Last play of the game - Rams v Detroit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is Chris Spielman breaking down the play.
A few things come to mind.

1. Keenum doesn't look off the zone defender

2. Keenum had nowhere else to look, because the zone defender has no one else to cover. Could have had another receiver in the Y instead of letting Gurley peel off underneath. Didn't need underneath stuff.

3. I can't blame Keenum for thinking he had the play. I wouldn't have anticipated a pick there either.

4. Coverage (for once) was on point for Detroit.

Anyway. Feel free to discuss.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOhNKm3qBPg

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
He had a great game, it shouldn't come down to the last drive of the game.
Disappointed for losing the game, Yes !
Disappointed about the last drive, No .

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gurley in the check down had one guy to beat and room to run , but hindsight is 20/20 . Keenum played darn good but I dont why he makes that throw.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gurley in the check down had one guy to beat and room to run , but hindsight is 20/20 . Keenum played darn good but I dont why he makes that throw.
I don't think he anticipates Bush breaking on that ball.
And if he doesn't (break on the ball), that's a big gainer.
Feel bad for Keenum. What a disappointing way to cap off a career type game.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think he anticipates Bush breaking on that ball.
And if he doesn't (break on the ball), that's a big gainer.
Feel bad for Keenum. What a disappointing way to cap off a career type game.
Agreed . And the worst part of it is was trying to get through 45,000 Lion fans all leaving at the same time . Pretty decent fan base , but there is always the one guy that can't control his mouth . Lol

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
My one take away from practice...Yeah, I said practice, was the Rams coaches, Boras, Groh, Weinke, and Fisher, they don't try to school the QB's on the little stuff like looking off defenders....I noticed Keenum AND Goff did this the ENTIRE practice...No surprise this failure of attention to detail is causing us losses..... I really think you need pro QB's helping QB's....You watch any game with decent QB's....and that's a natural thing to look off a defender every now and then, not stare down targets...every single time...especially on 3rd downs...we NEVER or RARELY do this...and to me, shows a serious lack of professionalism...lack of direction...lack of experience...it's a simple thing, but one Fish & Co. have failed to address. Seems as if Greg Williams would notice this, and tell them...but nooooooo....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Agreed . And the worst part of it is was trying to get through 45,000 Lion fans all leaving at the same time . Pretty decent fan base , but there is always the one guy that can't control his mouth . Lol
Tell me about it. Now I can understand why you were pissed. About 20 years ago I went to a Rams game down in Miami with some friends who were all Dolphins fans. Free ticket, so yeah. Absolutely I'll go. Anyway, Bruce had purchased an entire section of the stadium for underprivileged kids, and all of them were in the stands wearing Bruce jerseys that he also bought for them. It was the most awesome thing I'd seen, so I went over and mingled a little. Turns out he gave to this Organization rather generously every year, because it's where he hung out when he was a kid to stay out of trouble (Bruce was born & raised in South Florida and had 10 siblings). I think there were at least 80 - if not 100 kids there. It was really cool. So anyway, around the 3rd quarter, some drunken asshat degenerate Dolphins fan walks over to me, leans over the railing separating our two sections, while reeking of stale Miami stadium shit draft beer, and says, "Hey <nudge nudge> what're they giving away free watermelon and chicken today?"

Dude.

I smacked that guy in the jaw so hard his hat went back 4 rows (I was on roids at the time).

Luckily anyone who saw it didn't say anything, and my friends rushed me out of the stadium and into the truck faster than Austin runs a 40.
Ever since then I developed a pretty seething hatred for all things Miami.
So yeah, I get it. lol.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tell me about it. Now I can understand why you were pissed. About 20 years ago I went to a Rams game down in Miami with some friends who were all Dolphins fans. Free ticket, so yeah. Absolutely I'll go. Anyway, Bruce had purchased an entire section of the stadium for underprivileged kids, and all of them were in the stands wearing Bruce jerseys that he also bought for them. It was the most awesome thing I'd seen, so I went over and mingled a little. Turns out he gave to this Organization rather generously every year, because it's where he hung out when he was a kid to stay out of trouble (Bruce was born & raised in South Florida and had 10 siblings). I think there were at least 80 - if not 100 kids there. It was really cool. So anyway, around the 3rd quarter, some drunken asshat degenerate Dolphins fan walks over to me, leans over the railing separating our two sections, while reeking of stale Miami stadium crap draft beer, and says, "Hey <nudge nudge> what're they giving away free watermelon and chicken today?"

Dude.

I smacked that guy in the jaw so hard his hat went back 4 rows (I was on roids at the time).

Luckily anyone who saw it didn't say anything, and my friends rushed me out of the stadium and into the truck faster than Austin runs a 40.
Ever since then I developed a pretty seething hatred for all things Miami.
So yeah, I get it. lol.
Awesome story . No free tickets here , but it's priceless when my son got a handful of autographs and Greg the Leg came over and signed my wife's #4 jersey . I bet he doesn't see many of them . I also got Quinn's autograph and he was telling us he was expecting to play but 3 doctors said no go . Nice guy

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Greg the Leg came over and signed my wife's #4 jersey . I bet he doesn't see many of them .
Ha. Probably not. That's pretty cool though. He made her day, I'll bet. And she probably made his too. :LOL:

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
im no expert, but I dont see why he thought he should throw that. whenever you underthrow the ball like that its bound to give the trailing defender an easy shot to undercut it. And he couldnt lead Kendricks cuz the safety was coming. still over a minute left idk why he didnt just hit gurley, and im not only saying that in hindsight but even live i thought thats where he was gonna go.

it seems like the play was a simple 4 verts with a hb checkdown, and he simply tried to do too much. woulda been nice to be a little more creative playcalling wise there, but maybe they saw something they thought they could exploit, idk. either way it was a bad decision by keenum, but it is what it is.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I think the check down to Gurley would have been the best choice on that play, he had a lot of space. could have easily gotten 10 or 15 of the 35 yards we needed. Bad decision on that throw. Oh well, he had a great game otherwise. Need to start another winning streak next week.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
It's a shame the game ended the way it did. Keenum had a great game. Sometimes though the QB has to drive the ball for a game winning TD or tying kick. He can't make that throw on first down. Throw the ball away and live to play another down. It's the QBs job to read the defense and he threw the ball into the teeth of a zone. It was not complicated stuff.

It was nice to see the offense move the ball and great to see him play great but he made a costly mistake at the worst time. He shouldn't get a pass because he played a great game for 58 minutes.

Hopefully he learns from this and next time he is in this type of situation he makes better decisions.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
it seems like the play was a simple 4 verts with a hb checkdown, and he simply tried to do too much. woulda been nice to be a little more creative playcalling wise there, but maybe they saw something they thought they could exploit, idk. either way it was a bad decision by keenum, but it is what it is.
2 9's, a post in the seam, what looked like a comeback, and Gurley.
Kinda surprised they didn't try to work the sidelines, but ... like you said .... is what it is.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
I think Keenum just wanted to make a play. He was having a great game and probably felt confident. The defender made a nice play.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think Keenum just wanted to make a play. He was having a great game and probably felt confident. The defender made a nice play.
Yeah, that's how I see it. He woulda dropped it right in there too if Bush didn't read it perfectly.
Would have been nice if there was another receiver on that side, but whaddaya gonna do?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Huhhhhh, gurley alone, with all that space. Why case why?

Psycho_X

Legend
It was a good play by the defense but still shouldn't have been thrown with the safety up high like that. At best Kendricks was getting his clock cleaned. But having said that, despite the best called game I've seen Boras do I find this play to be awful. There was plenty of time on the clock. Sending everyone deep seems like a bad idea when they are playing so far off. Would have been the perfect time to exploit the underneath a few times. With GZs leg they only needed to make two or three moderate plays. Having the WR outside of Kendricks cut back underneath him would have been nice or Gurley running whatever direction there isn't a zone coverage which would have been to the left.

But hindsight I suppose.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
This is really a play that as much as you want something to happen you have to almost just throw it away. Just good coverage by Detroit plain and simple. Perhaps a check down to Gurley but really nowhere to throw it.

Rainram

Starter
Seems like most of us have the same perception, more or less, with respect to the last play.

Tough way to end it.

But that game was lost due to several other factors.

Case's good game was a result of his own performance, Boras' job, and the wideouts having a really good game (!). Too bad someone/anyone on D couldn't step up.