Last time an SEC Team was not in the NC Game?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Seems like it has been a long time since the SEC did not have a participant in the National Championship Game! It will seem a little strange this year!

moklerman

Warner-phile
Is it just a coincidence that now that teams have to "earn" their way to the Championship game that the SEC isn't represented?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is it just a coincidence that now that teams have to "earn" their way to the Championship game that the SEC isn't represented?

Yep. SEC wasn't as strong this year.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Yep. SEC wasn't as strong this year.
Maybe not, but Alabama was ranked #1 and would have been in the Championship if left to the voters. In a weak year for the SEC they would have still been in. I think bias is still helping that conference.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe not, but Alabama was ranked #1 and would have been in the Championship if left to the voters. In a weak year for the SEC they would have still been in. I think bias is still helping that conference.

The funny thing is if they still had the BCS National Championship Game this season I am guessing the two teams that would have been in it would had been Alabama & FSU (I just don't think they could leave out the only undefeated team in the country who also happens to be the defending National Champions) and they both lost today! So, I guess you could argue that the playoff system worked (Of course, you still might get an argument from TCU!).

moklerman

Warner-phile
The funny thing is if they still had the BCS National Championship Game this season I am guessing the two teams that would have been in it would had been Alabama & FSU (I just don't think they could leave out the only undefeated team in the country who also happens to be the defending National Champions) and they both lost today! So, I guess you could argue that the playoff system worked (Of course, you still might get an argument from TCU!).
"Worked"? Maybe not that strong of a sentiment but works "better" I can certainly endorse.

When they first announced they'd decided to go with a playoff system I hadn't really envisioned them playing only 4 teams. I thought it would be at least 8 or each conference winner or something along those lines. 4 is better than what they had before though and I think it did wind up pairing the two best teams so the new system is off to a good start.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It was clear this year that Alabama was not as good as they have been.

There was no bias the past few years. The fact that the SEC won that long string of NCs in a row shows that playoffs or not, they would have deserved to have been there. Which teams wouldn't have made it in your opinion?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I have nothing against the SEC they play outstanding football and deserve all the credit for their success, however, it was nice for my Buckeyes to defeat Alabama. Really tired of the Tide because it seems every year when they lose pundits and others want to still keep them number one.

Great win for Ohio State and I am not sure they will be able to defeat a great Oregon team, but I guess I am more pleased to defeat the Crimson Tide than the SEC, however, it was a Big Day for the Big Ten yesterday as Wisconsin, Michigan State and Ohio State were all victorious and beating the SEC in two out of three of the contests which in the words of Meat Loaf ain't bad!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have nothing against the SEC they play outstanding football and deserve all the credit for their success, however, it was nice for my Buckeyes to defeat Alabama. Really tired of the Tide because it seems every year when the lose pundits and others want still keep them number one.

Great win for Ohio State and I am not sure they will be able to defeat a great Oregon team, but I guess I am more pleased to defeat the Crimson Tide than the SEC, however, it was a Big Day for the Big Ten yesterday as Wisconsin, Michigan State and Ohio State were all victorious and beating the SEC in two out of three of the contests which in the words of Meat Loaf ain't bad!

They better beat Oregon.

BTW, Cardale Jones needs to declare for the draft. That's one developmental prospect I'd take a shot on.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They better beat Oregon.

BTW, Cardale Jones needs to declare for the draft. That's one developmental prospect I'd take a shot on.

Thanks....He's big, strong and can throw the ball through a brick wall, plus he can move too. I don't disagree with him having some huge upside and he already has one of the best nicknames in "12 Gauge."

moklerman

Warner-phile
It was clear this year that Alabama was not as good as they have been.

There was no bias the past few years. The fact that the SEC won that long string of NCs in a row shows that playoffs or not, they would have deserved to have been there. Which teams wouldn't have made it in your opinion?
But isn't that the point? Alabama wasn't as good as they have been yet, there they are ranked at #1 at the end of the year and would have been in the NC if not for the playoff system. Maybe it's reasonable, but the SEC gets bias in it's favor.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But isn't that the point? Alabama wasn't as good as they have been yet, there they are ranked at #1 at the end of the year and would have been in the NC if not for the playoff system. Maybe it's reasonable, but the SEC gets bias in it's favor.

No. That's not the point you were making.

moklerman

Warner-phile
No. That's not the point you were making.
moklerman said:
Seems like the exact point I was making. Maybe I'm reading myself wrong.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would you think that? My question doesn't contradict my implication.

Yes, it does. You asked if it was a coincidence. I told you yes. That is where the argument started. The clear implication there is that you don't believe it is. Which means, you believe some of the past SEC teams wouldn't have "earned" their way in. Am I misinterpreting your original question?

Is there "bias" this year? Possibly. I'm still not sold there is. Alabama beat a lot of good teams this year. Who should have been ranked above them? Oregon? Both teams had 1 loss to a ranked team and Alabama had more quality wins. FSU? A lot of people didn't think they should even be in the top 4 due to the lack of quality wins...but I could understand them being #1 since they were undefeated. Ohio State? They lost to Virginia Tech and had less quality wins.

I don't really see bias in Alabama being #1. Just a better system for determining who the best team is in a year where the SEC clearly isn't as strong as they were in the past...of course, there was no way to know that until bowl season.

So bias? Maybe unconscious...but it's easily understandable with how strong the SEC has been in the past. And I don't know that I'd call it bias.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Yes, it does. You asked if it was a coincidence. I told you yes. That is where the argument started. The clear implication there is that you don't believe it is. Which means, you believe some of the past SEC teams wouldn't have "earned" their way in. Am I misinterpreting your original question?

Is there "bias" this year? Possibly. I'm still not sold there is. Alabama beat a lot of good teams this year. Who should have been ranked above them? Oregon? Both teams had 1 loss to a ranked team and Alabama had more quality wins. FSU? A lot of people didn't think they should even be in the top 4 due to the lack of quality wins...but I could understand them being #1 since they were undefeated. Ohio State? They lost to Virginia Tech and had less quality wins.

I don't really see bias in Alabama being #1. Just a better system for determining who the best team is in a year where the SEC clearly isn't as strong as they were in the past...of course, there was no way to know that until bowl season.

So bias? Maybe unconscious...but it's easily understandable with how strong the SEC has been in the past. And I don't know that I'd call it bias.
So....you're saying there's bias for the SEC.

I think it's pretty obvious there is bias from the east coast and the SEC benefits from it in media coverage and praise. That's not to say they don't have good teams but with so much of the previous system based on opinion, it's naive to think voters weren't influenced by the SEC's reputation.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So....you're saying there's bias for the SEC.

I think it's pretty obvious there is bias from the east coast and the SEC benefits from it in media coverage and praise. That's not to say they don't have good teams but with so much of the previous system based on opinion, it's naive to think voters weren't influenced by the SEC's reputation.

Yes and no. This year, I think there was...but you had no way of knowing until bowl season. Because, in the past, the reputation was earned. So yes. it is a coincidence.