 guys became friends & roommates this time of year there rookie season(Harris,Sko). They came into training camp all hyped up with that ex-QB from Pittsburgh.Harris hurt himself right away with a core Plat muscle pull ???
Ben Sko & Harris also knew what would help them make the team.Had some photos from last training camp that showed Ben Sko could make plays in the flat.
Bobby Tree’s left a legacy in Cooper Kupp under Mcvay & The Rams.Ben Sko learning from Cooper Kupp is going to help him get to the next level.
Harris IMO is going to have a hard time making the squad. Watching Kendall Blanton last year in camp you could see he was going to make the squad,until he didn’t? I don’t know what happened though ? Can’t recall exactly,but I saw him going over the middle in traffic & the End Zone to make some tough catches.He didn’t get scared & actually made the DB’s have to stay away from breaking up the plays. -Maybe it was the No contact rule? Then again he layed out & made those plays.
Ben Sko & Blanton both got a lot of valuable playing time. They both had a couple of games where they slumped a little bit & didn’t make plays like they should have. I find it interesting that when players get through those tough times they become successful & have arrived.
I also liked the last Brycen Hopkins sighting.
This young TE’s will be hungry.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Former running backs coach Thomas Brown is now taking over as the Rams TE coach.
I have full trust in McVay's estimation of his coaches and he talks Brown up like crazy so I'm sure that's gonna be a great move. But it is interesting that one of the best coaching jobs on the staff last year was Wes Phillips who had both depth TEs primed to the point where they killed it in spot duty in the biggest game of all. It's pretty amazing.

Brown has suffered a lot from injuries to that RB group for sure. But he's really got a big chance here to show what he can do with some young talent. Of all the positions on this year's team TE is one of the most intriguing spots based on how it's structured to go down in camp. Someone is going to win that TE2 role and maybe we get lucky and he's good enough to get on the field on passing downs.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams are fine at Tight End. Higbee is back, and they have two very capable tight ends in reserve. I would go with 3 to start the season and keep a couple of good blockers on the practice squad, just in case. This may give them the room to keep 7 wide receivers on the roster.

Flint

Pro Bowler
We’ve been waiting for Hopkins for a while now, and the fact that he finally showed up when there weren’t many other options makes me hopeful but not terribly confident.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
We’ve been waiting for Hopkins for a while now, and the fact that he finally showed up when there weren’t many other options makes me hopeful but not terribly confident.
It's the blocking that has kept him on the bench.