Late-arriving Van Dyk tries to make most of short stay/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Rams notes: Late-arriving Van Dyk tries to make most of short stay

• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_60f5e436-7247-5120-a098-49a7a7ce46c9.html

Now that he has arrived at Rams Park, Portland State tackle Mitchell Van Dyk does not want to leave.

But he has to.

Van Dyk, the first of four Rams’ seventh-round selections in the recent NFL draft, was unable to attend when the team introduced the other 10 draft picks to the media on Tuesday. He arrived late Thursday and, after a physical, joined the other 23 rookies for skill-development work Friday and Saturday at Rams Park.

But when the rest of the rookies join the veterans in skill-development sessions on Monday, the 6-foot-7, 299-pound Van Dyk will be back in Portland.

That’s because Portland State operates on the quarter system. In 1990, created with encouragement of the American Football Coaches Association, the NFL adopted a rule that limits players to a single minicamp when college is still in session.

Van Dyk will get his degree in criminology and criminal justice on June 15.

“It stinks that I can’t stay and learn along with the other guys, but I’ll make it work,’’ the 23-year-old said. “I’m hoping I can come back for a few days here and there, but if not, I’ll continue to work out on my own and just bury myself in the playbook.’’

Van Dyk has actually completed his classwork and is doing an internship in a crime-prevention program at City Hall in Portland.

“I’ll probably start out as a policeman, but I’d eventually like to work my way into the DEA or ATF or something along those lines,’’ he said.

But for now, football is priority No. 1.

“Getting drafted was in the back of my mind, but I definitely wasn’t counting on it,’’ he said. “When I got the call, I know the people around me, my parents, my girlfriend, my family, got super-excited. But for me, it really didn’t hit home completely until I got here and started walking around the facilities.’’

Van Dyk, who played for his father, Mark, at Paso Robles High in California, was recruited to Portland State by former NFL head coach Jerry Glanville. At that time, however, Van Dyk weighed about 220.

“When I first got to Portland State, they thought I was a quarterback,’’ he recalled. “I’d had a big growth spurt in high school, like five inches in one year, and took me until my sophomore year in college before I was really able to catch up.’’

He won the starting job at right tackle job in 2011 and remained there for three seasons, thriving in a run-heavy Vikings’ attack. He was twice honored as PSU’s offensive lineman of the year and earned All-Big Sky Conference honors last fall after helping the Vikings set school records for total offense (6,486), total offense per game (540.5), rushing yards (3,330), rushing per game (277.7), rushing touchdowns (36) and points per game (34.9).

In addition, Portland State threw the ball 365 times and allowed just 10 sacks.

“We ran the ball and we were pretty good at it,’’ he said. “I’m stronger as a run-blocker, but that just means I’ll have to work harder on pass protection.’’

Van Dyk worked solely at right tackle in college but got a taste of the left side while at the second annual College All-Star Game at Furman University after his senior season.

“I’m lefthanded, so it really didn’t seem like that big an adjustment,’’ he said. “At this point, I know I have a lot to learn and I’m looking forward to that challenge. The last couple of days, being around the guys and getting to know the coaches and people here, it’s really been a blast.

“It’ll be tough to leave, but when I get back for good, I think I’ll be even more fired up.’’

FAST FRIENDS

Aaron Hill, a rookie free agent linebacker from Lutheran St. Charles High and the University of Minnesota said the Rams’ rookies have bonded quickly.

“It’s been great,’’ he said. “There’s a lot of different personalities, guys from all over the nation, but we seem to have meshed pretty well. “Everybody’s been real helpful in terms of asking questions and helping other guys out. It helps being around a bunch of guys dealing with the same challenges.’’

RAM-BLINGS

• Single-game tickets for Rams preseason games against the New Orleans Saints on Friday, Aug. 8 and against the Green Bay Packers on Saturday, Aug. 16, are on sale.

Tickets can be purchased at www.ticketmaster.com or by calling 314-RAMS-TIX.

Tickets for the eight regular-season games at the Edward Jones Dome will go on sale Aug. 1.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Of the last 6 Ram drafty picks & I was given one wish for one of these six to rise above the others it this 6-8 313 pound ORT Van Dyk. Boudreau future job could become considerably easier if this 7th round pick was to materialize into a solid performer behind Joe Barksdale this season. If not .....can you name me the Ram OL reserve that will start if the injury virus that hit four starters last season Long-Saffold-Dahl & Wells were to move over on Barksdale? Sean Hooey?